Rotten Tomatoes ranks "It's A Wonderful Life" as #1 on its list of Christmas films. While Christmas serves as the backdrop, the film is not about the holiday or celebrating Christmas. Is "It's A Wonderful Life" a Christmas Movie?
It is a Christmas movie (and so is Die Hard).
for the record national lampoons christmas vacation is at the top of the list. tied with charlie brown
are we back door equating die hard to a xmas movie? no to it’s a wonderful life and no to die hard. insanity!
A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street and Home Alone would be the most popular Christmas movies of all time, in that order, in my opinion.
It is a Christmas movie for the following reasons:
1) it is about faith
2) there are references to God
3) There are Angels
4) It is about redemption and renewal, and goodwill towards all (with the sole exception of Mr. Potter)
5) It occurs during Christmas
6) Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ, the Ultimate Redeemer in the Christian faith (Yes we all know it is not actually his birthday)
7) Christmas and the Christmas season permeate the movie - it is not simply the backdrop.
8) It has been broadcast at Christmastime for decades
FACE - I personally think IAWL is a Christmas flick, but I also think Die Hard is....and that film depends WAY more on Christmas than IAWL does. I mean, if you swapped out Christmas for Easter in IAWL, you wouldn't miss a beat. I'd even argue that Easter better aligns with the Christian themes you mentioned than Christmas does.
It’s a Christmas tradition, set at Christmas time. Of course it is.
Christmas, not Christmassy. And hugely overrated, in my opinion, I give it about a four (out of ten).
Look Christmassy to me. Right Clarence?
Not a Xmas movie.
Going to see it next week with The Symphony performing the score. Stoked.
“Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings”🧚🏼♀️
Best Christmas movie is: www.imdb.com/title/tt0044008/
I’ll watch them both again for the umpteen time. Do it every year. The Macy’s Parade, the Rose Parade, March of the Wooden Soldiers. Stuff like that makes me happy.