LibArtie November 29th, 2017 2:03am

Are organic fruits and vegetables more healthful than other produce?

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/29/17 7:47 am

@susanr mentioned this already, but certain foods are more prone to absorbing pesticides than others. Those you should definitely buy organic. Others (especially those with a removable skin) are okay to buy non-organic.

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/28/17 8:56 pm

No. It’s a very successful marketing scam.

mudkip17 United States of Texas
11/28/17 7:48 pm

if it has a skin you don't eat, like an orange, it makes no difference

susanr Colorado
11/28/17 7:17 pm

I don't think so, at least not in most cases. For anyone who is concerned that they are but feels they can't afford the higher prices, there's a list somewhere of the ones that are considered more worth the extra money - based, I guess, on which actually absorb the nonorganic chemicals used on them, or which chemicals are of more concern. (Can you tell I don't pay that much attention to the subject? Kinda odd for a person who went to graduate school to study the effects of environmental & natural chemicals on DNA in regard to cancer & other genetic diseases, I think. I can't really explain it. It's probably that I'm just fairly comfortable that the FDA & USDA are doing a pretty decent job of not screwing us, at least in areas where they have any authority.)

susanr Colorado
11/28/17 7:26 pm

Here, since I mentioned it, is that list. Or rather, a few of them, mostly from the same source. I'm providing this without *any* layperson's or professional stamp of approval, though. Mostly these just tell you what produce has pesticide residue(s) on it or not.

www.businessinsider.com/non-organic-produce-most-pesticides-2017-3/#4-apples-4

www.eatingwell.com/article/15806/the-dirty-dozen-12-foods-you-should-buy-organic/

This is a list of what supposedly *isn't* worth buying organic (and why):
www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/non-organic-food#organic-food

This article talks about why to buy organic or not. I don't know how much of it is bullshit. Just some thoughts, if you're interested:
www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/buying-organic-worth-it_us_57481117e4b03ede4414733d

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/29/17 8:35 am

Thanks for all this information. What concerns me most is that governmental consumer protection agencies such as FDA & USDA are being casstratrated by their own department heads.

susanr Colorado
11/29/17 10:32 am

Yes, there is that issue. I haven't really taken that into consideration (in general, not just for this question). I'm somewhere between total horror and a state of denial on that. I've been out of touch with people in my professional society who work in health-related federal agencies since I retired, but I wonder how they're coping. (I remember what it was like for them just during the gov't shutdowns during the Clinton administration, and that was bad enough. It was amazing how that had longer-term effects on scientific research - the public had no idea, in general. You couldn't even start experiments if there was a whiff of possibility of a shutdown, if you weren't sure you'd be there to take care of them. I saw it first hand as well - I was doing my graduate research at NIOSH and had a gov't contractor job, so I was one of a handful of researchers allowed in the building.)

I was actually surprised that Trump allowed Francis Collins to stay as Director of NIH.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/29/17 10:49 am

There is a coordinated widespread attack on civil and consumer protections. There is an urgent imperative that Democrats take Congress in next year’s elections.