Nik June 2nd, 2018 4:28pm

When my son was in college he took his 1972 VW bug to a national chain of oil change stores. While checking the car in the “tech” insisted that it was time to flush the radiator. What’s the silliest thing someone has tried to sell you?

commonman1 Peace
06/03/18 4:54 pm

I have a Camero. When to a dealership because of the free oil change. They rotated my tires. Problem is the back tires on a Camero are larger than the one on the front. I had to wait after I told them to rotate them back. You would think a dealership would know this. Never went back.

missmorganmarie ...
06/03/18 5:14 pm

omg. i wonder how many people they did that to who didn't know that

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/02/18 3:46 pm

Down the same vein....I had my Tacoma at a quick lube shop getting an oil change. This place used oil changes as a loss leader to upsell you other services. I maintain my cars impeccably....so they were grasping.....told me I should change my differential fluid.....which I had just swapped out 1,000 miles ago myself. No takers...but I’m sure most people fall for it.

Nik
06/02/18 3:55 pm

Yep, I like the “you need new windshield wipers, and we have them for only $50.00 each” ploy.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/02/18 4:09 pm

Another good one. I get mine at Costco for $4. To be fair though...I worked at sears auto center for a while right out of the Navy.....it was pretty horrifying what some people drive around in. Those people need the jiffy lubes of the world...but rarely go.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
06/02/18 1:15 pm

Rather similar. I was told my 2003 Saturn Ion needed a power steering flush. That car has electric power steering and thus no power steering fluid.

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/02/18 12:35 pm

When I was in college, I took my 1991 Toyota celica to the dealer because I’d received a factory recall notice for the AC. The fella came out 30 minutes later and told me that I needed a new ignition system and key. They tried to start the car to test it and my key snapped in the ignition. “How could you have been so careless” was what I got next. He wanted to charge $250 dollars for busting my key. I took the bus back to my apartment and returned to the dealer with my cousin. I’m a pretty tiny little lady, but my cousin Matt is 6’5” and looks like a surly pirate. He had some words with the manager and somehow my AC and my ignition were suddenly fixed, free of charge. New ignition and key indeed!!

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
06/02/18 11:54 am

A scam energy service that was going door to door trying to convince people that ESCO was not a general acronym but rather a specific product that only they had the rights to, and that energy consumers were required to pay this 'company' for the right to use electricity in NYC.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
06/02/18 11:47 am

I work 2 years in an auto part store. Every month or so someone would come it looking for blinker fluid. I’d tell them it’s a gel now and that we just replace the whole blinker fluid compartment. I’d sell them a flasher.

Whatever.

Muffler bearings were harder to go along with the joke for under $5. I finally settled on trying to sell a compass from our impulse buy area. I would try to convince people that they helped the catalytic converter keep its “bearings.”

Nik
06/02/18 2:45 pm

You are too funny✌️

Radon Parts Unknown
06/02/18 10:36 am

I fix my own cars. You save $100 an hour doing it that way. You also learn valuable skills.

doober72 Vidalia, Ga.
06/02/18 11:00 am

Radon, %100 correct.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
06/02/18 10:16 am

I went to an oil change chain a week after my truck got out of the shop for a transmission replacement, and the oil tech comes out and tells me that my transmission is due for a flush. We had words and I got my oil change for free. I've never been back to that shop again

doober72 Vidalia, Ga.
06/02/18 10:16 am

My daughter is away at college, took her 07 Taurus to Goodyear for oil change. Mechanic calls me saying brakes are gouging rotors, battery is leaking corroding battery tray, two bad motor mounts. I knew this was a load of crap, she's here every month and I check over it thoroughly. Told them to change oil only. She came home next day. Brakes were fine, battery not leaking, battery tray is plastic and no broken mounts. On top of all this they put 5 quarts in a 6 quart car! I called back and raised enough hell to get refunded and 4 free oil changes.👍

snagglepuss Story Time
06/02/18 10:07 am

When I was in college I drove a 1981 Datsun 200SX. It was making strange noises in the passenger front tire. I took it to a mechanic close to campus and they wanted to do all this stuff to my car, told me it wasn’t safe to drive. I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and for .78 cents he replaced a bolt in the wheel well area, not sure exactly, but it fixed the problem and I drove it for three more years before junking it.

...

rons WOKE is sick
06/02/18 10:02 am

I had my septic pumped. They tried to sell me a replacement tank for 8 grand. It’s shaped like a can. The sides looked in good shape and when filled the pressure is stable. I couldn’t figure out how it could collapse!
No thanks.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
06/02/18 9:33 am

A dentist told me that all of my fillings needed to be replaced. I asked my children’s dentist, who told me it is highly unlikely to need to replace multiple fillings at once.

Nik
06/02/18 9:30 am

If you don’t know, the ‘72 VW bug was air cooled, so it didn’t have a radiator.

My son told the guy “if you can find a radiator on the car, flush it!”
The guy looked😂😂

rons WOKE is sick
06/02/18 9:52 am

Now you know why the guy worked at a fast lube joint.

Nik
06/02/18 9:55 am

There is no intelligences test needed to work there

rons WOKE is sick
06/02/18 12:09 pm

I had a ‘64 Beetle with a 40 ph air cooled.
Nobody ever asked about the cooling system.

Nik
06/02/18 9:31 am

And the story is?...

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
06/02/18 9:41 am

I have two, what would be deemed modern muscle cars, not by the 60's standards, however, my GTP requires "H" rated tires, every time I take it to a shop or have the Supercharger serviced, always with the need for a "Good" speed rated tire or our "recommendations"..... Speed rated tires are not cheap, and I am not cheap when it comes to my puppy.....my SS Monte Carlo does not require speed rated tires.....just the usual, "try to sell me everything I do not need" speel.....

Nik