Donaldo May 28th, 2018 2:59pm

Finally bought recording software and started recording music on my computer. Have a few little unfinished projects, but I’m having trouble with writing songs/ lyrics. I know that no matter what, writing is challenging, but do you have any advice?

1PatrioticBitch
06/01/18 9:23 am

Life experiences, love, sadness, depression etc. Thoughts on the world, hopes for the future are all great subjects to write on!

CMChristian gone
05/29/18 7:38 am

I've tried writing songs with my musical buds. Write down whatever comes to mind. Turn it into verses and a chorus. Simple.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
05/28/18 7:43 pm

Use a rhyme thing online, if you know the end of a sentence you know what you can play with

Pounder750
05/28/18 5:54 pm

Keep a pad with you at all times and by your bed. Also record any melodies that you find yourself humming or that pop into your head. I do it on my phone.

ctskapski NB MD
05/28/18 5:08 pm

I could only give advice about writing scores. That's about it.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
05/28/18 2:41 pm

Write naked.

It doesn’t help, but then you’re naked which is super awesome.

Oh, and do NOT write what you know. That’s crap. Write about what you’re learning about. Srlsy 4rlz.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/28/18 1:43 pm

Write about things you feel strongly about.

Also if a phrase ever pops into your head, write it down. You might want to use it later.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
05/28/18 1:02 pm

Write every day. Set a word count target each day, or some other metric/goal, and hold yourself to it. The writing doesn't have to be an attempt at lyrics, or intentionally poetic; it's meant to be like a painter sketching every day to keep the juices flowing and the wheels turning. It's fine if most of it is terrible, even. Just let words flow out of you, and then you may find yourself writing bits you like, or can borrow/adapt/edit.

orgblu10 Shamerica
05/28/18 8:50 am

You've got to have some internal motivation or inspiration. You can't force it. When you do, just start writing, even if it's just stream of consciousness at first. Eventually you'll be able to shape it into something coherent.

CoffeeNow CandybarThiefLivesMatter
05/28/18 8:27 am

Take a walk. No phone or music, just walk around. Clears the head

Donaldo the trick never treats
05/28/18 8:34 am

I should. It’s something I rarely think about doing, but I should. Lol I’m 5 minutes away from Lake Michigan but I never think to walk along the beach.

CoffeeNow CandybarThiefLivesMatter
05/28/18 8:57 am

Also, have low standards for writing, high for editing. Just get it on paper...you can always make it better later.

CoffeeNow CandybarThiefLivesMatter
05/28/18 8:58 am

Can’t edit a blank page

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
05/28/18 8:07 am

Take a break and get some inspiration

Donaldo the trick never treats
05/28/18 8:24 am

Good advice. I do find myself walking away when I can’t seem to find something that works. I try not to force things and burn myself out. But then I’ll feel lazy for stepping away lol but I think you’re right because I will think of something and jump back to the studio.