Show Of Hands March 15th, 2013 8:45pm

Have you ever had to evacuate your home because of a natural disaster or human-caused event?

JelloKyari SoCal
03/20/13 4:51 pm

Only once. A kid buried a (small) pipe bomb in the field next door. We took the dog and even the fish outside. It was pretty fun, only lasted 30 mins

therazz11
03/19/13 8:16 am

step 1: unlock door

step 2: open door

godcyanide Probably gone for good
03/18/13 8:34 am

No, but I'm sure it will happen soon, half a block from the Atlantic and all.

ladestra Urban Conservative
03/18/13 3:56 am

As a little kid only 3, in Henderson, NV the Pepcon plant exploded, they made solid rocket fuel. 1st explosion woke me & mom up, she walked outside to see & 2nd explosion blew her back 10 ft, blew all doors&windows out in my house. This was late 80's she saw mushroom cloud & thought USSR attacked us

mommygrunge
03/17/13 10:14 pm

Perfectly calm day in July we go to sit down and watch a movie in a fantastically priced house on the river next to awesome neighbors and just after I leave the bathroom a tree crashes thru our house pretty much demolishing the bathroom I was just in

9289 Michigan
03/17/13 8:48 pm

I scrolled through quite awhile and don't see any comments from LA. They have probably went thru the worst and yet no comments. Kind of put things in perspective. I respect those folks.

Bait30
03/17/13 8:34 pm

I remember evacuating for Hurricane Rita. We traveled for 12 hours and went 30 minutes out of Houston, but then we turned around.

LilWing00
03/17/13 3:59 pm

Lost power... It was too hot to live in my house, came back when the power came back... Thankfully Not as serious as other ppl on here tho.

NoblEst
03/17/13 3:36 pm

It was highly recommended that we evacuate a couple of times (when I lived in Tampa) but never mandatory and I stayed.

nogoodname League City
03/17/13 1:25 pm

Hurricane ike. We were on the edge of the evacuation zone.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
03/17/13 8:47 am

ice storm in 93? forgot what year it was, but it was when I was driving., and I had to stay with my dad with a week because we lost power

Andrea
03/17/13 8:02 am

Hurricane Ike in 2008 flooded my home. I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone.

skschroen always at school
03/16/13 9:58 pm

I take it back, if you count 2 days because of power loss from sandy storm then yes

JoetheGoldenHoe
03/16/13 8:04 pm

Only one time have I had to leave a section of the house - it wasn't a full evac. We were cutting down pines and one tree actually wasn't being cut with a wedge (a wedge is made by cutting on an angle instead of straight across) and it started leaning toward the house. Luckily, we pulled it back.

UnicornLoner16 League City, Texas
03/16/13 6:55 pm

Not until the zombie apocalypse and/or end-of-the-world I'm hoping...

skschroen always at school
03/16/13 9:58 pm

Well when you evacuate you wont be comming back haha

OldLady
03/16/13 6:47 pm

First I vote no then I remembered in 1994 we had an ice storm and We had to move in with my in-laws because we didn't have electricity for 16 days.

lectrik Silly gas guzzling Prius
03/16/13 6:31 pm

It's bush's fault!

sarahedwards OKC
03/16/13 4:12 pm

Nope, but I have friends who have.

smtimberman
03/16/13 3:12 pm

When I lived in the dorms in college, they caught fire in the middle of the night and we were evacuated for the day.

smtimberman
03/16/13 3:13 pm

The great Lafollette fire of Ball State

pegasaurous
03/16/13 2:59 pm

Don't even lie California. Wildfires of 2007? Earthquakes?

handsoftime
03/16/13 3:44 pm

I live in San Jo, we don't get wild fires or serious earthquakes. Loma Prieta in '89 mostly affected the city, the peninsula, and the cruz. Haven't had an earthquake close to that since

nightcrow44 the dark side
03/16/13 2:38 pm

Sorry about that Louisiana I had no idea more than half the state had to be evacuated due to katrina

FaceMoose Over There
03/16/13 12:37 pm

Oh, I forgot about all of the times we had to evacuate the building during high school. It wasn't located in a highly urban area, but some of the neighborhoods that our district included were pretty ghetto, so we had lots of bomb threats, gang fights, stink bombs, and small fires in the school.

FaceMoose Over There
03/16/13 12:29 pm

Yes. In December a small fire was accidentally started by some workmen near by but went unnoticed because when they left the site it was just a tiny flame under some metal. By midnight, though, it was enormous and on the move. Our street dead ends at a lake, and the fire was about to block the-

FaceMoose Over There
03/16/13 12:31 pm

-road. The Sheriff's department woke us up to inform us about the fire and suggested that we leave now just in case. We grabbed our phones, wallets, and keys and got down the road just before the flames jumped the road. The fire was finally put out about 30 yards from our house.

PomMom
03/16/13 11:15 am

Yes, once in 1986 b/c we had had record rain fall and there was serious concern that the levy around my town wouldn't withstand the rising water from the Arkansas river. You had to show your ID with a local address to get into town - it was creepy quiet.

EnginE3r Texas
03/16/13 9:34 am

Once when there was a confirmed tornado touch down and it's predicted path was in the direction of our house so we decided to leave just in case it did come by.

ziplock
03/16/13 9:29 am

When the Russians invaded. Long story.

sohiskooo Blackhawks parade
03/16/13 9:18 am

Never. But i live next to a nuclear fallout shelter. Its kinda creepy.

eliseml14
03/16/13 8:41 am

Poor louisianna

sunshinej
03/16/13 8:39 am

Numerous times for hurricanes and for the flood in pa in 2011 we were under mandatory evacuation even though we lived at the end of the building away from the creek on the second floor.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
03/16/13 8:17 am

There was a pretty bad winter one year where they didn't get the power back up for about two weeks. We did fine... just all slept in the living room by the wood-burning stove, which we cooked on and heated bath water. It was actually kinda nice.

gtgconfused
03/16/13 8:16 am

Evacuated for bomb threats too many times to count over the past 35 yrs. Couple of lock downs due to prison escapes too.

sohiskooo Blackhawks parade
03/16/13 9:15 am

Are you in prison?

gtgconfused
03/16/13 9:29 am

No, college was next to prison; later, our home was located close to three prisons.

gtgconfused
03/16/13 3:27 pm

Several, a couple from max security during Xmas holiday and a blizzard didn't help matters.

