gluxford1 December 5th, 2017 6:02pm

A Denver bakery politely refused to make a cake for a gay wedding, citing religious reasons. The LGBT couple then went to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, who sued on their behalf. This case is now before the Supreme Court. Who do you side with?

otto Olean, NY
12/06/17 12:44 am

Why did they go to Civil Rights Commission? Why not go to a different bakery who would happily do it?

I would guess only because they felt the need to “make a point?” And a weak point, at that.

Ebola1 Florida
12/06/17 8:00 am

Sounds like a setup to me.

LadyBug237 Florida
12/05/17 11:10 pm

His business is his business. They can/should just take theirs some place else.

NDAmerican Florida
12/05/17 2:49 pm

When will it be decided?

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 2:57 pm

Not sure. The article didn’t say.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
12/05/17 5:10 pm

Argued today, the only certainty is it will be done before the end of the term in June.
All else depends on who is writing the opinion.

Ginsberg for example is famous for her speedy opinion writing (God forbid she be the one to write this case)

jrpacman Pensum iocus est
12/05/17 2:19 pm

What if they were asked to make a nazi flag cake and the bakery said no? Should they be forced to make it?

cowboy Here and There
12/05/17 2:09 pm

I side with the First Amendment. Not with Christian hating bigots that targeted Christian owned businesses.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
12/05/17 2:26 pm

I rarely agree with you, but in this case I do.

cowboy Here and There
12/05/17 2:27 pm

Awesome! ✌🏻

theNobamist Silicon Valley
12/05/17 2:08 pm

How do we know the couple didn't cause a ruckus and they were tossed out for that?

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/05/17 2:25 pm

Whoa. Only straight white makes can cause a ruckus and be refused service. 🙄

otto Olean, NY
12/06/17 12:49 am

Actually, because the baker himself flat-out said it was because of his Christian principles. And that point is moot, anyway. The baker reserves the right to serve or not to serve anyone he damn well pleases and for any reason he may have. Trade in America is and has always been based on voluntary transaction between 2 or more parties. If any of the parties doesn’t voluntarily partake in the transaction for any reason, they cannot be forced to. That’s how fascist societies operate.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
12/05/17 2:06 pm

Go to a bakery with rainbow flags and ask for a Trump Inauguration Anniversary cake.

Let's do it by the millions!

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/05/17 2:05 pm

The bakery. I am against forced labor.

goof02 Virginia
12/05/17 2:04 pm

I don’t think that the bakery is being bigoted necessarily, I just think they are misinterpreting the Bible. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that you can’t associate or do business with someone you consider a sinner, as we are all apparently sinners.

Just to clarify I’m not a Christian, although I used to be. I’m just stating my opinion based on my knowledge of the Bible.

WaffleBrainz Indiana
12/05/17 3:28 pm

thats not the point though.

the point is that they do not want to support what God has already told all of us is wrong.

goof02 Virginia
12/05/17 3:32 pm

They aren’t necessarily supporting it by baking them a cake. According to the Bible, you are a sinner just as they are sinners, so by that logic they shouldn’t be able to bake you a cake either. Turning them away does nothing to show God’s love, it does the opposite.

goof02 Virginia
12/05/17 3:35 pm

It would be different if this were a pastor being asked to marry a homosexual couple, because that requires the pastor to support their union. Simply providing a wedding cake does not require the baker to violate their beliefs.

Alcerus fascist
12/05/17 1:58 pm

The couple's overreaction is ridiculous. Just go to another bakery FFS.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/05/17 1:39 pm

You wouldn’t be able to deny a cake to someone because they were black and you were Alt-Right.

You are not your business. Save your bigotry for after closing time.

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 1:42 pm

This isn’t bigotry. He didn’t refuse to serve gay people either. He simply refused to make something specifically for the occasion of a gay wedding. Don’t be intellectually dishonest.

BlackC
12/05/17 1:52 pm

That’s a bullshit answer. If the baker hated tall people or blonde people would that be ok to embarrass them and not serve them?

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 1:56 pm

It’s not a bullshit answer. It’s a fact. He didn’t refuse to serve gay people. He refused to serve a gay wedding. There is a difference between refusing to serve a specific occasion and refusing to serve a specific group of people. Again, quit your intellectual dishonesty and make a sensible argument.

BlackC
12/06/17 4:07 pm

You are kidding right - you see a difference in discrimination between making a cake for a function vs a person ? So I guess this baker won’t make a cake for a cross burning but would make it for one kkk guy? Ridiculous troll response .

Jazzy5 USA
12/05/17 1:25 pm

If you are rejected by someone, do you go to the courts to sue that person.
No, you move on to someone that wants you..
Go to another bakery.

lilPhoenix The Phoenix Controversy
12/05/17 1:20 pm

If it’s for religious reasons then I’m with the bakery, all that aside no one should force labor onto someone else especially if it’s supporting something you don’t believe in.

Parke BlueLivesMatter
12/05/17 12:58 pm

I go with the bakery, the couple has lots of bakers to choose from, but they decide to go after the religious one, and makes a big deal about it when they ask for something they know that they don’t support.

smart1
12/05/17 12:50 pm

If baking a cake for a homosexual couple is endorsing homosexuality, isn’t voting for a child molester endorsing child molesters?

Ebola1 Florida
12/05/17 12:58 pm

Is the baker voting for a child molester also. Wow, I had no idea!

