iDrGlutenFree May 30th, 2018 2:25am

True or False: As a libertarian/conservative, I have made real attempts to have a rational conversation with an opposing view, but they always resort to name calling, making things up, and never answering any real questions.

ExistentialNed
06/01/18 11:46 am

While it does occur often, it’s not always what happens. While I see it commonly in “solid liberals”, I rarely see it among moderates. There are plenty of rational democrats, but many have taken a “my way or the high way” approach in recent years. I hope that conservatives do not retaliate with the same tactic.

MrsCrayonWax
06/01/18 5:26 am

How much crap are you getting from the right for being a libertarian conservative?

ctskapski NB MD
05/31/18 7:13 pm

Answering for myself?

No. Not always.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
05/30/18 9:40 am

You are talking with the wrong people. Don't make claims about whole groups based on your limited interactions.

sea California
05/30/18 7:50 am

They don’t all name call and make stuff up, it’s just that often they are illogical and that the reasons are not good and they are inconsistent.

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/30/18 7:36 am

Open your eyes and ears - both sides do it.

Kyle5 TN
05/29/18 11:10 pm

That happens with both sides. It’s most definitely not limited to specific viewpoints.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/29/18 9:55 pm

Come on. I have talked to both reasonable and unreasonable people on both sides and neither are hard to find. Like, at all.

PB246 California
05/29/18 9:55 pm

After the 2026 election I was talking to a friend with very different view points. I asked what parts of trump they did and did not like and what she would hope for in the next four years. She said she wanted him to die and have a new election or a do over. I said that while I’m not a Hillary fan I would never wish her to die or even get hurt or sick— she’s somebody’s mom and grandma! Who would want some kid’s grandma to die?! Same goes for trump-/ he’s got a family! She could understand why I was ok with people living when I disagreed with them

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
05/29/18 8:59 pm

I would say false solely for the inclusion of “always,” but also bc of the “as a libertarian/conservative” bit bc as a liberal I feel the same way sometimes. It’s hypocritical to call an entire side out like that esp given what you’re complaining about.

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
05/29/18 9:02 pm

And if you’re a brand new account... where have you had this experience? Just in your day on SoH?? 🤔

Zach21 California
05/29/18 8:23 pm

Always? No. False

UniversePlan Michigan
05/29/18 7:29 pm

This user is currently being ignored

lendluke iowa