Show Of Hands March 8th, 2013 4:56pm

Assuming equal value, and you can only choose one... Which would you choose?

Futurama St. Thomas Estate Fortuna
03/08/13 8:10 pm

Scuba dive off my home. Yes please.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/08/13 12:32 pm

I had 2 bosses that retired at 40, bought a giant boat, and hung out in the Carribean. They got tired of it after 5 years and moved back to TX. Think I'd prefer the jet, if it came with an experienced pilot. More options, fewer pirates.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 12:38 pm

You know... You bring up a good point.
Assuming one has the resources to hire private security personnel for your boat trips; I wonder what international law is concerning how 'armed' your vessel can be.
As in.. is their some kind of equivalent of the 2nd amendment for private ships?

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 12:39 pm

I'll bet livefree83 knows! ????

Emma Austin.ish.
03/08/13 12:56 pm

Those bosses were really overweight, but they had a penchant for hanging out naked on their boat. We always joked that'd be enough to keep the pirates away. Guess it was. Ew. Now I have that mental image.

03/08/13 1:51 pm

Livefree does know!

International maritime law does not have limits on types or quantities of weapons. If you plan on checking into countries however, you have to follow their laws in their water and especially after checking in with the harbor master. Some countries require that you let the local

03/08/13 1:52 pm

Police hold your weapons and ammo in their vault in exchange for a receipt of held goods and will return them to you on your departure date.

Re: pirates. Depending on where you go, they aren't actually a big deal. The only place where caution is urged beyond South Asia is off Yemen in the Red Sea..

03/08/13 1:54 pm

To counter this, cruisers (people who live aboard boats for extended periods) arrange regattas of several hundred boats and usually get protection from a UN navy vessel to get past the African peninsula there and into the Red Sea and on to the med. the stories of those who are hijacked are those ...

03/08/13 1:54 pm

Who ventured too far in water in the philipeenes and travels the Red Sea at night by themselves.

03/08/13 1:56 pm

Quite a few cruisers do just stay on the Carib until they get tired of it or their spouse looses their minds. We have a complete circumnavigation planned for when the daughter is 13. Our plan takes 5 years so by the time we port back in the US, she can hop off and do her thing. Then we decide where

03/08/13 1:56 pm

We want to go again, where to not go, and probably where we wanna stay for long periods.

Anything else y'all wanna know about cruising?

Plenty of websites and blogs to read :)

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 1:59 pm

Makes sense. But in the unlikely event a pirate ship approached with clear intent to do harm, the vessel is clear to engage with whatever defense available?
eg If you had some AR-15's & such on board, you can start mowing?

03/08/13 2:03 pm

Absolutely. In fact it happens with shipping vessels occasionally. Of course, very few countries want that in their record, so if you mayday or help, who ever is close will usually send a naval vessel to intercede

03/08/13 2:04 pm

Y'all really opened a can of worms on this though because I could talk for hours ????

03/08/13 2:06 pm

Some people report some ammo "missing" after the cops return it to them, especially in South American countries where corruption is an issue and the South Pacific where ammo is über expensive and rusts quickly because of humidity. Most cruisers don't have guns because its not really needed...

03/08/13 2:06 pm

Some just have a shotgun to display during a possible hostile encounter

03/08/13 2:08 pm

Worldwide, I think I saw last, there wa an estimated 1M+ people who travel the world in boats and maybe 25-50 instances a year of pirates with them. The biggest issue is poverty stricken locals. They see a boat and equate it to $, so there is more theft on board and people trying to sell you stuff

03/08/13 2:08 pm

Ok, I'll stop until people actually care ????

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 2:13 pm

Nah... Good info. Would love to buy a boat someday if...ummmm... 'My ship comes in'
????⛵????

susanr Colorado
03/08/13 2:52 pm

I talked with the kid yesterday about your plan to brew & grow food on board. She thought growing food was very feasible, brewing maybe a bit less so but possible. May give her some ideas for future travels. She & her father have talked not too long ago about going to Japan, at least.

03/08/13 3:01 pm

hackingfamily.com/jon/brewing/brewing_beer.htm

^ one of our favorite cruise blogs of all time. The issues inherent in brewing are definitely expounded on sea. Fresh water, sanitary tools, no contaminants etc. Being beer deprived on a voyage like US to Japan, I'd try anything :p

03/08/13 3:02 pm

And growing food is hard with all the salt, so I will also require a lot of fresh water. I'm a very stubborn person (go figure!) and I relish the opportunity to make it work :p

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/08/13 12:31 pm

Not just private jet, private FIGHTER jet. Like a Saab JAS-39 Gripen... All the way fun.

susanr Colorado
03/08/13 10:07 am

But like almost everything else, I want *small.*

susanr Colorado
03/08/13 2:53 pm

At one point on my life, I almost brought a handmade canoe home from Maine. They were so beautiful.

03/08/13 10:02 am

Easy! And we chose www.liveantares.com/ because that's the catamaran we want anyways when we circumnavigate the globe ????