Show Of Hands March 8th, 2013 3:55am

Are there times where you wish you'd never read the comments section of a poll?

03/07/13 9:17 pm

Almost every poll where the subject is something I have more than average knowledge about. Every poll touching on sexual orientation. Any poll touching on obesity. Most polls involving politics. Any poll where people get bashed or made fun of, which is most of the above and then some.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/07/13 9:18 pm

I didn't comment in the 'college' poll.
Anybody know what went wrong?

03/07/13 9:36 pm

Can you take a look at mklanne's recent post on G+? That's at least one aspect of it, but I gather there was more. I'm off to reply to her there now.

Or maybe she or Tony will talk about it here.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/07/13 9:59 pm

I didn't know where to post that, but I take suicidal ideations seriously.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/07/13 10:01 pm

I'm glad you read them anyway, Susan. Your comments are always very insightful.

03/07/13 10:12 pm

Thanks... I feel like I'm shouting into a wind tunnel most of the time though. I've been commenting off & on all day that sex isn't simply a matter of xx vs xy , M/F, & trying to give examples, including a personal friend who is an xy female (I forget which gene is wonky but it's one that...

03/07/13 10:17 pm

..controls testosterone release but I'm still getting comments like "it's unnatural if she wants to have gay sex." The ugliest & most ignorant comments are coming from people I don't know, but some, and a lot of stupid joking, come from people I care about. And it just keeps coming on and on and on

MrWolfe Nashville
03/07/13 10:24 pm

Understood... Don't let it upset you, though. They are, after all, just words on a screen.
These things will be rectified in time. It wasn't that relatively long ago that minorities had to drink from separate water fountains....In your lifetime!
We'll get it right, hopefully sooner than later! :)

03/07/13 10:35 pm

They're not just words on a screen, they're people. (Although, they're people I don't have to engage with...) And there's another person out there, a 13-year-old transgender SOH user, who may be reading all that crap. And who knows how many others we don't know about.

03/07/13 10:38 pm

Do you remember my story about the "colored" drinking fountain sign in Dothan, Alabama? I wonder if it's still there.

Thanks for the pep talk, though. I've been wavering between vomiting and throwing my phone through the window all night. I appreciate you taking the time.

03/08/13 5:32 pm

Now I've got someone telling me that both my friend who's a female because of a mutation in a gene controlling testosterone release, AND all people with Down syndrome ARE NOT HUMAN.

Good lord. I wonder if the guy has any clue about mutations. What the hell has happened to science education???

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 5:37 pm

I'm with you. I'm in a discussion with a biblical 'sabre rattler' about this issue. I'll probably let/her him get the last word in if he/he doesn't come to grips with knowledge beyond their own grasp. No sense arguing with a fence post...

03/08/13 5:49 pm

That's why I barely dabbled in the gluten poll. No way to deal with people who say things like: there was so much _____ (I forget what it was) build up in my body that the only place there was room for it was my stomach. And: gluten forms a sludge in your body. Gaaa!

03/08/13 5:51 pm

I know there are some people who seem to be sensitive to it (beyond people with true celiac disease) but it's become such a big fad cure-all disease - AS HAVE MANY OTHER DIETARY IDEAS. I don't like to trample on people's feelings that they're doing good things for their body, so I tend to..

03/08/13 5:53 pm

..just butt out. But again, this is an area where I know a little something... that apparently no one wants to hear.

God help us if there's ever a poll about Morgellon's "disease." I'll probably blow a gasket.

I dealt with this on Compuserve for years, you'd think I'd be used to it.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 6:00 pm

No way! I know someone with 'Morgelloan's!'
I think she's just got psych problems. What say you? Shoot me a message on Facebook if it's lengthy!

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 6:03 pm

Or heck... Here

Jfcgtr74@comcast.net

03/08/13 6:10 pm

Will do. It'll be a little while. I forgot to eat again. I'm still trying to talk myself into going to the grocery too, to stock up on bulk nuts, since we're supposed to get a foot of snow.

I sound like a squirrel.

Emma Austin.ish.
03/08/13 6:19 pm

Hey, I want in on the FB thing with you guys, if you're willing. It would be nice to be able to periodically DM. I'd have to temporarily disable my security settings, so let me know. :)

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 6:27 pm

Aren't we already FB friends? You have it where someone can't send you a message?

03/08/13 6:34 pm

Yes, please, let's do that. I just looked for you to send an invitation but couldn't find you. There are lots of people with my name but if you add my city in seem to be the only one; search for "susan robbins fort collins."

Do you want to do the Instagram thing too? Some of us are there, ...

Emma Austin.ish.
03/08/13 6:36 pm

lol, it just dawned on me you changed your username. not one of my brighter moments, guess I should've just sent this to Susan.

03/08/13 6:36 pm

..plus okie & RJ. I'm susanbdot there.

And anybody else who isn't there as well... Tilton?

Emma Austin.ish.
03/08/13 6:40 pm

Susan, I'll try to find you through JC's page. I don't come up on searches, and I don't have my last name on FB at all bc it used to be too much of a threat to my job.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 6:40 pm

I'm jaysoncisme on Instagram

Emma Austin.ish.
03/08/13 6:45 pm

I abandoned Instagram when they tried to own my photos, but I may end up going back (haven't decided yet).

MrWolfe Nashville
03/08/13 6:50 pm

The suspense is killing me with the Morgelloan's! You have no idea what a huge deal it would be for me to get some real insight. Spent 3 years on the road with someone who's spouse has it.
LOTS of conversations...

thatguy81 here
03/07/13 8:57 pm

Don't make Susan pull a Susan....

MrWolfe Nashville
03/07/13 8:53 pm

No fear. Skin as thick as leather. Ice-water in the veins.....all while wearing a tux*
Somebody's gotta do it ????

(*Pulp Fiction reference)

Emma Austin.ish.
03/07/13 8:52 pm

For me, it was actually the "wealth gap" question that did me in. So much whining and bickering! Felt like I was teaching freshmen chemistry again.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/07/13 8:54 pm

Oooh! I've tied up on the gender-bender MMA thing. Need to go jump in that one!

03/11/13 3:37 pm

Dear god, I can't take the wrangling & nastiness for one more minute.

I had to vent SOMEWHERE.