Praetorianus May 29th, 2018 5:04am

When you were little, did someone read/tell you bedtime stories?

susanr Colorado
05/29/18 3:55 pm

I don’t remember too clearly, but I know my mother read bedtime stories to me. And most likely my grandmother when I stayed at her house, and my aunt when she was visiting. I remember some of the stories vividly, and found a number of the books that were read to me when I cleared out my parents’ house after my dad’s death. Unfortunately I had to throw out a lot of them because they had gotten moldy in storage.

I loved reading bedtime stories to my daughter so much that we went on for an hour or more, many nights. And it wasn’t always at bedtime. She’s always loved reading. In high school if she had a tough reading assignment she would sometimes read it out loud to *me,* and it somehow helped her understand it better.

susanr Colorado
05/29/18 3:59 pm

A friend read me a bedtime story from the Coevolution Quarterly once, when we were both adults, about Bruce Ames. I think it was about his development of genetically engineered bacteria to test environmental chemicals for mutagenicity, to better evaluate if they might be human carcinogens. This bedtime story was one of two major influences that helped me figure out what I would study in graduate school (and I did use Ames bacteria, with a major twist for some of my pre-graduate research).

My daughter has been reading bedtime stories to her husband. I gave her a book titled Fauna of the Rockies that I bought at a library book sale. It’s old and has some issues, but it interesting. I thought she might like to read it, and then pass it on to a little boy (son of a coworker of her husband’s) whom we’ve all been nurturing, for his mom to read to him at bedtime.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
05/29/18 8:28 am

Dad would read comic books to me. Thus, comics played a big role in learning how to read... and it shows. KA POW

tokala
05/29/18 6:10 am

I have memories of being tucked in, but I have no memories of being told bedtime stories.

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/29/18 4:47 am

Yep - my Daddy!
He worked a lot of hours and sometimes it was the only time I’d see him all day.

cpaswr 864511320
05/29/18 4:41 am

Not that I remember. We read books to my son every night.

jmw7477 Indiana
05/29/18 4:36 am

My grandma would occasionally read to me out of the same bedtime story book. It had several short stories.

swervin Maryland
05/29/18 4:23 am

Yup. It lasted a good amount of time. I do the same for my son, but we usually end up reading the Little Critter books or other such small books. We used to read him actually books but the wife and I would switch off and I never got to finish the story.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/29/18 12:19 am

I don’t remember it (I don’t remember ANYTHING before I was 6 years old), but they must have, as I know all the fairy tales.

We read our kids Bible stories every night in their beds and said night prayers with them.

....

phalnx Ohio
05/28/18 11:23 pm

My parents, as I and my wife read to ours.

orgblu10 Shamerica
05/28/18 10:58 pm

My dad read them to me. I also read to my kids. Some pretty good nostalgia there.

PrinceOberyn Io Himeros
05/28/18 10:45 pm

Nope. I never let them, and preferred to read books myself.

ctskapski NB MD
05/28/18 10:29 pm

My dziadzia read me Grimm's fables.

phalnx Ohio
05/29/18 8:04 am

Did he read you the one about Peter Puffer, who picked a peck of pickled peckers? 🤣

ctskapski NB MD
05/29/18 12:06 pm

I missed that one.

NexusBlue California
05/28/18 10:23 pm

Hey ! Looking at the results I was cheated!!!

lcamino Florida
05/28/18 10:11 pm

I remember my father putting us to bed, and saying prayers. At Christmas time we would sing Christmas carols. My mother did read to me, but I can’t remember it being at bedtime.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/28/18 10:07 pm

I'm trying to find out if this is a thing of the past or still popular.

Yes, Mom told bedtime stories (usually from Grimm's fairy tales) to me, though my memory of the late 1960s is somewhat dim.

snagglepuss Story Time
05/28/18 10:33 pm

My grandson and daughters love/loved to be read to.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
05/29/18 8:28 am

If it’s a thing of the past, we are all screwed. Reading to your kids is so important. My pediatrician says raising kids is easy... “feed them and they grow, read to them and they get smart”.