Zach21 California
12/05/17 12:35 pm

Go to another fucking bakery. It's not hard.

Flamingo47
12/05/17 12:34 pm

What part of the Bible says you can’t serve gay people?

Hogoke Constitution
12/05/17 12:37 pm

Who said they follow bible teachings?

smart1
12/05/17 12:15 pm

Don’t want to serve the public, don’t have a business. For example.......I own a bakery, a customer wants me to make a cake with crucifixes all over it, I decline because I’m an Atheist, the couple sues me, I claim my artistic talent and deeply held non-religious beliefs for my defense. Who do you support?

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 12:41 pm

I would support you in that case. But that isn’t what’s happening here.

CMChristian gone
12/05/17 12:03 pm

They have a right to practice their religious beliefs 1. 2. They were polite and didn't start any riots or anything. 3. Can't they gay couple get a cake somewhere else? Without suing the damn place?

outlaw393 01134
12/05/17 11:52 am

Businesses have the right to turn anyone down for any reason.

goof02 Virginia
12/05/17 3:39 pm

So you’re saying they should have the right to deny me service because I’m black?

If so, lynch yourself.

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 4:01 pm

Nobody said that, goof. There’s no need to be an asshole.

LadyBug237 Florida
12/05/17 11:16 pm

Businesses should have that right. I have red hair, if a business didn't want to serve me because of that then that would be their choice. Mine would be simple, leave their business and never look back.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
12/05/17 11:34 am

The baker is in the right. We shouldn’t ever be forced to violate a bonafide religious belief in order to be compliant with the law.

EarlyBird Portland
12/05/17 3:32 pm

Is this the same case we used to debate a few years ago?

Okie1967 The world is crazy
12/05/17 3:38 pm

No. This is the Colorado baker; not the Oregon baker. Same situation though.

EarlyBird Portland
12/05/17 3:41 pm

Gross. It makes me think this couple sought out a baker that wouldn’t serve them just for the attention. Surely they l’d heard about the Oregon case.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
12/05/17 3:46 pm

Such is the essence of the SJW.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
12/05/17 11:26 am

That's the beauty of the free market, it's supposed to be a consensual relationship where both parties benefit. Jack didn't believe damning his eternal soul to hell was worth the price of a cake, so he turned down their money. Why are they do intent on giving it to him? It's a private business he can and should do what he wants.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
12/05/17 11:29 am

If Anthony Kennedy kills religious liberty here it will shake the bedrock if this nation to its core.
I pray he retires soon, we can't take much more of the left making new rights out of thin air. He's destroying everything that is great about this nation.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/05/17 11:23 am

This baker did not refuse to serve gays. Instead they refused to decorate a cake in a way that celebrated gayness. I am sure that same gay couple would have had no problem buying a birthday cake from the same baker even if they had gone in there holding hands and kissing.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/05/17 11:26 am

I wonder... if I tried, could I find a cake decorator who would refuse to bake me a cake that had pictures of AR-15s all over it? I could be a millionaire.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/05/17 11:53 am

I could also have them write the following on a cake:

Leviticus 18:22 - Do not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination

MrMilkdud
12/05/17 11:19 am

The baker. He isn’t refusing to serve anyone. He’s just refusing specific projects that violate his conscience.
I’d support a gay baker’s right to refuse to make wedding cakes for straight couples, too.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/05/17 11:32 am

Funny we only hear about gays having trouble getting wedding cakes isn’t it. No other type of cake is ever affected.

MrMilkdud
12/05/17 12:10 pm

There are cases of gay bakeries refusing services- and in at least one case, the gay bakery sued the people making the request!

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 11:05 am

I side with the bakery for three reasons:
1. A business had the right to refuse service to any customer for any reason in the vast majority of cases.
2. The baker should not be forced by the courts to violate his religious beliefs as that would also volatile his first amendment rights.
3. The baker is an artist. The cakes are art and an example of freedom of expression, which is also protected by the first amendment.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/05/17 11:05 am

Absolutely the couple. It’s a matter of civil rights. It’s no different then refusing to serve a black couple, Islamic couple or Jewish couple. If they’re open to the public they should serve the public. If by some horrible coincidence the big three wins they should hang a sign on their window that they do not make wedding cakes for gay people. So people can not purchased from that bakery if they support gay rights!

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 11:08 am

Refusing to bake a cake is not a violation of their civil rights, but forcing the baker to violate his deeply-held religious convictions is. If this business won’t serve you, find another one to give your hard-earned cash to. That’s the beauty of capitalism. This isn’t the only bakery in Denver.

tipsyindian
12/05/17 11:10 am

The bakery does serve gays. The baker was simply uncomfortable using his artistic talents to design a cake specifically celebrating a gay marriage. Are you saying he should be compelled to?

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 11:11 am

Exactly right, CovfefeDealer.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/05/17 11:12 am

This user is currently being ignored

jarod California
12/05/17 11:05 am

Private businesses have a right to refuse service. The couple could've just found another bakery.

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 11:06 am

I agree 100%.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/05/17 11:05 am

This user is currently being ignored

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/05/17 11:06 am

A lot of bakeries well. I sometimes ask. I will not support someone who is against civil rights.

gluxford1 Arizona
12/05/17 11:09 am

The baker isn’t against civil rights. He just doesn’t believe in gay marriage.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter