rons June 4th, 2018 12:24pm

Asian Americans children seem to excel in our school system across the board. Do you think a strong sense of family and family discipline contributes to their scholastic successes?

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
06/05/18 2:01 am

Discipline is huge in their culture. Don’t know if that carries over to Chinese Americans. But, I was a Chinese linguist in the military taught by native Chinese people. They were appalled at the behavior of American students in classrooms.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/04/18 3:51 pm

Coming from a (half) Chinese family, I've always wondered this myself. I have no other experiences to compare my upbringing to, so I don't know how much my success in school was based on our racial identity. It sure wasn't community though, we were the only Asian family in the neighborhood.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/18 2:10 pm

Mostly the second part, not so much the first.

Malekithe Hades
06/04/18 10:10 am

Without a doubt

Jazzy5 USA
06/04/18 12:12 pm

Agree, totally.
I have Japanese, Chinese, Okinawan relatives in my immediate family.
They are driven the same.
I believe we raised our child with that same structure.

JennaB Mother
06/04/18 8:15 am

Let's ask Suki! I'll get back to you.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/04/18 7:53 am

I hate to make blanket statements but as a former educator I will make a couple observations. 1. The #1 predictor of academic success is what happens in the home. This is not up for debate. Money is #2. 2. Studies reveal...and my first hand experience is that Asian families are more academically focused. They work harder in the classroom and on their homework. I have some more anecdotal observations beyond that..but I will stop there.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 8:26 am

Do you give any credence to the fact that 74% of black children are born without a father involved? My parents were lower middleclass with little income. My brother and I worked and went to night college. He became a CPA and I a programmer.
My father made sure we didn’t screw up. My mother nurtured.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/04/18 9:04 am

I am loathe to look at these things through a racial lens. Money, culture & geography have more impact. If you look at single family homes....white or black....there is a lot of challenges associated. Anecdotally...my family was poor & mixed race. I’m doing ok...my (adopted) siblings are train wrecks.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 9:19 am

I’d hate to think asians kids are smart and black kids are dumb. I personally believe having solid family values, parents who control the scholastic agenda of their children make the difference. Many like to make it a money thing and ignore the lack of family involvement. It’s an easy out. The asians in our schools excel and their family lives the same lives as the rest of us. My wife’s grandma lived in the South Bronx, in a 5 story walk up. Hers was the cleanest landing in front of her door. She would say in broken english “soap is cheap”. Point being is you have to work for what you want.

GeezerGolf Show us your papers
06/04/18 12:14 pm

There is also the “x” factor: the inherited certain something that moves the bell curve for IQ 1 Standard Deviation to the right for East Asian populations.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 1:30 pm

Not sure all Chinese and Indians are that smart.

GeezerGolf Show us your papers
06/04/18 1:42 pm

I’m not sure either, it’s a notion that I came away with from reading, I’m not sure where. If you have any info, would like to hear it.

GeezerGolf Show us your papers
06/04/18 1:43 pm

Don’t think India was included either....

gluxford1 Arizona
06/04/18 7:53 am

Without a doubt.

Brrrrrrrrr
06/04/18 7:43 am

Total nonsense. The yellows are simply more intelligent. It’s genetic.

martyt02
06/04/18 7:30 am

I once had a Chinese student in my 3rd grade class in Italy. She was going full day in English, learning an American curriculum, and then going home and keeping up with her Chinese curriculum studies. She was very focussed, to say the least.
( yes, she did have time to enjoy the Italian cultural experiences 😊)

sea California
06/04/18 7:23 am

Asian parents tend to put a lot more pressure on their kids to get good grades and SAT scores. And then they like to brag to other Asian parents “my son got into an Ivy League school and went to Med school” etc. I remember asking my non Asian friends in high school what grades their parents expected them to get. It ranged from no expectations to at least a C. Meanwhile I had to bring home A’s or I would get grounded or forced to study more.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 8:30 am

Now if you get an award for coming in last in a competition everyone is happy.

AdamStephens West Virginia
06/04/18 7:02 am

I'm sure only upper class white people are the only ones that lack in the discipline area but asians may have high levels of parent involvement. I don't know.

AdamStephens West Virginia
06/04/18 7:33 am

While I do have that problem this sentence is fine.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 8:18 am

When blacks are born to a single parent mother 74% of the time it’s a problem. The kids are left to fend for themselves.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 8:20 am

Why do you think asians excel in testing followed by whites and way down trailing are black kids? Hopefully they are all capable at birth.

ovcourse California
06/04/18 5:57 am

Why did someone downvote this poll?

And the answer to the question is “yes”.

Think Lovin Life
06/04/18 6:00 am

Ov ... the truth is not kind to leftists.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 6:03 am

The truth hurts. This had to do with my other question about DiBlasio removing entrance exams for the best HS in NYC.

Think Lovin Life
06/04/18 6:06 am

Ron ... Mr dB must hate all that winning st those schools so he’s going to ruin them.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/18 6:09 am

Level the playing field I guess rather then focus on family unity. The left turns a blind eye to single parenting problems and drug problems. They just want to homogenized oil and water.

gluxford1 Arizona
06/04/18 7:54 am

Truth offends lefties. I upvoted the poll. ; )

Malekithe Hades