MediaBlackout November 30th, 2017 2:39am

Tinnitus is a disorder where a person hears a ringing/buzzing sound for a long period of time usually extending past days/months/years. It is estimated 50 million Americans have it. Do you have tinnitus?

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
11/30/17 8:25 am

I recently developed a mild case of static clicks in my right ear. I don't notice them during the day but do so at bedtime. I have become accustomed to them and am able to sleep.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/29/17 11:22 pm

I have for as long as I can remember. Now, it’s the worst it’s ever been and seriously affects my hearing. Meneire’s Disease doesn’t help any, either.

abusara i drink and i know things
11/30/17 6:51 am

Agree. I'm in the same boat with ya Wert.

Maryelizabeth
11/29/17 9:51 pm

I’ve had it for at least 5 years maybe longer. Just have gotten use to it. I also have to use Aleve a lot and that worsens the effect of the ringing in my ear.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/29/17 9:06 pm

It’s a by product of my service in the navy as a sonar technician

abusara i drink and i know things
11/30/17 6:51 am

Jet engine noise and weapons fire for me.

dale41 Lets play two
11/29/17 8:49 pm

my guess is I've gotten it from my many concussions.

Gungnir Asator
11/29/17 8:37 pm

Yes, I spend a lot of time around noisy machinery.

Alcerus fascist
11/29/17 8:30 pm

Yeah I got in in my left ear. I got it from shooting 250 rounds out of a bullpup rifle without earpro. Which infuriated me because it was one month before my contract ended and I had already gone through final medical screening. You'd think I'd get it from firing hundreds of tank rounds but noooo

crazyjane New Jersey
11/29/17 8:00 pm

No, but my dad has had it many years

asia
11/29/17 7:54 pm

I've dealt with it for about 40+ years. It got to the point that I didn't notice anymore but then it came up in a conversation 2-3 years ago and now I am cognizant of it most of the time.

MediaBlackout Carry on, Carry on.
11/29/17 7:49 pm

I have lived with tinnitus my whole life. I have never been able to experience the sound of complete silence. I still remember the day when I found out it wasn’t normal to hear ringing in my ears every second of my life.

It is known to cause depression, insomnia and shrinkage in the area of the brain that recognizes “bad sounds.”

To put it in laymen’s terms tinnitus occurs during hearing loss. When someone goes through hearing loss, the little hairs that sense sound die leaving small physical gaps to which your ears will fill with nerves. Those nerves will either adapt correctly to your hearing, or it will continuously match the hearing pitch that you lost which causes tinnitus.

MediaBlackout Carry on, Carry on.
11/29/17 9:30 pm

For many people it is, but since I’ve had it all my life i’ve adapted to it and never really had problems. Though at times the ringing is overwhelming in complete silence, but turning on a fan to kill the silence helps alleviate the ringing.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/29/17 11:26 pm

I find white noise or other ambient noise like thunderstorm, ocean, crickets, etc helps. But lately mine has gotten so bad even that doesn’t completely mask it. It often keeps me awake.