CharlotteMassacare
03/16/13 8:11 am

Bomb and gun threats in school. Boarding school. They also evacuated us when a student had drugs

omniku dot com
03/16/13 8:07 am

I mean kinda. During Sandy we lost power, then hot water and heat, then all water. It was fun at first but after a couple days we went to our friend's in Brooklyn who had all utilities just so we were comfortable. It's not like we were forced to evacuate but it got cold and no water was last straw.

PSU.labtech
03/16/13 8:01 am

A plane crashed into my neighbors house a few years ago; they evacuated the every house on the street till the fire was under control.

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/16/13 7:59 am

I have never had to evacuate thankfully. I have had to cower in basements because of tornados. I have been through floods in Iowa. I almost had to evacuate Pensacola fl in 2008 because of a hurricane. But have never had the experience of potentially losing my home without witnessing it first hand.

yankeefan246 Tracy,CA
03/16/13 7:58 am

We had to evacuate my school this week because of a bomb threat

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/16/13 7:59 am

Thank you auto correct.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
03/16/13 8:05 am

Did it turn out to be an empty threat?

yankeefan246 Tracy,CA
03/16/13 8:07 am

Ya it was an empty threat and we had another bomb threat the next day too but we didn't evacuate that time

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
03/16/13 6:03 pm

Glad it was an empty threat. I just hope that if some nut decides to do it for real nobody gets hurt.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
03/16/13 7:32 am

I voted yes, but it wasnt my "home" exactly. It was freshman year of college and i was in Charleston SC...hurricane was on the way, and the projected path went right over us. They made us evac...15 hours on the highway to go 220 miles to a buddies house...and the hurricane missed us altogether...ugh

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 10:47 am

Hey, that counts. I knew a guy who was new to Charleston and refused to evacuate for a hurricane because he thought it would be interesting to experience it. That was Hugo. He swore he would never be so stupid again.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/16/13 7:29 am

Once on chili night....

bnnt Los Angeles
03/16/13 7:20 am

The ocean raised because of global warming and I became a refuge.

Oh wait, that didn't happen.

thatguy81 here
03/16/13 7:22 am

Just wondering if you feel like an ass yet?

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/16/13 7:30 am

Not yet. But ask the folks in lower Manhattan what it'll be like.

bnnt Los Angeles
03/16/13 7:32 am

Lice - actually no, because it's not happening. 'May happen' doesn't mean it is. Just like global cooling in the 70's. But you're probably too young and naive to remember that.
Point: global scientists want to keep and job and govmnts want global tax. One day when you grow up, you'll figure it out.

HatHZ
03/16/13 7:35 am

Ouch - Livefree just got pwned!

thatguy81 here
03/16/13 7:36 am

"Some of Kiribati's 32 pancake-flat coral atolls, which straddle the equator over 1,350,000 square miles of ocean, are already disappearing beneath the waves."

But yea, that takes reading, which I know is hard for people like you.

"If its not happening to me, it's not happening" Right?

thatguy81 here
03/16/13 7:44 am

ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/change/how_will_we_be_affected/sea_level_rise_en.htm

Yes, a global conspiracy so we all pay a global tax (that doesn't exsist)

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/16/13 7:45 am

Bnnt. You honestly think that global warming is a multinational conspiracy? Just a simple review of my electric bills (shows average temperature for the month) for the last 10 years show a trending average upward.

thatguy81 here
03/16/13 7:45 am

I'm glad the majority of Americans aren't nearly as dumb as you.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/16/13 7:45 am

I honestly wish there was an IQ requirement for this app.

bnnt Los Angeles
03/16/13 8:05 am

Kids - there's really no point arguing with you two. This is your religion and you'll pick and choose articles that back your theory.

In 10-20+ years you'll realize how ridiculous you were, but your pride will keep you from realizing you're wrong.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/16/13 8:13 am

Bnnt. Where would you suggest we look for other information? A legitimate site would be nice. Not one linked to oil companies or Fox News would be ideal.

thatguy81 here
03/16/13 8:19 am

I would love to read peer reviewed scientific studies that claim your position. Except they don't exist. In 20 years when you've had to move, don't come knocking on my door.

susanr Colorado
03/16/13 10:50 am

It's happening. It's not a conspiracy or a plot by scientists to keep their jobs. Deny all you want, but come back here in 10-20 years & well have this discussion again.

PLEA to nationwide schools: SCIENCE EDUCATION. NOW. With a side of statistics and one of logic.

okcougar
03/16/13 7:06 am

I've seen my fair share of natural disasters but thankfully never had to be evacuated.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
03/16/13 6:58 am

The thing that I don't understand is, why do folks keep living in flood plains?!? You know it's going to flood again, why not move to higher ground?!?

JanuaryLove
03/16/13 7:33 am

My in-laws live in a small community along the Mississippi River. The houses directly up against the river -- whose porches overlook the river -- do get flooded every few/several years. I suppose they stay for the amazing view. Most have a plan in place for when it does flood.

JanuaryLove
03/16/13 7:34 am

I wouldn't want to live like that, but I am also in no danger of being able to afford one of those houses, either. :)