Show Of Hands March 4th, 2013 9:45pm

An elderly woman has died after collapsing in a retirement home. A 911 dispatcher explained to the staff nurse who called that CPR was needed, at which point the nurse stated that company policy prohibited it until 1st responders arrived. Pick a side

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/05/13 1:17 am

Someone should be fired, and slapped for this. No criminal charges, but an open-palmed charge of street justice...

susanr Colorado
03/05/13 7:06 am

Who? The nurse who was a butthead on the phone, the director for promoting the policy, or whoever came up with the policy originally (I'm guessing lawyers)?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/05/13 7:11 am

We might have to make them form a line and slap them all...

Doopy Remedial Americanism
03/05/13 7:12 am

But the director should be fired, and the lawyers should probably be ostracized.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/05/13 8:48 am

Ha ha, Doopy... Makes me think of that famous scene in 'Airplane!'

susanr Colorado
03/05/13 10:05 am

I'll help.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/04/13 6:35 pm

Jesus!
It's a human being!
Pucker up granny!!
LoL!

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/04/13 6:36 pm

What a stupid company policy.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
03/04/13 6:38 pm

I could find another job, I'd do everything in my power to save her life.

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 3:00 pm

This is just insane. Did you listen to the 911 tape?

MrWolfe Nashville
03/04/13 3:15 pm

Yes. Ridiculous. I understand company policy, and it's certainly a shame that folks may be unwilling to help another in distress for fear of losing their job.
Still....not on my watch. Screw the company and help that woman!!

thatguy81 here
03/04/13 3:17 pm

I will never understand that mentality.

MrWolfe Nashville
03/04/13 3:21 pm

I'll say this, though..There may be more to the story.
The company may have been drilling the 'do not assist' policy into the heads of the staff because of prior litigation, cover your own a**, etc.
Still, common human decency should prevail, right? Why not hand the phone to a passer-by if unsure?

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 3:32 pm

According to a news article I read (and or course there's the usual caveat that we don't know the accuracy of the reporting) the executive director of the place told media that they have the no-CPR policy because it's an independent living facility, not a nursing facility, and there are no nurses...

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 3:36 pm

...on staff to provide assistance. And yet it was a nurse who made the 911 call. And yeah, why wouldn't she hand the phone to SOMEONE who could do it w/o fear of liability? And their blanket policy is stupid; the woman wasn't in good health but she wasn't on her deathbed- she was in the dining room!

MrWolfe Nashville
03/04/13 3:40 pm

Yep. Why we need *some* level of tort reform, in my view

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 3:44 pm

A lot of places (and I mean "places" very loosely because I don't know exactly who they are & what proportion are public vs private - but things like schools, airports, restaurants etc.) are making defibrillators available now, and I would imagine that there's been some CPR training g as well..

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 3:47 pm

..It just seems utterly backward and heartless for a residential facility for the "INDEPENDENT" elderly would have such an ass-backward policy. I don't see it as anything but self-serving - it certainly doesn't serve the residents well at all.

On the other hand, supposedly the woman's...

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 3:49 pm

..daughter said she was completely happy with the care provided (including, I have to presume, not trying to prevent her mother's death), so who knows. I won't be signing up there, though.

It's too late to ask my dad what his policy was - he was director of a nursing home for the "incurable."

MrWolfe Nashville
03/04/13 3:49 pm

What was so gut-wrenching was listening the dispatcher practically *begging* this 'nurse' to find *anyone* close by that might be willing to help.
That had to be so hard...

susanr Colorado
03/04/13 4:01 pm

Yes. I knew the call was going to be hard to listen to - my favorite science journalist on Twitter mentioned it as "the most grueling" 911 call he'd ever heard. And it was truly awful, between the operator's almost desperation and what sounded like lack of concern on the nurse's part.

thatguy81 here
03/04/13 4:44 pm

Not just lack of concern...there was no human emotion in that "nurse's" voice. At all.

My hope is that this incident drives those currently there out, and those that would otherwise go there to stay away.

My absolute hope is the above plus manslaughter charges all around

MrWolfe Nashville
03/04/13 5:17 pm

No doubt, bro. Completely detached

thatguy81 here
03/04/13 2:59 pm

Deplorable.

Goes to show you should always read the fine print.