ExistentialNed May 29th, 2018 8:55pm

Do you believe that the argument for gun rights that is made in the Second Amendment is justified?

Cherepaxa Thirdworld and firstworld
05/30/18 7:13 am

Historian Roxanne Dunbar wrote extensively on the background of the 2nd amendment being a text to allow groups of settlers to arm themselves against Native nations. So no.

If it were the common argument about a tyrannical government I'd agree, but every jabroni that wanks themselves over the 2nd doesn't pick up arms against the US government so no one actually agrees with their own arguments.

evoecon nearest binary system
05/29/18 8:55 pm

Everyday of the week.

TheUbermensch
05/29/18 6:00 pm

The second amendment allows citizens to fight a tyrannical government

PizzaHut Coral Springs, FL
06/03/18 8:07 am

The right to bear arms includes that, the fear comes from that, but the founding fathers said and made it clear that the citizens of America always have the right to have a gun. They made the 2nd amendment general fir a reason

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
05/29/18 5:24 pm

I *believe* the 2A is arguing that people have the right to form gangs and those gangs get to have weapons. I think that IS a natural right all have...which is what is recognized in the constitutional amendments.

TheUbermensch
05/29/18 6:02 pm

No gangs are allowed that is not in the amendment. Militia is a people's army while gangs are groups who fight over territory

DJ13
05/29/18 6:28 pm

Yes a "well regulated" people's army....

TheUbermensch
05/29/18 6:30 pm

Do u disagree with the right to own guns or the militia part

DJ13
05/29/18 6:40 pm

Or? I'm not the one separating the 2.....

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
05/30/18 4:41 am

Me? I think that militias have the right of armament. I’m not talking the crap you find in the secret back room of a surplus store. 2A means, if they can afford it, then militias should be able to get tanks, anti-aircraft, rockets, and even blades longer than four inches.

I think that gangs do qualify as militia. I think 2A, properly interpreted, would allow gangs to be armed to the teeth. Then the US Government would be able to focus on laws that held them accountable for their actions, rather than their stockpiles.

I understand that Jimmy Hoffa was finally jailed on tax evasion. I understand that extreme arms would allow for some crazy stealth ops by idiots, yet would be hard to track back to punish. Police would have to get better at their job quickly.

I do NOT think 2A gives individuals the right to arms. I, myself, don’t have the right to a four inch blade - as evidenced by local laws In various jurisdictions.

What militias, other than gangs, are you aware of?
...
...

smart1
05/29/18 3:48 pm

Sure. I’m all in favor of a “well regulated militia”.

Ebola1 Florida
05/29/18 4:16 pm

Good, so you agree that the 2A refers to an individuals right to own weapons and that that right shall not be infringed.

DJ13
05/29/18 5:28 pm

Yes, as long as they belong to a "well regulated miltia"...

DJ13
05/29/18 6:27 pm

Don't really need to study to hard. It's right there in black and white....

smart1
05/29/18 9:55 pm

Your idol Scalia disagreed.

DJ13
05/30/18 1:57 am

But the ruling has never been 100%, so it's just how the court breaks down and how they "interpret" it....

DJ13
05/30/18 7:06 am

Settled law for now, but the fact that circuit judges have interpreted it different proves that with the right make up on the court it could be reversed.

PizzaHut Coral Springs, FL
06/03/18 8:08 am

Why would a regulated militia fight the state if it is the state? See, it isn't talking about a militia you're thinking about. It's talking about the people 😂

DJ13
06/03/18 8:44 am

I don't think anyone denies that a militia is made up of "people". The key is a "well regulated" militia......

Ebola1 Florida
06/03/18 9:17 am

It’s a moot point and not worth spending time on because the 2A refers to an individual right. Aside from your ignoring SCOTUS rulings I don’t see how you can misread it even in its raw form.

DJ13
06/03/18 9:21 am

I read it different than you do. Just like many judges have before....

Ebola1 Florida
05/29/18 2:25 pm

What argument?

ExistentialNed
05/29/18 3:23 pm

The argument that the people need arms in order to overthrow a corrupt government if a need for it ever arose.

Ebola1 Florida
05/29/18 3:27 pm

Yes but that’s not the only reason

ExistentialNed
05/29/18 3:29 pm

It isn’t the only reason, nor is it the most common argument. It is simply the primary justification upon which the amendment stands. There are more arguments about gun ownership to be had, but I would like to hear everyone’s opinion on this factor.