swervin May 29th, 2018 10:46pm

Is it hypocritical to support the NFL’s right to force players to stand for the national anthem (or face penalties) but get mad that ABC is canceling the Roseanne show?

PyroSadist like my comments follow
05/30/18 10:44 am

As I understand it they are not really forcing the players to stand since they are not penalizing the players directly. They are instead penalizing the team.

Now if the team decides they have had enough of having to pay penalties and do not resign the players that routinely kneel when their contract is up that is their choice

DanielWebb
05/30/18 5:42 am

Yes. Both are cases of employees harming their employers, and employers taking action to protect their businesses. And I believe the employers are justified in their actions in both cases.

HoosierFan
05/30/18 5:24 am

If we’re talking about a corporation’s right to enforce the terms of employment defined in a contact, then of course it’s hypocrisy.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/30/18 2:56 am

I answered yes, because of the term "right" used in the poll question. I don't think it's inherently inconsistent, but if you base your support for one on rights, then you're being inconsistent by opposing the same rights for the other.

otto Olean, NY
05/30/18 1:17 am

Perhaps. But what is REALLY hypocritical is Disney fires Roseanne but only gave a 2-week suspension to Jemele Hill. That is the same corporation treating extremely similar violations extremely differently based on internal bias within the corporation.

Think Lovin Life
05/29/18 9:54 pm

It’s as hypocritical as applaud ABC for firing Ms Barr while throwing a tantrum because the NFL holds its employees to a set of job requirements. At least the NFL goons are in the clock, Ms Barr was off the clock.

Ms Barr is a numbskull, but she should not be held to a different standard than the felons who play football!

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
05/29/18 9:24 pm

Her tweet was in very poor taste. I think ABC was not only in their right to fire her, but also right to do so. I'm not sure it's hypocritical, but I would generally think that if you think it's wrong for the players to kneel on the field in support of a racist movement during the anthem, that you should also think it's wrong to make such a carelessly wreckless public comment and expect consequences.

commonman1 Peace
05/29/18 5:02 pm

It’s not hypocritical it’s the same. Roseanne said a racist statement and the kneelers are supporting a racist movement.

goalie31 Byzantine Catholic
05/29/18 4:56 pm

It's hypocritical.

I'm a conservative and ABC was well within their rights to end the show over the tweet. Roseanne can say what she wants but there are consequences. Same thing I say about NFL players

swervin Maryland
05/29/18 5:15 pm

I’m conservative and I agree. Do stupid things, win stupid prizes. Both companies are protecting their bottom line.

swervin Maryland
05/29/18 3:49 pm

Both are cases where the company is doing what is “best for business”. I will always support a company’s right to do whatever they want to do with their employees, as long as it’s legal.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
05/29/18 3:48 pm

One is being done on the job. You don't get to use the company resources to make political statements to their customers.

The other is a personal Twitter account that I assume was accessed with personal equipment (If she used employer equipment it would change my mind).

wearemonkeys77 Lest We Forget... Hodor
05/29/18 4:26 pm

Once again these people are the face of their product. If your employer thinks you are a liability you get fired.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
05/29/18 4:43 pm

So you believe anyone with a public position has lost their right to freedom of speech? I guess it is a consistent position but not one that makes any sense to me.

wearemonkeys77 Lest We Forget... Hodor
05/29/18 4:58 pm

No because thats not what the first amendment means.

swervin Maryland
05/29/18 5:16 pm

The 1st amendment doesn’t protect you from sticking your foot in your mouth. If you say stupid things or do stupid activities, you can and should be fired.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
05/29/18 5:32 pm

Notice I never said anything about an ammendment. Please don't put words in my mouth.

So let's say I hate baseball, should I be able to fire anyone who ever supports baseball publicly? There is a separation between your private life and your work life. If Collin K wants to rant on for hours on end on a pod cast or as a guest on a talk show, he should be permitted to. But nobody should be fired for engaging in a legal act outside of work. This stifiles free thought and public discussion. Censorship in all forms should be fought.

Think Lovin Life
05/29/18 9:57 pm

Monkey ... do you support the firing of football players who break the employer rules?

bartman71 USW
05/29/18 10:47 pm

What about the lady who was fired for flipping off Trumps caravan?

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
05/30/18 10:02 am

Bart, I strongly disagree with that position as well. If I knew where she worked I would boycott that company. She should be able to express her opinion on her time.