jarod December 1st, 2017 11:06pm

"Teenager's lives do have stress, but not to the extent that most people think. If they are organized and manage their time well, their lives will be relatively easy."

lcamino Florida and Georgia
12/01/17 7:00 pm

That might be true for some teens, but it’s also a time of peer pressure and wanting to fit in. If you are shy, uncoordinated, learning disabled, or unattractive, high school can be rough.

Alcerus fascist
12/01/17 6:53 pm

I disagree. Being well-organized is not gonna stop other kids from picking on them or declaring them outcasts, which is a major cause for childhood depression. I think it's more important for a kid to understand that other people are idiots who will say bad things to them. In other words, if they had thicker skin they'd experience depression a lot less often.

EarlyBird Portland
12/01/17 6:28 pm

Good poll, Jarod.

jarod California
12/01/17 6:45 pm

Uberexciter Tennessee
12/01/17 6:17 pm

I wish I only had the problems that caused my stress as a teenager now. They were quite trivial in retrospect. Such a big deal at the time.

orgblu10 Shamerica
12/01/17 5:53 pm

I've got two teenagers and a 20-year-old, and I don't consider their lives easy. It seems to be a constant series of adjustments and challenges, each with consequences if not executed properly. Happy for you if you have an easy life, but I think you're in the minority.

jarod California
12/01/17 5:57 pm

I don't have an "easy" life. The question acknowledges that teenagers do have stress, but many people exaggerate it. Most stresses are things that teenagers can control.

jlong105 Indiana
12/01/17 5:33 pm

It’s different for every individual. The problem with teens and stress today is the constant connectivity. Back in my day, you went home when sick of dealing with outside stressors. Teens today aren’t educated in the importance of logging off life for a bit.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/01/17 5:23 pm

Agreed. When you look back on it, teenagers lives are simple

EarlyBird Portland
12/01/17 6:08 pm

Oh, no, no, no, my dear friend. Teen years were very stressful. Once you have a clear career path, everything falls into place.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/01/17 6:23 pm

The only stresses as a teenager were a dad that was an asshole, and in love with someone I couldn't have.

EarlyBird Portland
12/01/17 6:27 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your dad.
Teen love and heartbreak are part of teen stress. At least they were for me. So, so, painful.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/01/17 6:31 pm

Oh it was stressful, 20 years later I still have dreams about her on occasion. But nothing compared to the stress of marriage.

cherry111
12/01/17 5:09 pm

My teenage years were the most stressful I’ve had. Puberty, education, not knowing the direction your future will take... very stressful.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/01/17 4:22 pm

I'd like to think so. I'm 19, so I suppose things could take a drastic turn, but life's been pretty easy so far.

Of course, that's just me, but most of my friends are doing alright, overall.

mitchman399 Oregon
12/01/17 4:53 pm

It only gets worse from here, buddy.

Kamden popular revolt
12/01/17 4:09 pm

Eh puberty takes a helluva toll on a young mind, leaning disagree.

jarod California
12/01/17 4:07 pm

This was a topic we debated in my class. Only 5 people agreed with this statement (including me, and the rest of the 30 kids disagreed.