Show Of Hands December 2nd, 2017 8:16am

As part of their tax plan, Senate Republicans have voted to open parts of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for drilling. Good news?

Mister008
12/08/17 5:41 pm

Boo! The Republicans are bad enough for not believing in climate change, but now doing something that will cause it to get worse? New low!

PS: Democrats don’t make me happy with supporting fracking, either.

GlockMan1 Alabama
12/04/17 3:18 pm

It’s not just about drilling. It allows much more development and usage by the American people.

Kahunahammer west
12/04/17 12:11 am

How much more oil do we need? Saudi will always control the price

roberbaran
12/03/17 3:37 pm

We need to use less oil, not more. We need more renewables, and leave the carbon in the ground.

obamasuxx
12/08/17 1:06 am

When those pie in the sky renewables give us enough energy as oil, we’ll talk.

willsamuel Alaska
12/03/17 11:40 am

I live in Alaska, I'm a wilderness trek guide and hunting guide... I've been to the wildlife refuge and the area is bigger than many of the states on the east coast. No joke it takes about 25 hours of straight driving to get from the bottom to the top of Alaska. About 100 people a year go into the refuge, it's not a big deal. The drilling is well worth the revenue

drself Gated Community
12/03/17 8:33 am

Drill baby, drill.

RNJen Bay Area USA
12/03/17 10:04 am

Yes just destroy the planet cuz....erm... hedonism?

drself Gated Community
12/03/17 4:32 pm

Time to park your car and turn off your electricity.
I have always said build nuclear power plants, if you want to replace oil.

obamasuxx
12/08/17 1:08 am

This is exactly it. Nuclear is the only power source better than oil. If it’s good enough for the socialists in France, it’s good enough for us here.

drself Gated Community
12/10/17 7:42 am

Not that want more government, but I’ve always said that we should have a Navy Corp of Engineers, like the ACE. Let the Navy oversee all Nuclear power plants. The Navy has been running nuclear plants for over 50 years.

lightsabr2 The Big Sky
12/03/17 8:07 am

I’m fine with drilling. But since I call out the DNC for earmarking it in like this, I also have to call out the GOP.

mrscheisskopf2 Kentucky
12/03/17 1:02 am

The point of public lands is to not be used in this way

JoeRoberts Maryland
12/02/17 10:20 pm

Ok with drilling. Don't like it tucked in tax bill.

jDinOR Oregon
12/02/17 8:15 pm

But you morons keep voting these flock’r’s in..

“Blind leading the blind..”

savalordtester
12/02/17 7:05 pm

When Obama was a out to leave office he declared a bunch of land as national parks, so trump is just undoing some of that

mrscheisskopf2 Kentucky
12/03/17 1:01 am

A lot of presidents mark off public lands as they leave office, it's not just Obama

kanji401 SoCal
12/02/17 4:28 pm

One more reason why our planet is doomed.

craftyAg Fraggle Rock
12/02/17 4:02 pm

I would rather tap every natural reserve we have than ever do business with Saudi Arabia ever again. These people throw gays off of roofs and stone women but disturbing a few moose offends you more?!

EarlyBird Portland
12/02/17 2:26 pm

Another disappointment.

anniepoops wisco fever
12/02/17 12:52 pm

🤦🏻‍♀️

76ersfan69 New Jersey
12/02/17 12:44 pm

I’m for trump but this is disgusting. Ronald Reagan said the two most important thing for our country if that the environment and country is safe

12/02/17 11:48 am

Tree huggers oppose.
Those that want the economy to thrive, approve.
We have domestic oil. USE IT!

christianm987 Nipomo, CA
12/02/17 10:39 pm

The economy could thrive for generations to come by investing in green renewable energy which will allow for lots of jobs instead of hurting our one and only planet that our grandchildren will once live on. Call me a tree hugger liberal all you want, I just look at the facts. Much respect for you for voicing your opinion, but please do some research.

12/03/17 4:53 am

I think it’s cute that you think I don’t research.

ScenarioNations California
12/03/17 9:52 am

I think it's cute how you think that's a rebuttal lmao

12/03/17 9:55 am

Perhaps even cuter that a couple of talking points counts as a rebuttal.

ScenarioNations California
12/03/17 9:57 am

Are you really arguing that renewable energy isn't really renewable?

