Praetorianus May 31st, 2018 1:33am

Inspired by main poll: when given the choice to live in the past or future, like 1918 vs 2118, you think those who opt for past more likely do so because they think the past was better than now, or the future will be worse?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/31/18 10:59 am

For me, it’s a morality thing. I’ve seen morals slide so much in my lifetime I don’t think I could stand living that far in the future. In fact, I think that’s one reason we don’t live longer than we do. Can you imagine the changes in morals that people who were born 100 years ago have gone through? Back then, it was immoral for a woman to show much above her ANKLES! Lol

...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/31/18 11:00 am

💠 praetorianus asked:
05/31/2018

...

rons WOKE is sick
05/31/18 5:18 am

I’ll got with dental technology for the win.

rons WOKE is sick
05/31/18 6:26 pm

People had no teeth and died young in those days. Not my choice. Tickle RT for me.

Liberty 4,032,064
05/31/18 3:33 am

Probably a little of both. I do it because the past is known, which would put me at a great advantage.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/30/18 11:35 pm

The future is unknown, so it seems riskier.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
05/30/18 8:14 pm

Neither. I believe I couldn't function in the future.

My grandfather was relatively young when he died in 1979. If he was dropped into today's world he couldn't function. He couldn't use a computer, let alone the internet. He would have trouble with modern cars, but probably couldn't get anywhere anyway because where is he going to buy a map? He knew nothing of gps...

The only practical place to go is the past.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/30/18 8:47 pm

There's a thing called learning/adapting.
There would be an initial "future shock", but there also could be a "past shock". Do you know how to start and drive a Ford model T? How to dress properly in 1918? How to talk properly without sounding weird? In both cases you'd have to learn.
Sorry but I think your argument is invalid or at least goes both ways.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/30/18 9:59 pm

PS: people in the past might just find you weird but those in the future might have quicker ways to bring you up to date.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/30/18 11:37 pm

I think I’d feel lost in the future too.

gow488 Korea
05/30/18 7:44 pm

I think it’s because people tend to romanticize the past and only remember the positives. They forget about the lack of antibiotics, the Great Depression, the tens of millions that perished in the two world wars, and the many negatives that are now a thing of the past.

smadison Wisconsin
05/30/18 9:19 pm

Not to mention that if you’re a woman you can kiss most of your freedoms, such as a career and your voice in this world, goodbye

DanielWebb
05/30/18 6:52 pm

I would really like to experience time from a century ago or earlier.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/30/18 6:36 pm

OK, people are nostalgic and the past gets romanticized but I think most are pessimistic about the future, fearing a usually manmade apocalypse resulting in a dystopian world where the living envy the dead.