zimmy May 30th, 2018 11:01am

The discourse in this country has gone way down hill the last five years!

lcamino Florida
05/30/18 6:43 pm

I agree, but it’s a continuation.

USGovtNPol United States
05/30/18 7:30 am

Longer. The media and internet has been driving civil engagement away in favor of name calling, complaining and one-liners.

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/30/18 7:17 am

What an understatement. But I think it’s longer than 5 years. I think it goes back to just prior to Obama taking office when Mitch McConnell told the Republicans in the Senate to vote NO on any legislation put before them to decide if it came from the Democrats. That is not acceptable - all of them are elected to serve their country and when the edict came down to refuse any and all overtures of doing the People’s business just because a half-black man was sitting in the Oval, the staunch Conservatives started with the nastiness. And now EVERYONE is nasty. Thanks Mitch - you stymied your country well ... and yet he still gets re-elected, even tho “everyone” likes to say “throw the bums out!”.
I am continually amazed at how hard some people work at being counterproductive.

MrsCrayonWax
05/30/18 6:39 am

I heard a great quote about 20 minutes ago. Partisanship has ruined the fabric of our culture.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
05/30/18 6:20 am

Yes in all my 74yrs, I’ve never seen it this bad, we’ve gone from a United States of “out of many one” e pluribus unum, to evil packs of partizen fanatics, that dishonor this Nation & it’s founding principles. We can’t even all join in the pledge of allegiance or all stand for the National Anthem, I’m afraid we are heading for another “un” Civil War😥

smartfart Florida
05/30/18 4:53 am

I find it’s been much longer. CNN started with Crossfire where people just talk past each other. The show didn’t start that way, but it turned into that & it really was just one show at the time. It also had competent debaters on both sides for the most part.
Then Fox News came along in the 90s, it took them just a couple years to perfect their format of Crossfire on steroids rigged for one side to “win” with the “news” branch supporting the talking heads. This got ratings with confirmation bias to the less critical thinking of the group.
The internet sent this into hyper steroids because of the anonymity & just in the past few years ACTUAL fake news (not just news you disagree with) has taken it all to super hyper steroid level.

zimmy Florida
05/30/18 5:01 am

You hit it right on!

MrsCrayonWax
05/30/18 6:40 am

Remember Morton Downey JR?

smartfart Florida
05/30/18 6:45 am

I have to say that I had to look him up. I remember him as I saw a picture, but he doesn’t really stand out to me. I must not have watched much with him on it.

MrsCrayonWax
05/30/18 7:12 am

Not sure how old you are but he was around in the late 80s. I was barely a tee. But he was entertaining.

smartfart Florida
05/30/18 7:25 am

I’m just a little short of 40, so it would have put me as 11-12. I’ve always kind of been a news/politics junkie. I would say that I watched a lot at that age, but that sort of television really never appealed to me. I’m thinking that I just remember seeing news reports about him & that is the only reason it is even a little familiar.

MrsCrayonWax
05/30/18 7:28 am

Gotcha. It was unusual and I’m not sure why we got WPIX in western NY or why my parents even let me watch that. 🤔

ozzy
05/30/18 11:48 am

Agree. Loved that smoking sob. This has been going on since Reagan beat carter

rons screw politicians
05/30/18 4:16 am

We are now called tribal. Just like the Afghan tribes. Our war lords are just as despicable as theirs.

Think Lovin Life
05/30/18 4:11 am

Zim ... it’s become FAR more divisive in the past decade. I know you don’t like to hear it, but MrO — who had a great opportunity to unite — really chose to divide us. He’s not a black man and he’s not a white man, he’s a mulatto. A mix not only of American, but African cultures. Unfortunately, MrO’s hatred for his own white heritage and the allure of pandering to a black culture that doesn’t even represent him, led him to be a divider. Form his poor performance with the Cambridge police to Trevon Martin to Ferguson, MrO consistently chose to divide. He also chose to attack his political opponent, mobilizing hyper partisans embedded in the Executive Branch to harass those who dared to disagree with him, through the Justice Department and even into the IRS.

Now, if only Democrats could overcome the fact that they made not just a bad choice, but a horrible choice for their candidate in 2016, they’d see that MrT is trying to bring us together.

zimmy Florida
05/30/18 4:19 am

Think- I don’t care about Obama’s race, he considers himself African American and that good enough for me. As for divisions I don’t understand how you can say Trump is a uniter? Every time he tweets he manages to insult some people or groups, I really don’t see how Obama was much different from past Presidents like Reagan, Carter, Bush or Clinton. Trump seems to be a different egg altogether. Which I guess is what you like, and I cannot stand.

Think Lovin Life
05/30/18 4:24 am

Zim ... MrO considering himself to be African American is precisely the point. By so doing he denies the fact that he’s as white as he is black. It denies that in fact it was his African father who abandoned him at birth and his white grandparents who raised him.

MrO’s own denial of his heritage is the metaphor for his divisive presidency.

zimmy Florida
05/30/18 5:02 am

Really doesn’t matter to me.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
05/30/18 6:28 am

Zimmy, it should matter to you, because your included in those “whites” that BO loathes, in them & himself😳❗️

commonman1 Peace
05/30/18 6:38 am

How I see it Obama had a great opportunity and blew it royally. He could have been a great leader if he didn’t constantly attacked the right. It was painful to listen to him speak because he would demonize the right which was dividing the country. True Trump is doing the same but Obama pave the way for division. In a way it’s poetic justice for the left to see what the right went through under Obama. However, if you want to talk about divineness and outright onslaught of decency you have to throw in the names Pelosi and Waters. They stoke the fire for name calling. No civility as long as they’re in charge.

Think Lovin Life
05/30/18 1:43 pm

Common ... I agree with the divisiveness of MrO, but there is absolutely no equivalent in the Trump administration to the division promoted by race baiters coddled by MrO.

The last race whore invited to the office was the phony “reverend” Sharpton, a frequent invites guest of MrO.

commonman1 Peace
05/30/18 2:03 pm

Bill Aires, Al Sharpton, Jessy Jackson, Louis Farrakhan. And the left is worries about a freakin hooker.

KellyDimples You know the thing
05/30/18 4:09 am

It's been an exponential decline, and the internet has increased the speed.

zimmy Florida
05/30/18 4:20 am

Kelly- great point, I absolutely agree!