12/03/17 10:31 am

Is that a serious question? Please say no and say you’re being sarcastic.

christianm987 Nipomo, CA
12/03/17 11:26 am

Ptellini I’m waiting for your rebuttal lol. Tell me how oil is better than renewable energy.

12/03/17 11:35 am

It is cheaper to implement and maintain. I can tell you that right off.

12/03/17 11:39 am

Let the free market choose.

roberbaran
12/03/17 3:40 pm

The only reason oil is cheaper than solar and wind is because the oil companies are subsidized by governments the world over. If they had to pay for land and the cost of their own pipelines they would all be buying solar panels.

12/03/17 3:44 pm

It’s cheaper, so I stick with it.

RNJen Bay Area USA
12/03/17 7:17 pm

It’s all about money to some people. Never see the big picture. Our planet and our human lives are much more rich than we know. But we reduce ourselves to greed and a race for more. We will kill our selves. Thanks “conservatives” thanks for not conserving what is important

76ersfan69 New Jersey
12/03/17 9:44 pm

I agree that opening this drilling would ruin the environment and I’m totally against it. But using our oil and coal is better than solar because solar is expensive and installed once for safety, while coal and oil benefits the economy, gives people jobs, and as long as they follow regulations to not emit to much pollution then it helps the environment and economy

12/04/17 4:29 am

Wow, you talk about conservatives like they’re evil. We are not for destroying the environment. We are for economic prosperity and benefiting the individual. I am all for proper regulations for oil and coal. Unfortunately, I see liberals practically trying to regulate oil and coal out of existence, and that’s not practical or realistic.

RNJen Bay Area USA
12/04/17 4:44 am

76, coal does no good for the environment or for jobs. There are plenty of documentaries and even coal plant owners that have stated that coal provides no jobs anymore. It is all automated. Coal power is now irrelevant, bad for the environment, and even if there were workers, it was bad for them to mine. It’s a bad idea altogether. Oil has caused war for one, is bad for the environment, ruins the earth where it is being drilled for a very long time, and is finite. We need to spend our time and resources developing a new way of life. Developing new city structures, new transportation. The oil companies have been ruling over us for too long. Vote now to change our path

RNJen Bay Area USA
12/04/17 4:46 am

Ptelli- I don’t think that they are inherently evil, I just think that they do evil things not realizing it.

12/04/17 5:17 am

I have no problem with changing energy sources, but it has to make sense and not done by force.

12/04/17 5:18 am

I could say that same about liberals.

76ersfan69 New Jersey
12/06/17 5:01 am

I’m conservative and hate these liberals for what they believe :government controlling everything, open borders, let in Muslims from everywhere, and keep these bad trade deals. I just believe we should balance economy and environment

RNJen Bay Area USA
12/06/17 10:34 am

76, you need government oversight. Liberals and conservative go way to far with it though. We do need to regulate things better though. Also, hate is a strong word.

76ersfan69 New Jersey
12/07/17 11:02 am

Sorry but I HATE how liberals act- all for Muslims power, anti Christian and anti Jewish, pro open border. They don’t think before they speak: “yeah trump impeachment 2017!!! Worst prez ever” the only thing I don’t agree with trump is that hopefully he helps middle and lower class more not rich asses. 🇺🇸 but he’s for American first and American rights that are founding fathers made for us! #godbless

12/07/17 11:03 am

His tax plan is actually to help the middle and lower classes. You should check out the details.

ScenarioNations California
12/07/17 11:05 am

I don't believe that that's what the Congressional Budget Office claims about the tax plan.

12/07/17 11:06 am

I’m looking around to see who gives a crap what you believe.

12/07/17 11:12 am

Well I’m glad we can count on the Communist news network.

12/07/17 11:13 am

Do you want to know why you’re not ignore?
It’s because you entertain me.

ScenarioNations California
12/07/17 11:13 am

Ad hominem, you failed to address their argument and instead resulted to name calling. Try again.

ScenarioNations California
12/07/17 11:15 am

That's also practically an ad hominem. Try again.

12/07/17 11:17 am

I don’t care. I have tried having a serious discussion with you numerous times in the past. It is pointless with you.
You are entertainment at this point.

ScenarioNations California
12/07/17 11:18 am

Notice how I used two sources and you use insults. That shows who's the serious one here mate and the one who isn't.

