goalie31 June 2nd, 2018 11:44am

Which of these churches do you view to be more strict and traditional?

political Georgia
06/02/18 5:53 pm

Overall, Protestants, though there are plenty of bad examples out there

My reasons will be for a multitude of reasons that I’m sure this poll series will address. Speaking of which, I need to respond to your reply to me on your other poll soon. Perhaps, after the movie

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/02/18 5:59 pm

I'm sorry I don't understand... Did you just say Protestants are stricter and more traditional than Catholics and Orthodox?

political Georgia
06/02/18 7:49 pm

Yes - but partly because I skimmed the question - I standby that statement though

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/02/18 8:07 pm

That is just blantantly false. Orthodoxy and Catholicism have tradition going back 1800+ years.

Protestant theology isn't even constant. Some Protestants are completely insane in their theology and some are borderline Catholic.

You can't say a group that is protesting another groups tradition has more tradition than the tradition they are Protesting lol

political Georgia
06/02/18 8:23 pm

I can when certain groups of Protestants follow the teachings of the original Church. Teachings that the Catholic Church as grown far far away from.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 2:14 pm

Examples? Because the Orthodox and Catholic churches ARE the early Church.

political Georgia
06/03/18 2:17 pm

I would say that there are numerous examples of the Catholic Church contradicting the teachings of the early Church. Those examples are already known disagreements that we have.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 2:19 pm

So the disagreements we have had are things Catholics and Orthodox agree on. You really believe the 2 original churches are wrong and that your specific small sect of protestantism is the correct way the Early Church was run?

political Georgia
06/03/18 2:22 pm

I believe the true Church is very small today, but it upholds the original teachings of the Bible. Of course, all of God’s elect spread out across denominations.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 2:26 pm

How is it Catholics and Orthodox schismed 500 years prior to Protestants and Catholics yet they still share a vast majority of theology, have Apostolic succession (something no Protestant church has by the way), and follow early Church councils that Protestants almost exclusively ignore

political Georgia
06/03/18 2:31 pm

My reply would need to explain how Catholicism doesn’t follow Biblical teachings for this conversation to progress. As I said, I think we will see how I do not believe that the Catholic Church today is the true Church as you continue in this poll series because of many modern day misinterpretations.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 2:35 pm

Every single Catholic teaching can be directly set to scripture or sacred tradition (which is scripturally backed up). Seriously, what Catholic teaching... Just 1 that isn't scripture based?

If you go to an Eastern Liturgy you would know the entire service is scripture the whole way though

political Georgia
06/03/18 2:44 pm

Sure - the Bible teaches that we are dead in trespasses and sin. “Slave to sin” is used to describe our original nature. Catholicism teaches that someone who isn’t born again can conduct works pleasing to God.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 2:57 pm

I want you to look up Romans 2:10-16

It was today's epistle in Eastern Catholicism

Sinners who do not have the law will perish without reference to it; Sinners Bound by the law will be judged in accordance with it. For it is not those who hear the law who are just in the sight of God; it is those who keep it who will be declared just. When Gentiles who do not have the law to keep it as by instinct, these men although without the law serve as the law for themselves. They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts. Their conscience Bears witness together with that law, and their thoughts will accuse or defend them on the day when, in accordance with the gospel I preach, God will pass judgement on the secrets of men through Jesus Christ.

God can be pleased by the works of Gentiles who don't know Him.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 2:58 pm

I almost feel like God was talking to me there since we are having this exact discussion on the day I read this at Liturgy

political Georgia
06/03/18 3:24 pm

I’m unsure how you can assume that Paul is referring to Gentiles who were not born of the Spirit. This passage is usually used to explain that God blesses his mercy to both Jews and Gentiles though this should not be taken in a universal mindset.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 4:14 pm

He said that the Gentiles who don't know the law can still practice the law by instinct because there is grace and good in us as humans. This is why total deprevity is flat wrong. Man was made in God's image and while we have failings there is still natural good in us. Charity, caring for the poor, visiting the imprisoned... The beatitudes... They are practiced by non-Christians and I'm certain God sees that good

political Georgia
06/03/18 4:40 pm

The beatitudes cannot be practiced by non believers because they don’t have the intentions of glorifying God. The law doesn’t have the power to save anyway, so it would difficult to conclude that the lack of knowledge of the law means that Gentiles are not eternally saved in this context.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/03/18 4:46 pm

Where does scripture say that. Those who never were never introduced to Christianity can't show glory to God? That is ridiculous. All of mankind is connected to God. Whether we know Him or not He knows us and we can glorify Him without knowing it.

The Beatitudes are the ultimate form of Prayer. And they are a way of life that even a non-Christian can do to glorify God.

political Georgia
06/03/18 6:29 pm

I don’t think it’s ridiculous at all. As I mentioned, Ephesians 2:1 reminds us all that we were once dead in trespasses and sin. How could a spiritually dead person know righteousness to please God? The same sentiment is echoed in Romans 6:20 and even Romans 3, but I’ll let the topic text be Ephesians 2:1 for now.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
06/02/18 11:50 am

Well, I'm Catholic and I find that many other Catholics are overly peppy (that's not the right word, but I can't think of it right now), not to mention ascediastic. Churches around me seem to try and cater to this. I think there should be a lot of joy, but it should also be solemn and calm.

Never been to an Orthodox service so I can't speak about them.

NDAmerican Florida
06/02/18 10:21 am

Orthodox, most Catholics I know are not very devout.

rons WOKE is sick
06/02/18 6:47 am

Most Catholics I knew were in name only. Similar to reformed Jews.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/02/18 7:57 am

To some extend. There are many true Catholics still

rons WOKE is sick
06/02/18 9:33 am

My cousins go every Sunday to mass.