polster2 December 12th, 2017 12:03am

The University of Iowa has pulled the registration of a Christian student group after it admitted to discriminating against students who did not share its values, saying that recognized student groups must be inclusive of everyone. Pick a side.

otto Olean, NY
12/14/17 11:03 pm

I’m confused. Is there a link explaining what is meant by “discriminating”? If we’re talking assault, then yes, they should be stopped. If we’re talking refusal of requests to join, then no, leave them alone.

If it is a Christian group, then by definition it does not admit those who do not hold Christian values. This is not a good or bad thing. It is simply liberty.

Would they try to shut down a Muslim group who refused to admit members who don’t hold Muslim values? No. It is precisely the point of it being a Muslim group. And that is fine.

I’m quite certain the Black Student Union when I was in college would have refused me as a member as well. And I would be fine with that. Of course, it would have been silly of me to ask to join.

otto Olean, NY
12/14/17 11:03 pm

Which brings up the real question: why on earth would someone who did not share Christian values even WANT to join a Christian group. It seems the sole reason would be to be a jerk and raise bogus discrimination claims in order to shut it down. Pure spite, or oppression, is the only purpose.

ctskapski x
12/12/17 1:28 am

If that's the policy than that's the policy. I disagree with it, but I don't know that they're in the wrong, necessarily.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/11/17 7:15 pm

So....I.....I don’t even have the words for how stupid that is. So many Asians will now be joining the black student union 🙄🙄🙄🙄

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
12/11/17 6:47 pm

Kind of a silly act by the U. Kind of like someone wanting to join the ski club despite not being a skier and with no interest in becoming one. What’s the point other than being an ass hole and wanting to piss people off?

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/11/17 5:49 pm

So I can join the "Black Engineers Society" at my school? Seems to defeat the purpose.

polster2 US
12/11/17 5:53 pm

All students groups recognized by the student governments of public flagship institutions are prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race. So, crazy as it may sound, people of all races would be welcome into the black engineers society, if such a group even exists.

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 6:15 pm

So, the university is clearly disenfranchising the Black Lies Matter crew for discriminating against non-blacks, right?

kscott516 EB rules
12/11/17 6:16 pm

So much for separation of church and state, huh?

Shouldn’t a member of any organization be expected to respect the org’s ideals? Otherwise it is nothing more than a group of people that meet.

polster2 US
12/11/17 6:17 pm

Think...To what discrimination are you referring?

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 6:30 pm

Polster ... does Black Lies Matter allow non-blacks attend all of their evens?

polster2 US
12/11/17 6:31 pm

Think...Yes, of course they do.

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 6:37 pm

Polster ... you’re wrong yet again!

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 6:42 pm

Polster ... so, if Black Lies Matter were to prevent non-blacks from attending their events, you’d agree that they should be banned by the universities, right?

polster2 US
12/11/17 6:45 pm

Think...Post the evidence that BLM have tried to exclude whites from their events. Also, I would agree that, if BLM tried to establish themselves as a student group at a university and they tried to exclude white students in the process, they should not be recognized by the student government as a student group at that university.

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 6:47 pm

Polster ... finally, you’ve learned how to answer the question!

I’ll await your denouncing of Black Lies Matter ...

www.philly.com/philly/columnists/jenice_armstrong/Black-Lives-Matter-blacks-only-meeting-policy-rankles-.html

polster2 US
12/11/17 6:58 pm

Think...BLM Philly is now representative of the entire movement?

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 7:09 pm

Polster ... thanks for confirming your hypocrisy.

polster2 US
12/11/17 7:16 pm

Think...No such hypocrisy exists on my part. BLM Philly is not representative of the movement as a whole. Swing and a miss for you.

Think Lovin Life
12/11/17 7:18 pm

Polster ... ha ha ... thanks for the good laugh!

polster2 US
12/11/17 7:50 pm

Think...Why do you think that BLM Philly is identical to BLM everywhere else?