12/07/17 11:20 am

It sounds like your diaper is filling up.
Hmmm either that or you have a memory issue or a reading comprehension issue.
Keep going liberal! Lol

ScenarioNations California
12/07/17 7:26 pm

Keep going dumbass, you claim I'm wrong and can't even address either of the articles I linked lmfao, no wonder why everyone I've seen you talk to think you're a partisan bitch boy! Keep going Donald's dick rider, you're giving me free entertainment lmfao!

12/08/17 4:13 am

Thank you so much for the entertainment. And do you wonder why I don’t take you seriously LOL

12/08/17 5:16 am

I have actually had discussions with various people that I don’t agree with and they don’t act like an ignorant fool like you.
There are, of course, people that do act like you that are on my entertainment list.

PrinceOberyn Vive LEmpereur
12/02/17 11:15 am

If we ever go batshit insane, truly insane, my fellow liberals my vote for arbitrarily executing senators is now drowning them with fossil fuels and a funnel.

voc I am...what I am
12/02/17 10:49 am

Holy fuck what’s wrong with these people???

mpurple oh no. trump won.
12/02/17 10:28 am

We don’t even need more oil. This is disgraceful.

MrWalrus Undergrid
12/02/17 11:45 am

If people want wind turbines we need more oil.

craftyAg Fraggle Rock
12/02/17 4:03 pm

We need more domestic oil. Yes, yes we do.

EwokMarco
12/02/17 9:55 am

"Located in northern Alaska, the refuge is remarkably wild and primitive, a critical home to polar bears, caribou, wolves, muskoxen, and dozens of bird species. With oil exploration and development, the area would become the site of vast networks of roads, pipelines, and noisy machinery."

Roosevelt said the destruction of wilderness is vandalism.

Zach21 California
12/02/17 9:47 am

No, I'm not a fan of this.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/02/17 9:50 pm

Because there’s no legitimate “why not.” This huge repository of energy resources can be tapped and utilized with minimal impact upon the vast unpopulated wilderness surrounding it.

polarized Tennessee
12/02/17 10:04 pm

I see no need to drill beautiful and delicate lands in our modern age. Some ecosystems should be left alone due to their fragile state and this is one of them. This is simply a move to satisfy the almighty dollar and not the almighty earth. I still can't figure out what kind of Christian would want to see our one and only earth be raped for such at such a petty cost. But then again, you have always baffled me with your perplexing ideology. Peace.

IEatzCookies Alderaan
12/02/17 9:27 am

We don't even need these resources. What's the fucking point?

craftyAg Fraggle Rock
12/02/17 4:03 pm

Energy independence from middle eastern countries. Why is that a bad thing?

IEatzCookies Alderaan
12/02/17 9:07 pm

Like there's not other sources of energy, ie electricity?

craftyAg Fraggle Rock
12/03/17 8:35 am

Did you really just say electricity is an alternative to fossil fuel?! Electricity doesn’t generate itself. It is produced in power plants run by...wait for it...FOSSIL FUELS. When my power goes out in my house, I use an electric generator than runs on...gasoline! Wow. Just...wow.

ScenarioNations California
12/03/17 10:12 am

While energy independence is important, so is finding renewable sources.

craftyAg Fraggle Rock
12/03/17 4:29 pm

I don’t disagree. But we haven’t “found” a viable, long-term renewable resource that can power us on the massive scale that we need. And then there’s the problem of replacing infrastructure. This is a two, three decade job, at least. While we are developing alternatives, we need to be energy independent with what we use now.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/02/17 8:53 am

Pandering to an ignorant base by propping up antiquated fuels. How are those 19 coal jobs working out? Changing the world or even Appalachia?

I’d laugh if I wasn’t crying.

rambo088 kansas
12/02/17 9:41 am

Antiquated? Lmao

MrWalrus Undergrid
12/02/17 11:47 am

In order to have wind turbines we need oil. In order to have electric vehicles we need coal. Why? Because people don’t want nuclear energy.

rambo088 kansas
12/02/17 1:41 pm

Wind turbines aren't that great unless you have a lot of wind

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
12/02/17 8:51 am

It's been my experience that most people cannot identify ANWR on a map (even a map of Alaska), nor know what the acronym stands for, nor could explain why that NWR is more in need of "protection" than others.
Make an argument, fine, but please make it an educated one.

