Show Of Hands March 17th, 2013 12:25am

Should we set a 1-per-day poll posting limit to start, just to prevent people from overdoing it and burning out themselves and their followers?

srobb Colorado
03/22/13 12:36 pm

Just using this older beta poll to post something from this dummy account.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/16/13 10:07 pm

It could distract clients from the main set of questions where numbers matter more statistically.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/16/13 9:26 pm

I try to pace myself for those reasons. However, putting limits might not feel so good. It will make you think harder to make it count though. It may be wise if you present it as a conservation of resources issue at first.

colinbrown
03/16/13 8:51 pm

maybe allow for 'bunched' notifications, instead? so if someone were generating lots of notifications for new questions, start waiting longer and longer between sends and sending notifications of many questions added in same notification? one a day seems no fun!

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 6:19 pm

Tony, are you anticipating any significant amount of abuse, and do you foresee needing to monitor it similarly to what we discussed earlier but maybe pretty heavily in the early days? Or not? I'm wondering about the sort of folks that, on that "have you made any art recently" poll, proceeded to...

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 6:21 pm

..describe what they left in the toilet that day. There seemed like quite a number of users with that mentality. Or the people who seem to need to mention their penis & what they've done with it lately. Just wondering. =:-p

Tony SOH Founder
03/16/13 7:01 pm

I'm sure people will post all kinds of garbage, but I'm counting on the fact that only garbage-seekers will follow those folks. Should be interesting to watch...

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 7:07 pm

Oh. Cool.

Speaking of following, will the follow lists be alphabetical at some point?

Tony SOH Founder
03/16/13 7:11 pm

Yeah we should be able to make that happen.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/16/13 6:05 pm

Not everyone will post polls, and some might run amok. I bet the average will be less than one per user, even if unrestricted, and if followers start to feel the strain, they'll un-follow. If server capacity is a concern, start with a conservative limit, but if the machine can take it, go wide open.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/16/13 6:00 pm

I'm counting on other people burning out their followers and driving them to me! Muahahahaha!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/16/13 6:06 pm

Doopy, I'd follow you twice if I could.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/16/13 6:11 pm

Why thank you. I shall strive to be worthy of your enthusiasm!

bherzberg Virginia
03/16/13 5:34 pm

One a day seems a little too restricted

thatguy81 here
03/16/13 5:33 pm

I would do at least 3. One a day may not be the new exiting thing they were expecting. May drive people away

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 5:55 pm

I was going to suggest 2 for the same reason. Then I started thinking about the hundreds of eager users, and worrying more about straining servers. Maybe start with 1 & ramp up daily if it can take the added activity? I don't really care. Whatever works without making the place crazy.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/16/13 6:20 pm

It would totally suck if it overwhelmed the servers. Maybe 1/day, but up to 3/day with a paid subscription? I think waiting on the photo polls might not be a bad idea, either, until people are used to the new system. Just my opinion.

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 6:29 pm

To be a little clearer I wasn't as concerned about just volume, but increases in the different tasks being asked of servers - sorting out who's wanting to access what, adding data to way more polls than usual (although fewer users per poll...), calculating & showing stats, etc. Imagining slowdowns.

Tony SOH Founder
03/16/13 8:00 pm

I think (hope) our server capacity will hold up. If not we can scale up quickly until the $$ runs out. The biggest load seems to come from questions with a lot of answers as opposed to lots of questions with fewer answers each. Hence the 100 answer cap for the free version.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
03/16/13 9:23 pm

Tony, are we supposed to be able to generate multiple choice questions on the iPad? I can't see that option.

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 5:32 pm

Sounds wise to me.

icechris12 New Jersey
03/16/13 5:26 pm

I definitely think so. See how people react to their new ability then change it depending on the results