jlong105 May 30th, 2018 3:36pm

Video games become more graphic and violent. School shootings increase.

orgblu10 Shamerica
05/30/18 1:38 pm

I don't know if there's a correlation or not, but if, as a general principle, "desensitization" is unimportant, why are "awareness" programs in existence for seemingly every single evil in society? Many people must believe raising sensitivity to negative influences and actions (e.g., offensive speech) is valuable, if not absolutely necessary.

ctskapski NB MD
05/30/18 9:19 am

Highly doubtful. If anything they create an outlet to channel aggression which otherwise could accumulate.

commonsense Never over
05/30/18 9:08 am

Nah. Violent games have been around for 35-40 years.

mitchman399 Oregon
05/30/18 8:52 am

If a someone is that influenced by a video game they have a lot more wrong with them then playing violent video games. I think the biggest cause of this stuff is the poor state of mental healthcare in the country.

jlong105 Indiana
05/30/18 8:54 am

I agree with that. It’s coming in a poll actually.

NemoDude Dead, at this point
05/30/18 8:44 am

I’ve been into shooters since Halo and I have never had a serious impulse to commit a shooting. As one of my favorite game critics Yahtzee Croshaw said, the attempt to blame video games is from a generation angry at a changing world.

jlong105 Indiana
05/30/18 8:48 am

As they say local weather (you) is not climate (all kids).
I am not foolish enough to blame one thing in this problem. That is the issue I have with everyone jumping on the gun control debate over it.

Disregarding it because most people aren’t affected seems dangerous to me.

NemoDude Dead, at this point
05/30/18 8:54 am

Let’s look at the climate then. Out of the top five deadliest school shootings in America, only one has a link to a video game. Even then, the game wasn’t the cause.

jlong105 Indiana
05/30/18 8:58 am

I agree. Stephen King’s book Rage has been more correlated with school shootings than video games.

kscott516 Fact checker
05/30/18 8:40 am

Naturally there’s a correlation. Kids are also on more medications combined with unlimited access to the internet.

jlong105 Indiana
05/30/18 8:43 am

Asking more about causation with these polls. Do these games contribute to kids willing to do these heinous acts.

kscott516 Fact checker
05/30/18 9:36 am

Yes, I said naturally there’s a correlation. Violent video games can desensitize young minds to violence.