Squidboy December 4th, 2017 3:48pm

β€œHe who oppresses the poor taunts and insults his Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

Louderthebetter
12/04/17 10:22 am

“He who is kind to the needy honors human beings.”

MrEdwin Mystery
12/04/17 10:37 am

Where’d you read that?

Louderthebetter
12/04/17 2:21 pm

I edited the Bible and wrote that myself.
I’m an atheist but believe in human beings common decency.

aj1545 Cat Lady
12/04/17 9:27 am

Im not religious but agree (and grew up religious, know the bible well). And knowing what I know I dont know how you could read it and not see.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/04/17 9:42 am

This user is currently being ignored

12/04/17 11:27 am

Jesus tells us to pay taxes....

aj1545 Cat Lady
12/04/17 11:29 am

“Give to Ceasar what is Ceaser’s”. Plus, ofc you dont steal. Youre supposed to want to give.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/04/17 11:31 am

This user is currently being ignored

12/04/17 11:36 am

Doesn't take a genius to understand the connection when Jesus says we are to take care of the poor and the weak and to pay taxes...But, if acting ignorant makes your conscience better, so be it....

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/04/17 12:34 pm

This user is currently being ignored

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 12:36 pm

“Give to Caesar what is his” was about fiat currency being owned by the state, not to be redistributed for welfare purposes. Jesus wants us to use our own resources to help the poor and needy. It wasn’t about paying taxes.

12/04/17 12:45 pm

If Jesus even existed, he was a hippie. He probably didn’t even have an opinion on taxes. The corrupt administrators who wrote the Bible...THEY are the ones that wrote the passages about giving money to the state.

aj1545 Cat Lady
12/04/17 12:49 pm

Coffee- you may be interested- have you heard of the book Zealot? Its a historical account of jesus. Apparently this man existed, they just only know certain tidbits. He was a p political guy according to what they know, according to them why he was crucified. Seen as a threat to rome.

12/04/17 12:54 pm

I haven’t no. But whatever it says, you have to take it with a grain of salt. It was 2000 years ago about a person. It’s not like a fossil you can examine.

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 1:11 pm

His opinion on taxes is in this verse. He said to pay the taxes. But it wasn’t about the welfare state. Jesus taught for us to help the poor independent of the govt.

12/04/17 3:08 pm

Jesus wants all of us to take care of the poor, that includes the government. Like I said, you can twist his message all you want just to give you a clean conscience for not having concern for the poor and weak all you want. You say Jesus wants us to live like he did, well he healed the sick without charging, so I guess that means healthcare should not be a "for profit" service....

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 4:02 pm

I’m not twisting anything. His message was for us to help the poor and needy under our own volition, not govt force. Nothing was to be done by force, which includes forcing a doctor to treat you (for free). Naturally a doctor may do so if he wishes. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention using the govt as the means for distributing healthcare or otherwise.

12/04/17 5:01 pm

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus say that the government should not either. Jesus tells everyone that it is important that we take care of the sick, poor and weak. He tells us to "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar". Caesar represents the govt so he is telling us to pay taxes. He also tells us to obey/follow the rules of the govt. Also, the government is "of the people, for the people, by the people", so it is just an extension of the people. So, when Jesus calls for all people to take care of the sick, the poor and the weak and to obey and pay taxes, this means the govt. Trying to make an argument otherwise is only because you could care less about the sick, the poor and the weak. Is it better that people do it voluntarily, maybe, but Jesus knew that most people wouldn't, that's why he tells us to pay taxes and follow the rule of government....

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 7:35 pm

Yes, he tells us to render unto Caesar what is his because the currency had his picture on it. Caesar was the govt but Jesus did not agree with everything the govt did which is why he flipped over the tables when the money changers were in the Temple. Paying taxes then had nothing to do with welfare. Jesus taught for us to help the poor on our own. You’re not understanding the message if you think He supports the govt’s taxation where they return about 10-20% of what’s taken. Also, you paying taxes, even those that funds that go towards welfare, you don’t get credit from Him for that. It has to be of your own volition and love and care for others.

12/04/17 7:49 pm

I freely give on my own and until there are enough that do to help those that Jesus calls us to help, I will support our government collecting taxes for the betterment of society as a whole, not just what's best for ME... I believe that taking all of Jesus's teachings together as a whole he would most definitely be for the govt (which is just an extension of the people) also taking care of the least of HIS people. With that I will bid you good night...

12/04/17 8:00 pm

Also, Jesus didn't turn over the tables because he was against taxes, he was upset that capitalist pigs were using a house of worship to make a profit.... Good night...

12/04/17 8:01 pm

Lol @ trying to turn a possibly fictional character into a communist hero to fit your narrative. What a vivid imagination

12/04/17 8:07 pm

Fictional or not doesn't change the facts of the words and story....

12/04/17 8:34 pm

A story written to scam money off people that some internet person is using for a communist narrative 2000 years later

kscott516 EB rules
12/05/17 4:41 am

I didn’t say Jesus was against taxes. Clearly He wasn’t considering he said render unto Caesar what is his. It was about taking care of the needy under your own volition, not by force. There are good people that would do more to help people if they weren’t taxed so heavily. If taxes were a lot lower then people could do their share by helping the poor on their own.

Even atheistic scholars agree that Jesus was a real historical figure. Even plenty that agree that the stories are true and that the disciples believed He was who He said He was. There’s really no doubt He was considering they gained nothing for the strong faith they had and kept and literally died for. Yes, many religions have perverted the Bible for their own monetary gain. The Bible says that would happen and it did. That doesn’t discount the KJV account.

