ronderman May 28th, 2018 2:45am

Question for veterans: Do you still have your military uniforms? What do you want done with them when you die?

Torfin Never Behind
05/28/18 12:30 pm

Yes I do. I still use my BDUs on occasion. I would like to be buried in my class A uniform.

Okie1967 Defend the Police
05/28/18 9:53 am

It’s somewhere in the attic. Haven’t seen it for 20 years or more.

Injectable Mojave Mo Problems
05/28/18 9:13 am

Not a vet, but my grandfather served in Korea. He passed down his uniform and a few firearms to my brother who is also in the armed forces. Pretty sure it just hangs in a closet, but it’s something nice to remember him and his service by.

What you would do with someone else’s? Maybe see if there’s a museum that wants any of it or take it down to your local VFW and see if anyone would appreciate it.

ProudAmerican44 New Joisey
05/28/18 4:45 am

Hubby has his..and wants to be buried in it when he dies..

mark4
05/28/18 1:21 am

I do still have an olive drab laundry bag after 49 years.

presrvd Phoenix
05/27/18 10:23 pm

I have all of my BDUs, DCUs, ACUs, and OCPs. I honestly don't really care what happens to them when I die. They are fun for paintball and airsoft, though...

ShockNAweMack can vs should. think...
05/27/18 9:24 pm

I still have my dress greens and a couple of BDU's.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:17 am

So, do you care what happens to them after you die? Would you be upset if your family/kids just throw them away?

jlong105 Indiana
05/27/18 9:24 pm

Yes. Bury me in my dress blues. Whatever with the rest.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:17 am

Noted. I will make the arrangements.

lj74
05/27/18 9:22 pm

I still have my dress blues and a couple sets of cammies.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:18 am

lj74
05/28/18 5:48 am

It’s their choice, but I doubt that’s going to happen based on their wishes.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
05/27/18 9:04 pm

I gave most of mine away when I got out. I did keep one set of dress whites & dress blues. Yes, still fit in them. I also have a couple submarine coveralls, I use them when I’m painting or working on a vehicle.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
05/27/18 9:04 pm

Forgot....when I die...don’t care.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/27/18 8:56 pm

My father has his. I actually have his old ushanka. It’s so hot it would melt your hair off.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:18 am

For those of us who aren’t Russian, what is a ushanka?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/28/18 8:57 am

flic.kr/p/bwdCtv

This fur hat. He was in the submarine Northern Fleet so his hat is seriously warm. The lining is really thick and quilted more than usual.

GrandmaALiCE Still gardening
05/28/18 10:42 am

I cheated and googled about the ushanka, but your comment made me think of something else. First, I’ll give some background, then I’ll ask my question.

My father-in-law served Germany in World War I. He fought on the Russian front and received two medals. We still have one of the medals, but nothing else from his German military service.

Here’s my question. If an American citizen previously served in a foreign military, is he considered a veteran, entitled to the respect we give our veterans? I don’t mean legally, but rather culturally.

Obviously, they are not entitled to *legal* veterans benefits from the American government. RT, if your father was asked, would he call himself a veteran?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/28/18 11:16 am

My father says no. Yes he is a vet and in Russia is given respect due to his submarine service but in the US, no. In fact, as he was actively participating on the opposing side in the Cold War, the answer would be no. We show our respects to Americans who served but not to those of other nations.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 1:09 pm

GA, I will respect all as veterans. Much like I consider all of my civil war southern ancestors men to be honored. Most military men are fighting for their country and they do not make the decisions. They are fighting for homily and homeland.

This does not include the guards at the camps and torturers.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/27/18 8:42 pm

I still have a few of the blue ones. I wore out the good ones (fatigues) years ago. Give them to Goodwill maybe? That's what I would have already done if they were in the way. The emotional attachment isn’t all that strong, and they will certainly not mean anything to me once I'm dead.

tokala
05/27/18 8:34 pm

I still have my uniforms. I never thought about what should be done with them, when I die. Donating them to the homeless would be a good idea.

tokala
05/27/18 8:37 pm

Donate the BDUs. My nephew will probably want to keep the rest.

iceberg124
05/27/18 8:34 pm

I’ve gotten military gear through purchase of estates, I usually keep some and sell what might be worth something. I’d buy the stuff for $10, it’s cool but not worth much

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/27/18 8:06 pm

Not a *war* vet but served in Germany.
We had to return every item except socks and underwear on discharge.

ronderman North Carolina
05/27/18 7:49 pm

The reason I'm asking is because I've come across an auction where a deceased soldier still had old uniforms, duffel, drill sergeant hat, dress jacket with medal bar, etc.

Right now I'm buying the entire lot for less than 10.00. I just can't let them go. I want to ho or him in some way, but right now, they will likely sit in my attic.

What would you like done with it?

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
05/27/18 7:58 pm

You are doing good.
They may change their mind.
I assume museums are overloaded with that gear.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
05/27/18 7:48 pm

I have my grandfather’s uniform from WW1.
He wore it in France.
I also have his revolver & an artillery shell.
I’m proud to have them.

ronderman North Carolina
05/27/18 7:49 pm

See above.

The dead soldier had children and evidently they didn't want the items because they are being sold.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:15 am

There are some grandkids, but they are likely so young that they won’t care. I didn’t care about my grandfather’s service until I was in my 20s.

Again, the family is selling it off. I have to assume that they don’t want any of it.