TopsQueen November 25th, 2017 8:58pm

Are roadside memorials legal in your state legal. Ex a cross with flowers. Where someone was killed in an accident?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/26/17 11:26 pm

They have to meet guidelines of distance from the road. And so forth.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/26/17 7:08 pm

I see them in Oregon & WA, I assume they are legal.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
11/25/17 11:32 pm

I see them when I go into the city, and I wanna steal the stuffed bears 🤔

gluxford1 Arizona
11/25/17 11:10 pm

Yes, and I’m not fond of them. I find them depressing. They had a particularly bad accident right after Halloween at the intersection near my house and the cross-shaped memorial and the candles from the vigil are still there. Two cars t-boned each other and a 14-year-old girl was ejected through the windshield. She died on the asphalt. One driver was drunk and the other was high.

paranoidandroid peace love and science
11/25/17 7:40 pm

I always assumed they were legal here bc I see them all the time but they in fact are not. I’m glad police departments use discretion when enforcing that law.

catpillow Florida West Coast
11/25/17 5:39 pm

I had to look it up. I see them all the time, but it turns out they are not legal in Florida. In spite of that, police officers usually compassionately choose to leave them alone. They are only removed when considered to be a hazard.

The state offers a no charge to the public five foot signpost with a circular sign on it that says “drive safely in memory of ..the person's name..” Each marker can legally stay up for a year, unless road crews need to move them.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/25/17 5:00 pm

I see them all the time, but I don’t know if they are explicitly legal. I'm sure they are fine on private property with the permission of the landowner, and I'd bet they are considered dumping or littering if they are on public property. It is a thing I don’t remember ever seeing when I was younger, and makes zero sense to me. At best, they are annoying.

historylover
11/25/17 6:07 pm

I see them as a reminder to drive safely.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/25/17 4:37 pm

I see them from time to time in my city and others nearby.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/25/17 4:34 pm

They must be. I see them.

clmcd42 Texas
11/25/17 3:53 pm

I see them everywhere, so I assume they're legal. I could be wrong though

sgkitty new york
11/25/17 3:36 pm

I assume so. I have seen them and have no reason to believe that cops have ever stopped someone for setting one up.

cpaswr just say the letters
11/25/17 2:29 pm

I don’t know if they are legal. But, I see them often.

Wino I need a drink
11/25/17 2:17 pm

It is illegal in Colorado, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, and Wisconsin.
Florida, Utah, and Washington prohibit traditional memorials but offer an alternative. You can get a safety sign instead of a memorial (it will have the deceased’s name on it).

xtarite
11/25/17 3:00 pm

Interesting, I’m from Indiana and I see them all the time. Guess it’s one of those laws that doesn’t usually get enforced

Wino I need a drink
11/25/17 4:17 pm

That’s my assumption as I’ve seen them in Wisconsin too. I think it’s basically a law stating we will take down anything we don’t want.

Zfilakas Eleftheria i Thanatos
11/25/17 5:36 pm

I was gonna say, also from Indiana and see them all the time.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/25/17 9:11 pm

We see them all the time. But they are way off the road. To me they are a reminder.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/25/17 2:14 pm

I don’t know about the legality but I see them. Plenty of laws go unenforced so who knows.

rons screw politicians
11/25/17 2:03 pm

See it often. Sometimes it just flowers. My friend lost his son on a nearby road. He was 19 yrs old. Could have been 8 yrs ago but there is always something at the crash site.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/25/17 9:13 pm

A friends nice was high. She killed her baby. There is at the end of the bridge.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/25/17 9:14 pm

On a bridge due to a car wreck.