Show Of Hands March 18th, 2013 12:55pm

Imperfect as it is, do you think SOH 2.0 is good enough to launch at this point?

AnnieM The Island
03/18/13 6:04 pm

I just got the beta installed on my iPad a little bit ago and I'm seeing several problems that I think make it not quite ready for launch.

AnnieM The Island
03/18/13 6:04 pm

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 6:14 pm

Hi Annie! Good to see you here!

03/18/13 6:33 pm

We've fixed a bunch of things today that are not yet in your build Annie. I'll send out a note when it's ready to download.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 11:32 am

I'm late to the party having been unable to get the iPhone version to load on my iPod, and am still getting used to the new features in the iPad version. I changed my vote to "Almost" though after locking it up using wedaslaves' recipe. I've also had a few random crashes. Maybe another test build?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 11:50 am

And now that I've caught up with these responses and have reinstalled the latest build just to be sure, me too on the no clickable links on the iPad.

03/18/13 1:57 pm

The clickable links is fixed in the next version. I assume the locked keyboard issue is too, as I can't repeat it.

03/18/13 2:17 pm

I'm a little troubled that you can't run it on your iPod. are you sure we have the device ID?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 2:28 pm

Tony I sent it but there was a mix-up with the DevID you already had for my iPad from the first beta. I sent it again, but when it didn't work again on the next few builds I just hung back waiting for the iPad beta. I can send you or Ben both IDs (iPod and iPad) again if you want.

03/18/13 2:31 pm

Please do so I can confirm it's in there and rule that out

03/18/13 9:35 am

Should we still be playing with the GOOD/BAD QUESTION thing, sticking with males = good & females = bad?

03/18/13 9:37 am

Rate away, using your own judgment :)

03/18/13 9:41 am

Oh good. I feel a little bad about rating everything bad.

03/18/13 9:13 am

If the iPad and iPhone were separate apps, I'd release the iPhone version now. But they're a "universal binary" so we gotta get iPad as solid as the iPhone is...

03/18/13 8:54 am

One more thing - on the iPad, not being able to see what you're typing if you're replying to a comment on the bottom.

AnnieM The Island
03/18/13 6:03 pm

That's bothered me for a while.

03/18/13 6:12 pm

I look at it as an exercise in perfecting my typing. And we all know how bad my typing is.

03/18/13 8:23 am

The single feature that concerns me the most on the iPad is the thing wedaslaves has mentioned about the RESULTS page reverting to the last-viewed results. If you're reading comments on a poll and tap CLOSE, its seems quite wrong to get results from some other poll.

03/18/13 9:44 am

This is fixed in the next build you'll see

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/18/13 8:22 am

All is good on my phone. If everyone gets the same user experience as I do, it's worth a launch. Can't say how it works on droids and iPads, though.

03/18/13 8:23 am

I think it's basically very good on the phone, too.

03/18/13 8:18 am

Will there be an unanswered poll indicator for the iPad app, like the bile-green <cough> circle on the home screen for the iPhone?

03/18/13 8:23 am

I don't think so, since there is no "home" screen on the iPad

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/18/13 8:24 am

Yeah, that color is one thing I would change some time after release. Maybe a darker green or a gold?

03/18/13 8:27 am

I can play with gold, but it'll mean changing about 20 graphics :-(

03/18/13 8:30 am

I think Tony likes the green... I've tried not to mention it again but just couldn't help myself. =:-)

I think it's the metallic sheen effect that gets me. The red & blue are such pure colors, relatively. It's as if the green is from some entirely different color class. But I can live with it.

03/18/13 8:32 am

I was thinking an indicator at the too left, between the ASK button and the circle-arrow. There may be a LONG list of polls and it can be tedious to scroll through all if the to see if there are any you've missed.

03/18/13 8:33 am

Don't do it NOW, then! I don't think it's all that important anyway.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/18/13 8:36 am

That's why I said after the update. Next time you catch the "pretty new UI" bug, maybe?

03/18/13 8:14 am

When I quit the iPad app and reopen it, there's a momentary bright flash of white light, as the right panel turns white and then turns the normal charcoal grey. Does that have to happen? It's mildly annoying. Well, a little more than mildly. Been meaning to mention that.

