bower8899 December 9th, 2017 8:38pm

Is it moral for a couple with children to get divorced?

ParaguasPato Columbus GA
12/13/17 12:20 am

Yes, but even more immoral to force them to stay together.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/11/17 1:50 pm

My parents should have divorced earlier than they did. All they did was argue and fight.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
12/10/17 11:57 am

My Parents divorced when I was2...it was the best thing theyve ever done for me.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
12/10/17 7:28 am

Depends on the situation. If it’s because they just can’t get along, that’s selfish. If it’s because there’s some abuse, cheating, etc - that’s reasonable.

ParaguasPato Columbus GA
12/13/17 12:21 am

My thoughts exactly. If you have a child, you have a responsibility to do your best to raise them right. That means having your spouse around to help if possible.

ctskapski x
12/10/17 6:20 am

It's not inherently moral or immoral, but it is almost never amoral.
It all depends on the circumstances under which, and the methods by which, the divorce takes place.

GrammarRocks
12/09/17 9:48 pm

Asking if it’s “moral” is an interesting choice of words. I think it depends on the maturity of the couple and their circumstances. Divorcing because you don’t want to work at it is an easy out, however alcoholism, abuse, infidelity, etc. are real issues, especially when one is unwilling to put the marriage as a higher priority. My my mother divorced my dad because of his alcoholism and abuse and I’m grateful she did. It was tough in the 60s but I think it’s always hard on divorced kids.

gluxford1 Arizona
12/09/17 8:23 pm

Generally speaking, it's not moral, but it's not immoral either. Some couples just shouldn't be together (my parents, for example, divorced when I was very young because my father was a deadbeat alcoholic who had quite the temper).

Rainey 633 Stag Trail Road
12/09/17 6:54 pm

My parents waited until I was out of the house to get a divorce. Worst decision ever.

Zach21 California
12/09/17 5:33 pm

It's certainly not immoral. There are several reasons why couples get divorced, and most of them that I can think of are not immoral.

MrsCrayonWax
12/09/17 5:10 pm

I’m not sure it can be boiled down to moral and immoral. It’s far more complicated.

Carcano Luke 10 19
12/09/17 4:41 pm

It depends on the situation. It's not a yes or no answer.

Carcano Luke 10 19
12/09/17 9:41 pm

I'd say that divorce is usually bad for the child, and therefore immoral, but there are certain situations where a divorce is at least neutral to the child

FarmerManE djent
12/09/17 4:29 pm

Couples that cannot function together but stay "because of the children" are not doing their kids any favors

political Georgia
12/09/17 4:08 pm

“For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the Lord, the God of Israel”

ronderman North Carolina
12/09/17 3:33 pm

WAY too many variables to answer this question. We do not live in a world of absolutes.

phalnx Ohio
12/09/17 3:28 pm

It's not moral. When you have kids, you think of them first, and yourselves second. No matter how amicably it's done, divorce is very hard on the kids. My wife had abandonment issues for a long time as a result of her dad divorcing her mom for another woman.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
12/09/17 3:15 pm

No. It might be sad but it’s not immoral

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
12/09/17 3:12 pm

No.....has nothing to do with morality, and has everything to do with circumstance (abuse, neglect).....

swervin Maryland
12/09/17 2:47 pm

No, that's nonsense. If two people clearly can't be married in a loving and trusting manner, it's better that they be divorced than to be miserable with each other.

bower8899 ...
12/09/17 2:51 pm

Thank you. I completely agree. I'm very glad my parents are divorced.

timeout Boston Strong
12/09/17 2:08 pm

It certainly isn’t immoral...if so I know a lot of people who are not. Nonsense!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/09/17 1:48 pm

No. Marriage, as God ordained it, is monogamous and for life. [and the other thing, but I won’t rub that in. ❤️]
God said in Malachi that He hates divorce, and it doesn’t get much clearer than that.

voc I am...what I am
12/09/17 2:37 pm

What about in the case of abuse by a spouse? Should a guy stay married to a woman who abuses him either mentally or physically?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/09/17 2:54 pm

God must want that child to be miserable.

MrMilkdud
12/09/17 3:12 pm

No, God wants parents to work through their problems and not do all the things that lead them to get a divorce. If you ask people who have been married for decades why they never got a divorce, it isn’t because they didn’t have the same problems divorced couples did- it’s because they found a way to work it out.