Alaskans, what do you think?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/02/17 9:40 am

Well, you are wrong in this case. And no one is arguing that it needs more protection than others, It’s just in better shape than most of the other NWR’s whose ecosystems have been already compromised.

Are you in environmental scientist?

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
12/02/17 9:53 am

Well, if you mean I am wrong in your case (that you know where ANWR is, and why it's different), then that may be so. Still, I'm baffled by the number of folks who see a picture of a polar bear and form an opinion. I didn't say it wasn't worth protecting (I guess you missed that part)...I just question folks' actual understanding when they vote.

And as much as I know you were trying to be coy with your "are you an environmental scientist?" comment (and therefore am loathed to respond), I never claimed to be one. I'm an Alaskan, a degreed professional, very involved in state and local politics, and have valid and relevant opinions on the topic. You may too, but I don't need to slight yours to have mine.

Again, curious to know of Alaskan's opinions too: anyone?

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
12/03/17 9:11 am

I suppose you think I can send telepathic messages to the few Alaskan folks participating on SOH. Haven’t quite got that power. Bummer.

But I see you couldn’t resist a snarky response. Classic suppressed move...And rings eerily true of my response to your behavior on the ACA thread yesterday. You really do always believe you’re the smartest (and most worthy) cat in the joint, don’t you?

stryk55
12/02/17 8:02 am

Fossil fuel is not the future...this is like investing big in steam engines the year Henry ford produces the first model T...

rons screw politicians
12/02/17 8:45 am

But it’s the now and most likely for many years to come.

rambo088 kansas
12/02/17 9:43 am

Good luck finding a tesla that can move several tons efficiently

MrWalrus Undergrid
12/02/17 11:48 am

Nuclear power is the future

rons screw politicians
12/02/17 12:09 pm

Ram, Elon Musk diverted attention from his inability to product 1500 C class cars (made 280) by unveiling his 18 wheeler and a $200k sports car. The truck is a tractor trailer with a 500 mile range. Maybe available in 2019.

timeout Boston Strong
12/02/17 7:46 am

There are certain areas on the globe that we shouldn’t touch.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/02/17 7:41 am

Good, but can't stand bills having all the different things. Make them shorter and about 1 primary item

cowboy Here and There
12/02/17 7:32 am

They have Nikola Tesla’s plans. What is the real reason for this shit?

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
12/02/17 7:29 am

Hahaha you tree-huggers are so delusional. From a national defense standpoint, I would much rather drill for our own oil as opposed to sending any more money to the world's biggest exporter of terrorism and fundamentalist Islam.

craftyAg Fraggle Rock
12/02/17 4:06 pm

It’s funny how the tree huggers claim to care about human rights, but think we shouldn’t have our own domestic oil reserves so we can stop funding countries where they regularly execute women and gays for being women and gays. Completely delusion.

Obvious101 MO
12/03/17 9:57 am

It’s a world market. That oil will not end up in any state other than Alaska. The big multinational corporations, especially oil, are, in many ways more powerful than any government, USA included. The passage of this amendment is a suggestion of it.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/02/17 7:05 am

Excellent news. It’s absolutely disgusting that spiteful, mean-spirited politicians closed it off in the first place.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/02/17 7:05 am

Yes, if you don’t like it, go hug a🌲tree or kiss a 🦌Elk, if it makes you feel better❗️But this won’t hurt either of them‼️

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/02/17 8:51 am

Your lack of scientific knowledge is astounding.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/02/17 8:56 am

Your lack of commonsense & actual working knowledge is also‼️

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/02/17 8:57 am

“Commonsense“ is just Alt-Right code for anti-intellectualism.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/02/17 9:22 am

No, commonsense❓, mine is from working for 36yrs for a Energy Corp. I was one those “evil people”, who have safely, economically, kept this Countries energy flowing, efficiently, effectively, though virtually unnoticed or appreciated, by you & other ignorant people. In my day I’ve done numerous environmental impact studies, with safety, triple redundancy planning, to insure public & environmental safety❗️When you Screwup, it’s aw💩🤭 ! If we did, things might💥🔥blowup & people could be injured or killed❗️Today the same people are doing everything, every day, humanly possible to insure public & environmental safety‼️

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/02/17 5:53 pm

That’s a really sweet story and thank you for your service.

Now let’s move to the 21st century and start treating energy production and environmental degradation as separate things. Or are you advocating oxen as a viable energy supply too?