03/18/13 8:11 am

I'd REALLY like to get rid of the open comment field that remains after posting a comment on the iPad. The reply field doesn't stay open like that; why should the comment field? It needs a CLOSE button, t least.

thatguy81 here
03/18/13 8:14 am

Oh god, she's pulling a Susan.

*duck*

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 6:16 pm

I didn't think this bothered me that much, but the more I've seen it, the more it drives me nuts. I've caught myself hitting Polls then Discuss after every comment I add just to clear it.

03/18/13 8:07 am

On the iPad, when viewing MOST LIKED comments, the ability to tap a comment to return to it in MOST RECENT doesn't work (for me anyway). Not saying that HAS to work before release, but if there are a lot of little things like this it may annoy.

03/18/13 8:08 am

And where it does work, on the iPhone, it still only works from that "secret" spot between REPLY and LIKE. How are people supposed to know, and why is it only that one spot?

03/18/13 8:10 am

It's a bug that's on the list. We are replacing the reply button in Most Lked with a view/reply button that will load the comment in its place in Most Recent

03/18/13 9:44 am

Fixed in the next build

03/18/13 7:47 am

Here's a thought... When users are able to follow anyone, they may follow some of us, and they will most likely follow you, Tony. Doesn't that mean they will automatically see all the existing polls we've created? There's some content in them that was written with the understanding of privacy.

thatguy81 here
03/18/13 7:51 am

In cool with deleting all beta polls. If we want, we can pose the questions again (I intended to anyways). I had the same thought a few days ago.

03/18/13 7:55 am

Currently, it looks like all previous questions are available. Susan is your sensible side reprimanding you for those reckless words?

03/18/13 7:58 am

I am ok with purging when we go live.

03/18/13 7:58 am

Haha. Not exactly; the one poll when I specifically mentioned irritations with other users, I did mention would (and probably already had) say the same things to them directly. That doesn't mean I'd want them to just blunder into those comments. Also there's some personal stuff some of us...

03/18/13 8:00 am

..indicated we might have posted in public. And then there's the infamous cheese vs oral sex poll.

Yeah, I'd be ok with all of them being deleted. Given a bit of notice; as livefree says, some can be posted again, so I'd like to take a look at them.

03/18/13 8:01 am

*might NOT have posted in public

03/18/13 8:07 am

Lol, you know I am teasing you. You are always so sensible and find the down to earth effective truth in things you talk about. I had to pull your leg. It was just begging for a tease.

03/18/13 8:09 am

I knew you were teasing. Seemed worth explaining the specific concerns, though.
=:-)

03/18/13 8:10 am

Just to be very clear, I like that about you. You bring sanity to the conversation.

03/18/13 8:11 am

We'll clean up (archive) all user polls before launching

NicCage Hollywood
03/18/13 9:11 am

User polls are removed after one week, so people shouldn't be able to go to far back.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/18/13 6:05 pm

Oh good, I didn't even think about that cheese/oral sex question going public! Good grief, I need to start using my brain more.

thatguy81 here
03/18/13 7:03 am

For the iPhone, the only real issues left I think are sorting alphabetically and popular users. Otherwise I think iPhone is GTG

Emma Austin.ish.
03/18/13 6:07 pm

Is there any way we could type in part of a user's ID and it bring up everyone with that in their ID? Other than that, I agree, iPhone is looking great. My iPad hasn't been giving me the same issues I've seen others have been having.

03/18/13 7:41 pm

That would be a fabulous addition, the ability to search for users by partial username. On the other hand, I've been adding them on the fly as I encounter them in comments, so I'm not sure how often I'd use it,

Emma Austin.ish.
03/18/13 8:01 pm

There are times when I've wanted to add someone after the fact , without wanting to search through the comments. But yeah, I usually like a person when I see their comments, too.

03/18/13 6:54 am

Tony, off the top of my head here is my bug only list:
categories must be saved to move away.
politicians creates some background overlay that hangs the system.
profile has multiple field issues including crossover, non update and not sure if follow notify works.

03/18/13 6:58 am

People does not let me search for and add new followers.
Polls do not automatically refresh right pane, have to press results. The poll user options don't work properly - dumps in email, no new options like follow. Can't copy links.

03/18/13 7:02 am

I have mentioned other smaller items. However, the above would get my negative attention as a new user trying it out for the first time.

