Show Of Hands June 3rd, 2018 3:38am

When traveling to a new place, do you generally like to act more like a tourist and see the best known features, or act more like a local and scout out lesser-known activities?

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
06/10/18 5:00 pm

The last couple of states I’ve called home were in one way or another vacation destinations so I’ve gotten pretty good at finding those gems and I’ll prolly continue doing so.

grondini Mainer in NC
06/05/18 12:34 pm

A little of both! Gotta see the "famous sights", but there's always so much more to a city/country than the top 10 attractions on TripAdvisor...

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
06/05/18 12:12 am

Though we like to see the must see, must do stuff, we don’t visit foreign lands without exploring the areas outside of the tourist zones. We like to get out and mix with the locals, experience the culture, see the land as the natives see it, etc.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
06/04/18 8:13 am

Visuals: tourist
Eating: local

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
06/03/18 6:42 pm

Forget the tourist traps. I make friends with some locals and go from there.

DeathSheep Michigan
06/03/18 12:53 pm

Both, to differing extents, depending on where I’m traveling. I’ll want to see tourist spots, but I enjoy road trips around the country too, getting lost and finding the hidden things.

albyunderwater Yesterday
06/03/18 12:22 pm

I like going to places that haven’t been widely found by tourists yet. That’s where it’s at. I was in Macedonia and Albania last year.

kash Earf
06/03/18 12:14 pm

I do both
I tour on the earlier days
and do some finding on the last few

Diknak Ohio
06/03/18 11:32 am

In Europe I always look for the hidden gems. The tourist traps are terrible. Rome, for example, is so easy to suck you into tourist trap restaurants and you can find some amazing mom and pop restaurants if you get off the main streets.

ccc1 Georgia
06/03/18 9:27 am

Depends on the country. Greece? Tourist! Ireland? Hidden gems

SlapHappy 5th Generation TX born
06/03/18 9:22 am

Thats why we love vrbo. Rent someone’s house and live as a local. Go to their grocery stores, their hole in the wall pubs and shops. Get to know the people and get their suggestions on what to see. Got a trip to Iceland coming up. Cant wait!

IrishAlzheimers oakland, ca
06/03/18 7:17 am

I️ found that YouTube is a pretty good travel guid for local gems but you can’t not go see the tourist stuff too

phalnx Ohio
06/03/18 6:07 am

I'm a straight-up tourist when I'm forced to be. I can get good local stuff at home, and I'm a very reluctant traveller.

cowboy Doors of Perception
06/03/18 5:45 am

I love being a tourist. I would have my daughter with me so it feels like the first time through her eyes. ❤️💕

LazySteelworker USA
06/03/18 5:32 am

I prefer a little of both but the main attractions are exactly that for a reason. It's not like I'm going to go to Niagara Falls and not see go look at the water lol.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
06/03/18 2:42 am

I cant take tourists.

I’ll ask the guy driving the cab where he would go for lunch.

And if you are ever in Europe ask a pack of teenagers where shady shit goes down at night, they all know for some reason...you will end up at some underground tournament where ppl are fighting to the death and shit.
☕️

techguy010
06/03/18 12:00 am

I prefer the big well known attractions but I would also not mind looking for hidden gems.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
06/02/18 10:07 pm

Gems. I enjoy exploring local customs, etc. & getting well off the beaten path while traveling. I'll also try my best to blend in with my attire & speech just to not be ID'd as a typical tourist. No red double-decker sightseeing buses for me!

midnightblue over there
06/02/18 10:07 pm

Depends on how long I’m there for. If I’m staying for 6 months I’ll forget about the tourist stuff and get to making a home for myself. If I’m there for a weekend, then I’ll do what tourists do.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/02/18 9:43 pm

I hate crowds, so wherever the crowds aren't.

PB246 California
06/02/18 9:32 pm

Classics when going there the first time. If I think the area is friendly to tourists then we usually talk about planning another trip back to hit more nontouristy parts

JoeRoberts Maryland
06/02/18 9:03 pm

Too often the locals forget to visit the tourist sites in their own city. They attract crowds usually because they are amazing. Just skip the "this city's version" of the Hard Rock Cafe etc.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
06/02/18 8:54 pm

The roads less traveled are usually the most fun & lots of serendipity’s😊❗️

Advil sc
06/02/18 8:54 pm

Find out where the locals eat together the best food.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/02/18 8:47 pm

A bit of both. I'd want to see the "must see" sights, tourist-style, especially if my time there is limited, but I'd also like to become comfortable there. Especially if I might want to move there for an extended stay someday.