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/02/17 7:46 pm

Oxen would produce too much to methane, to suit a environmental sycophant like you !

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/02/17 10:07 pm

Oh, I knew that already, but figured you must love bullshît so much...

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/03/17 5:48 am

I must ❤️🐂💩to be wasting my time on a🐂💩’er like you😀❗️

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/03/17 11:51 am

Yep, predictable🔮for both of us, my😅sense of humor & your😡arrogant angst❗️

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/03/17 1:02 pm

Arrogant angst. I’m going to use that.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/03/17 7:35 pm

your very adept at it❗️

EwokMarco
12/02/17 6:41 am

The fossil fuel industry is getting the use of OUR federal land at the same tax rate they've been paying since the 1920s. These billionaires own our elected officials. Sad.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/02/17 7:10 am

The federal government owns the land in question, not you.

EwokMarco
12/02/17 9:38 am

They are called public lands because we own them and our tax dollars manage the land.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/02/17 3:48 pm

Nope, the federal government owns them. You do not.

Obvious101 MO
12/03/17 10:02 am

Liberty: you can say it again but it is the same dumb statement. The people are the federal government.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/03/17 5:54 pm

What people? “The people” are any organization. That said, there are no outstanding shares (pieces) of the federal government which you own. You have no connection to it.

PepsiGuy Gave up Pepsi for Lent
12/02/17 6:00 am

WE ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE TO THRIVE ON A PLANET! WE PROTECT OT FOR A REASON! YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!

Malekithe Hades
12/02/17 7:32 am

How does this prevent us from thriving?

rons screw politicians
12/02/17 8:47 am

Go Amish! Start now to save the planet!

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
12/02/17 2:30 pm

Easy there PepsiGuy, you doing to pop your bottle cap & blow your mind😡🤬🤯

Malekithe Hades
12/02/17 2:31 pm

He is all fizz

Jazzy5 USA
12/02/17 5:42 am

Not a fan of this.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
12/02/17 5:22 am

No....we already have more oil than we know what to do with. Plus....it costs over $80 a barrel to extract there.....hope you like $5 a gallon gas.

rons screw politicians
12/02/17 3:44 pm

Not long ago we were running out of the stuff. But as soon as Tesla finally builds the workers car, and not the rich mans car I’ll get it.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
12/02/17 4:37 pm

Fracking changed everything. The model 3 is your car. My daughter drives a Nissan Leaf.....she’s never going back

rons screw politicians
12/02/17 6:21 pm

My Subaru Outbacks are fine. I need an SUV are a requirement.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
12/02/17 8:08 pm

You crack me up. The last time has hit $5 a gallon Bush was in office. The fracking boom happened under obama. It may have been a coincidence.....but track the price of gas over the last 20 years adjusted for inflation.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
12/02/17 4:35 am

No. What happened to the North Dakota drilling boom? And what about alternative energy and nuclear? Explore all options and leave Alaska alone.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/02/17 7:09 am

You can extract it from more than one place at a time...

vawade15 Da UP
12/02/17 3:57 am

Ought to be illegal to include things so outside the scope of the bill at large.

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
12/02/17 8:38 am

You would be very disappointed if you read most (final) legislation. No such thing anymore as a "clean" bill...whether at the state or federal level.

phalnx Ohio
12/02/17 3:19 am

Why are we still drilling?! We've got more than enough oil already, and we're getting off of it and going electric eventually anyway.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/02/17 7:09 am

To lower prices which makes people’s lives better.

Also, how do think hay electricity gets made? Haha

Obvious101 MO
12/03/17 10:08 am

It is the main job of corporations to produce income for shareholders. It is not their job to protect the environment or the lives of people. A few are responsible but most not unless forced to be by government regulations. Just the way it is.

phalnx Ohio
12/03/17 10:47 am

Which is why regulations can be a very good thing!

Liberty 4,032,064
12/03/17 5:58 pm

“Regulations” are just moats for established and entrenched companies to benefit from political connections. You’re only kidding yourself if you think otherwise. They limit competition so prices can be raised.

NotQuiteWhite Earth
12/02/17 2:31 am

Are you fucking kidding me?

finalfr0ntier
12/02/17 2:20 am

Classic shortsighted republican money making scheme, it’s always oil and non-renewables

smartfart Florida
12/02/17 4:36 am

Gotta make the corporate donors happy though!