03/18/13 7:03 am

Did you download the latest?

w.showofhands.mobi/deploys

03/18/13 7:08 am

Tony, I tried both the first then second update Ben gave us. I have checked a few times but did not notice any more. I can do another clean test just to be 100% sure.

03/18/13 7:16 am

The link copying one is what has me thinking you may not have the latest.

03/18/13 7:18 am

Tony, I just deleted the app, certificate and completely rebooted my system. Then reinstalled and tested. I am still getting those errors.

03/18/13 7:21 am

Except the dump to email that Susan and I noticed.

03/18/13 7:21 am

Ok. Thanks.

03/18/13 7:30 am

Anytime Tony. I think the politicians keyboard glitch I posted may help you find that phantom you were looking for too. You can do it. It is just a few tweaks. We believe in you guys.

03/18/13 7:33 am

I've been reviewing my list, and the first time I checked this morning, I was still getting the dump to email when tapping on a username. I checked just now & I am NOT getting it, I get the pop up with IGNORE/REPORT. Did something change, or did I have different circumstances? Weird.

03/18/13 7:37 am

Except just now, I got the dump to email again. I quit the app, reopened, & now I'm NOT getting it. Grrr.

03/18/13 7:43 am

Tony, is the dump to email a server setting? I just got it again when clicking on a user ID.

03/18/13 7:45 am

Clickable links & Copy are supposed to be working in the *iPad* version now? NEITHER work on the iPad for me. Just the phone.

03/18/13 7:46 am

Now it shows the report options for users and sends me to email for Tony. I can't report Tony for abuse anymore? Nice.

03/18/13 7:50 am

Now it is misbehaving again. I think you have enough info for now. Let me know if you need more data.

03/18/13 8:13 am

Thanks guys. We'll work on these and get another build out ASAP

MrWolfe Nashville
03/18/13 6:34 am

How long before iPad bugs are worked out? If only a couple of weeks, then wait & release all at once.
Set a goal of April 1 for iOS & May 1 for Droid

MrWolfe Nashville
03/18/13 6:38 am

This may not be comparable since SoH is a fun, sociable app...
In my world of 'pro app' use, communities are always screaming 'we'd rather wait for a bug-free release'
Maybe make this a poll question to the user base? 'Would you rather have it now with a few glitches, or wait a little longer?'

03/18/13 6:46 am

Hopefully we can get the iPad bugs worked out and get iOS submitted for Apple's review this week.

03/18/13 6:29 am

You may have to close the app and restart again.

03/18/13 6:28 am

iPad users - click politicians, view a page or two. Then select profile and type something in year of birth, cancel. Come back to a poll and see if you can type anything?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 11:20 am

I tried but didn't get that far. Froze going back to politicians with a message about loading them. Had to close and restart SoH to clear it. Definitely something wrong there.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 11:47 am

Just deleted, then reinstalled with the latest build. Duplicated your error - couldn't type a response to polls, but couldn't type a new birthdate in the profile either. I couldn't get a cursor to come up in the birthdate field either. You found a good one.

03/18/13 11:57 am

Zod, I also have the issues you mention with the date. It is my programmers intuition. I have a good nose for trouble. Sometimes it's good. Other times I wish I didn't notice anything. Mind you, it is easier to find problems than it is to solve them ;-)

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/18/13 2:01 pm

wedaslaves agreed - I've had some limited experience in the field. :-) But it's always easier to find and fix an error that is repeatable and consistent than one that is seemingly random or poorly described. The ones the kids today call "memory leaks" used to make me crazy.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/18/13 6:26 am

I will miss the beta privacy, that sucks.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/18/13 7:15 am

If the 'follower/following' stuff gets sorted out, should still be fun!

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/18/13 7:25 am

Hope so.
Either way, it has been a blast.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/18/13 6:10 pm

That would be cool if we could choose a group of followers to send a poll out to. I'd, of course, always include you guys... ;)

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/18/13 6:22 am

How do you feel about it Tony?
iPad version has very minor glitches.
"Houston, we are go for launch"

03/18/13 8:30 am

I'm never satisfied, but we need to get this out there. Been working on it for 6 months, and downloads are starting a lag because we haven't done anything new in a long time.

03/18/13 6:12 am

It just crashed, unable to load poll data ;-). Tony, if you fix the iPad bugs we mentioned, it is definitely fun and presentable as a product. In other words, the features are great and can always be improved as you are ready. The current bugs are a no go right now.