iceberg124 May 31st, 2018 6:00pm

Should the cancellation of Roseanne over an allegedly racist tweet be something which is welcomed and praised or is it a step in the wrong direction?

MrsCrayonWax
06/01/18 5:21 am

I think everyone needs to take a step back.

cynicalkat
05/31/18 7:06 pm

Nothing alleged about it. It was racist.

gluxford1 Arizona
05/31/18 5:30 pm

Canceling the show went a bit too far.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
05/31/18 1:39 pm

Her tweet was definitely worthy of some punishment, but canceling the show it a bit harsh. I mean she wasn’t the only one fired, all those other people didn’t do anything wrong besides go to work for a crazy person.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/31/18 1:09 pm

What she said was awful. It would be a step in the right direction if many other shows were canceled because of appalling behavior.

paranoidandroid peace love science
05/31/18 11:33 am

Its the company’s decision and it wasn’t “alleged.”

omniku dot com
05/31/18 11:41 am

Exactly. There’s no allegedly about it. I have no problem with someone being fired for a racist statement. I embrace that because it’s wrong to embrace racism.

iceberg124
05/31/18 12:30 pm

I read the tweet and there was no racial slur, so yes it’s alleged

johonmilla Monroe, nc
05/31/18 1:18 pm

How is “ape” not a racist slur?

iceberg124
05/31/18 1:30 pm

Planet of the apes is a movie, not a racist slur

geoag02 Dallas, TX
05/31/18 1:42 pm

From the little that I have followed this story, I am questioning whether or not Rosanne knew it was a racist slur. If she didn’t know then she obviously didn’t mean it that way even if most other people who use that sequence of words do mean it in a racist way.

iceberg124
05/31/18 1:46 pm

I could see it interpreted as racist if the person was black. Valarie Jarrett appears to be biracial, I wouldn’t think shes black if I saw her on the street, she has the same skin color and haircut as the ape from the original movie. My guess is most people heard ‘racist slur’ on the headlines, to come to that conclusion you’d have to exhibit several biases while reading an innocuous tweet.

paranoidandroid peace love science
05/31/18 2:19 pm

Is that how you justify ape comments about Obama? Bc he’s biracial? Whatever fits your agenda I guess. 🙄

omniku dot com
05/31/18 2:31 pm

“I am questioning whether or not Rosanne knew it was a racist slur.”

Oh that delicate little flower Roseanne. Surely she would never do or say anything controversial!

Oh wait, here she is now posing for a photo shoot dressed as Adolph Hitler with a sheet of burnt Jew cookies... us-east-1.tchyn.io/snopes-production/uploads/2018/03/heeb.jpg

Yeah, she seems totally harmless and not at all bigoted or culturally insensitive. 🙄

iceberg124
05/31/18 2:36 pm

What ape comment? Planet of the apes is a popular movie franchise, not a racial slur. My point is that you’d have to make a whole bunch of assumptions and look for racism to conclude that its a secret racist message since the person doesn’t even look black and I’m not sure if she is.

paranoidandroid peace love science
05/31/18 4:05 pm

Here’s one I found quickly. I’m sure there are others...
www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/marilyn-davenport-chimp-email-ignites-controversy-republicans/story%3fid=13400480

Jarrett was born in Iran (and I remember comments about that on SoH alone) and her Wikipedia page confirms her race.

Frankly, Roseanne has no excuse and should’ve learned not to call an African American an ape after the first time she did it...
www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/roseanne-barr-racist-valerie-jarrett-tweet-also-compared-susan-rice-to-ape/

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/31/18 11:27 am

If I were ABC I would have fired her too. They have to think about their shareholders

That being said, Jamelle hill, Kathy griffin, rosanne, fired for speech...it’s kind of disturbing. That’s the world we live in. Because if they don’t get fired people get pitchforks and whine like children until they get their way

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/31/18 11:29 am

I think the world would be a better place if whenever someone said something mean people said “oh that’s mean” and then went on with their lives. But we live in the opposite world from that. Everyone must be punished and their careers ruined so we can pat ourselves on the back and say “see? My outrage did that! I won’t stand for speech I don’t like!”

iceberg124
05/31/18 11:08 am

I believe that they have the right to fire her but it’s a bad precedent and society is becoming too sensitive. I wonder how many people who vote in favor will feel the same when Murdoch is Disney’s next CEO

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
05/31/18 11:00 am

It was the correct action. Such abominable bullshit should not be tolerated.

Kamden popular revolt
05/31/18 11:11 am

Jesus dude she didn't murder someone

CMChristian gone
05/31/18 11:21 am

Prince gets edgy over everything Kamden. Once I caught him screaming bare naked cursing out a loaf of bread lol.

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
05/31/18 11:28 am

I'd be calling for her execution if she murdered someone, Kamden. Her firing and ostracism from public life is worthy enough for this, however. Racism should not be tolerated in civilized society.

Kamden popular revolt
05/31/18 11:28 am

Yeah I'm well aware, I'd like to help him get through it this time though, calmly and reasonably.

Kamden popular revolt
05/31/18 11:30 am

I guess I just don't think she was actually being racist, and also don't really see how if she was it would be relevant to her capability as an actress/comedian.

Are you making an example of her? What's the end goal in this?

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
05/31/18 11:36 am

Yes, she was being racist. Yes, he deserves punishment. Yes, it does make a convenient example. It says that this shit should no longer be acceptable, and to shut the fuck up when you think being racist is a good idea.

Kamden popular revolt
05/31/18 11:40 am

What exactly did her words do to extend racism? I mean it was a nearly incoherent joke that didn't have any physical effect on anyone. No one was prevented from voting because Roseanne tweeted nonsense.

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
05/31/18 11:42 am

It did not extend racism, it just was racist. No racism in any form should be condoned.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/31/18 11:48 am

Prince do you think you can end racism by firing people who are racist?

Racism at its heart is not tweets. It’s what you believe. You’re just making them more racist

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/31/18 11:49 am

If it’s just a punishment fetish ok, that makes sense. But you’re not ending racism.

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/31/18 9:10 pm

Faggots shouldn’t be allowed in civil society*

That’s what your baseless conjecture is equivalent too prince.

Racists>homos.