youngliberty May 28th, 2018 6:30am

Which is the better way of determining equality? Equality of...

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/28/18 8:59 am

Opportunity - AND of preparation to take advantage of it, whether that is education, background experience, mentoring, or something else, which are all part of opportunity in the end anyway.

HtheC South Florida
05/28/18 12:53 am

Equal results=socialism equal opportunity =capitalism. I prefer the opportunity where the results will be based on my actions rather than having equal results regardless of my effort.

mudkip17 United States of Texas
05/28/18 1:43 am

I would disagree. Do you honestly believe that we all had the same opertunity that Trump had growing up?
Did you have the opertunity to go to the finest private schools? Be given loans of millions of dollars to start your own business?

This isn't to attack Trump, simply use him as a well known example

HtheC South Florida
05/28/18 6:52 am

I believe you’re confused here, I don’t expect to have his opportunity because his father had the lower opportunity and build a framework for his family. I expect to have equal opportunity with others in my current means. Do you honestly expect to have the same opportunity as the children of Bill Gates? However being in this country has given me the opportunity to build a framework for my children as Trumps father did. I have done just that so when my kids grow up they build from there. Equality would mean they start from 0 it also means whatever I’ve built is taken from me to level the field for others.

dlinz001
05/28/18 11:28 am

Just because we don’t have the same opportunities as Bill Gates children, we do have the opportunity to become a Bill Gates. While the chances are significantly low you still have the opportunity to forge your own way. Also look at the Starbucks CEO story

mudkip17 United States of Texas
05/28/18 11:35 am

We all have the opportunity to finish a race, but we aren't all given the same opportunity. If you start at the beggining and someone else starts at the end, that isn't the same opportunity..

And yes I know there are examples of some starting at the beggining but we can agree those cases are far and few between

dlinz001
05/28/18 11:40 am

True, they are few and far between, and yes people start at different places, but I still would say we live in the land of opportunity, there are various ways to educate yourself and raise capital if you come up with a good idea. Look at other counties where you are stuck on an island in the Philippines or remote part of Africa there may not be an opportunity, and you can argue it’s never fair as some are smarter than others