12/05/17 6:26 am

People "could" give more. And if pigs had wings they "could" fly. Unfortunately it has never happened and never will. Therefore, as an extension of the people, it is the govt's biblical and moral obligation to do what the people will not do.....

kscott516 EB rules
12/05/17 8:03 am

That’s an ignorant and false generalization. I know lots of people, including myself, that help the poor all the time.

The govt has no biblical obligation. It’s not in the Bible anywhere.

12/05/17 9:14 am

I also know lots of people that help the poor including myself, but any fool can see that it isn't and never will be enough. So you believe that people should just suffer and struggle and get sick and die and I don't. So, we will just have to agree to disagree. Have a good day....

12/05/17 10:17 am

“So you believe that people should just suffer and struggle and get sick and die and I don't.”

*posts strawman argument, runs away*

Good job coward πŸ˜‚

12/05/17 10:20 am

Didn't run away still here with same beliefs.

kscott516 EB rules
12/05/17 10:27 am

I was very clear that I think people should help the needy and that I do that often. The argument was simply about what Jesus taught and the role of govt.

12/05/17 10:37 am

Exactly, and if I'm not mistaken you agreed that Jesus called us to both pay taxes and help the needy. So, sense the govt is right in collecting taxes and this country is supposedly based on Christian beliefs, then the govt not only has the right to use a portion of those taxes to help the needy, but a biblical and moral responsibility to do so. Or am I wrong and you actually believe that Jesus was wrong in telling us to pay taxes and the govt doesn't have a right to collect taxes?

kscott516 EB rules
12/05/17 11:08 am

Let me simplify. Does the govt use all taxes to help the needy? How about most?

12/05/17 11:14 am

Simple answer.....no...

Ebola1 Florida
12/04/17 9:09 am

Who would disagree with that?

12/04/17 9:51 am

I disagree with it because I’m an atheist πŸ™‚

MrsCrayonWax
12/04/17 9:58 am

Everyone who downvoted the poll and this guy πŸ‘†πŸΌand a few flat earthers.

12/04/17 10:02 am

A few? Are they multiplying?

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/04/17 10:30 am

This user is currently being ignored

MrsCrayonWax
12/04/17 12:17 pm

Scotty isn’t alone. @KScott615 ballpark. How many other flat earthers are present.

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 12:37 pm

Why would I disagree? πŸ˜³πŸ€” I’m a Christian, of course I agree.

ThatOneDogGuy Far Far Away
12/04/17 9:00 am

Too bad modern republicans are trying to cut social security...

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 9:19 am

God wants us to help people directly, not through govt taxation.

ThatOneDogGuy Far Far Away
12/04/17 9:27 am

How do you know what god wants?

kscott516 EB rules
12/04/17 9:28 am

It’s in the Bible

snagglepuss Story Time
12/04/17 9:28 am

He doesn’t

12/04/17 10:00 am

If social security is so great, why is the money forcibly taken on threat of imprisonment?

Andrew99911 Where is the Source
12/04/17 12:46 pm

If the military is so great, why is their funding forcibly taken on threat of imprisonment?

Weird how this argument doesn’t work for so many other government funding divisions. Isn’t it?

lendluke iowa
12/04/17 12:47 pm

God gave us the freedom to spend our resources however we want, so anyone who says it is God's will to forcibly redistribute money is not being honest to themselves or others. We should instead voluntarily give to those in need.

Stealing other people's money a sin, even if you give it away.

12/04/17 12:52 pm

The difference is if you made both optional, people would still fund the military. They wouldn’t fund the Ponzi scheme

ThatOneDogGuy Far Far Away
12/04/17 1:47 pm

You mean taxes? What about police officers? You aren't going to give them money? Or firemen? No money for them either? It's threat of imprisonment or give TEM money too.

12/04/17 1:52 pm

Huh? Did you even read what I wrote? No one is saying get rid of taxes

ThatOneDogGuy Far Far Away
12/04/17 1:55 pm

You are going off about how god is against stealing money and giving it to other places, but that is all that taxes are, and would you rather it go to something good? Or a war budget that creates things we never use, and are basically worthless, because it is old technology?

Andrew99911 Where is the Source
12/04/17 6:52 pm

My point was that you can take any branch of the government or any service they provide and say “they’re forcibly taking this on threat of imprisonment”. Inherently, by arguing that social security is bad because the government is taking your money away, you argue against the fundamental theorem behind taxes.

So yes, you’re arguing against taxes.

Obviously we need taxes for order (refer to the social contract), and by our government’s power, social security is a expenditure that the government uses taxes for. That doesn’t mean it’s good or bad, it’s just what the government has done.

A better argument would attack the ideas of social security, not the ideas of taxation.

12/04/17 6:56 pm

You really need to do a better job of reading people’s comments before responding

First you thought I was arguing against taxes, then you thought I was arguing for god. You’re wrong on both accounts

12/04/17 6:57 pm

Taxes are necessary.

Forcing people to contribute to a Ponzi scheme is not.

ThatOneDogGuy Far Far Away
12/05/17 9:09 am

I asked about how that first guy knew what god wanted, and now I'm here talking to you about taxes, and how you were arguing against them.

12/05/17 10:15 am

Nice try. You were responding directly to me and saying I said something about god

12/05/17 10:16 am

The last reply from someone you disagree with was Luke and you were responding to my posts after that

Cringe deflection

Andrew99911 Where is the Source
12/05/17 10:52 am

Looks like you guys are having a useless argument about arguing instead of the question.

I’ll leave y’all to that.

12/05/17 11:30 am

Just pointing out the cringe attempts at strawman and deflection. It’s hard to have a discussion when the other person has no intellectual integrity