WeightlessWings May 28th, 2018 4:56am

Would you rather be caught out in the middle of an average strength hurricane or blizzard?

Texas1 location
05/28/18 9:45 am

I’ve done hurricane, cat two, on purpose. A blizzard I would NEVER intentionally expose myself to.

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/28/18 6:39 am

I sold my 4x4 Jeep when I moved to FL. It had served me well in the snow ... which I hope to never see again.
I do miss the Jeep tho since they don’t make them as well any more.
I’ll take the hurricane - I hate shoveling and I hated waiting for the plow to go down my dirt road.

Texas1 location
05/28/18 9:47 am

Jeeps are cool for Florida, unless you had one those salt buckets, you shoulda kept it.

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/28/18 11:25 am

Well - since Upstate NY uses a lot of salt on the roads around Lake Ontario, it had been subjected to salt - just a different kind, but it had no rust.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:21 am

I think I’d be better equipped for the hurricane. It would be miserable, but as long as you don’t get hit by anything, you should be ok.

In a blizzard, you can freeze if you aren’t careful.

HtheC South Florida
05/28/18 1:08 am

I’ll take the hurricane. Living in Florida it’s part of growing up here. A blizzard you have to consider the chill factor and freezing temperatures.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
05/28/18 12:45 am

Blizzard. Always carry survival gear in my truck. And, the truck is a 4x4 with lots of ground clearance for getting through the snow.

paranoidandroid beantown scientist lady
05/27/18 11:29 pm

I’m an odd one bc I like blizzards! The anticipation, getting snowed in, the beauty of the falling snow and how quiet it gets (when the wind isn’t going crazy). The only crappy parts are the shoveling and the inevitable pre-storm grocery trip. Some aspects of the shoveling aren’t bad... absolutely nothing about the grocery trip is enjoyable.

EarlyBird Portland
05/27/18 10:06 pm

This is really tough. I voted “blizzard” because I haven’t experienced a hurricane before.

WeightlessWings District of Columbia
05/27/18 10:08 pm

I see, I've always enjoyed stormy weather myself, and average hurricanes aren't really THAT worrisome. I can still freeze to death in snow.

EarlyBird Portland
05/27/18 10:10 pm

Tornados seem the scariest of all. They happen so suddenly. I’ve had nightmares about tornados.

WeightlessWings District of Columbia
05/27/18 10:33 pm

I can see that, but they're fairly easily avoidable, if you're looking up that is.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:25 am

The problem with hurricanes is that they are all different. One will get you with wind while another will get you with flooding.

In N.C., hurricane Floyd did all of its damage after the rain was gone. The eastern half of N.C. saw flood waters rise for two weeks after the hurricane left.

Katrina as well. The initial surge was bad for New Orleans, but the rest of the region was destroyed by the aftereffects.

Texas1 location
05/28/18 9:51 am

I remember people being on Burbon Street the night of Katrina, but it all went bad when the levee failed and then the pumps failed, all downhill from there.