jlong105 May 30th, 2018 3:55pm

Mental institutions go down school shootings go up.

ctskapski NB MD
05/30/18 9:32 am

Disagree. Mental institutions have been decreasing in number because treatments are improving. More people who need treatment are getting treatment, rather than just stored and shocked.

mitchman399 Oregon
05/30/18 9:35 am

I agree about it improving from the days of shock therapy, but it still pretty terrible. I used to work in a school run by one of the larger mental health providers in my state. The level of incompetence and some of the methods used were pretty alarming.

ctskapski NB MD
05/30/18 9:36 am

There is a long way to go, but bringing back sanitoriums would be a backwards move, easily.

mitchman399 Oregon
05/30/18 9:50 am

They haven't really completely gone away. The main campus of the school I worked at was residential treatment, which means the kids live there. Sometimes for years and years. A problem arises when they turn 18 and are no longer allowed in the school anymore. Sometimes they don't have anywhere to go. I don't think we need to have the sketchy mental hospitals of old, but there should be more resources to help people who cannot function in society because of mental illness.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
05/30/18 9:03 am

The number of mental institutions has been greatly reduced since the advent of new drug therapy and outpatient facilities. As funding for mental health goes down, many problems go up.

jlong105 Indiana
05/30/18 8:59 am

Government has been cutting down on mental health services since JFK.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/30/18 9:01 am

And that's a problem.

(I'm not trying to make a partisan critique of Trump or whomever. I'm making a generalized statement against all of this neoliberalism in the state.)

jlong105 Indiana
05/30/18 9:10 am

I agree completely. Some people are better off being cared for in asylums. I do support heavy Involvement of the government to make sure the facilities are kept decent.