MrsCrayonWax May 28th, 2018 9:21pm

Do you know who Savita Halappanavar is?

ladyniner81 I hate people
05/30/18 7:25 am

We do have death panels in this country. They're called insurance companies

mistah Happy Happy Joy Joy
05/28/18 6:00 pm

Couldn't recall the name, but I knew of her sad story

MrsCrayonWax
05/28/18 4:52 pm

Savita Halappanavar was a 31-year-old Indian dentist who died on 28 October 2012 at University Hospital Galway in Ireland due to the complications of a septic miscarriage at 17 weeks' gestation. The miscarriage took seven days to unfold, and early in the process, when it was clear that the miscarriage was inevitable, Halappanavar requested an abortion. At that time the medical team had not diagnosed her with a blood infection, and her request was denied because the medical team did not judge that her life was in danger. The medical team eventually did diagnose the sepsis and began trying to treat it, and when they determined that Halappanavar's life was in danger they had planned to administer misoprostol to induce delivery, but the miscarriage completed before they were able to. The sepsis continued developing and she died of cardiac arrest caused by the sepsis. Her death caused controversy at the time, nationally and internationally, leading to protests and marches.

MrsCrayonWax
05/28/18 4:55 pm

Savita Halappanavar wasn’t using abortion of convenience. She was married. She was gainfully employed. She wasn’t any of the horrific things that people describe women who seek abortions as. Galway Hospital determined the life of a dying fetus was more important to sanctify that the life of Mrs. Halappanavar.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
05/28/18 5:18 pm

Everyone should know this story.

GrandmaALiCE Still gardening
05/28/18 6:27 pm

MCW, you might want to make a followup poll, where you post the link in the poll and encourage people to look at comments.

I think I get your strategy with this poll. First, you asked if anybody had heard of her, to stir up curiosity. Then, you posted the info, a little bit later. In my opinion, however, a lot of people who voted early won’t come back to the poll.

That’s just my opinion, of course, but I wanted to share it.

MrsCrayonWax
05/28/18 6:33 pm

Good points. I was traveling home and completely without sleep. I can see how it didn’t make sense.

MrsCrayonWax
05/28/18 6:33 pm

MrsCrayonWax
05/28/18 4:51 pm

Indeed. I’m going to post a link and explanation for everyone.

phalnx Ohio
05/28/18 3:34 pm

Sure, who doesn't? He's the Buddhist Santa Claus, and once every year he brings Nirvana and Freedom From Want to millions of good little boys and girls.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/28/18 3:11 pm

I heard her name but could not have told you in relation to what, except an unusual death. Having looked it up, now I know where it came from, news on the Irish vote.