Shazam November 25th, 2017 5:37pm

Rotten Tomatoes ranks "It's A Wonderful Life" as #1 on its list of Christmas films. While Christmas serves as the backdrop, the film is not about the holiday or celebrating Christmas. Is "It's A Wonderful Life" a Christmas Movie?

DrCarpenter A2
11/27/17 7:26 am

It is a Christmas movie (and so is Die Hard).

thelowend imitation is flattery
11/25/17 7:16 pm

for the record national lampoons christmas vacation is at the top of the list. tied with charlie brown

thelowend imitation is flattery
11/25/17 7:15 pm

are we back door equating die hard to a xmas movie? no to it’s a wonderful life and no to die hard. insanity!

snagglepuss Story Time
11/25/17 4:27 pm

A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street and Home Alone would be the most popular Christmas movies of all time, in that order, in my opinion.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/25/17 3:16 pm

It is a Christmas movie for the following reasons:

1) it is about faith
2) there are references to God
3) There are Angels
4) It is about redemption and renewal, and goodwill towards all (with the sole exception of Mr. Potter)
5) It occurs during Christmas
6) Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ, the Ultimate Redeemer in the Christian faith (Yes we all know it is not actually his birthday)
7) Christmas and the Christmas season permeate the movie - it is not simply the backdrop.
8) It has been broadcast at Christmastime for decades
9) Snow

TRADITION!

😁🎄😇

...

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/25/17 3:26 pm

FACE - I personally think IAWL is a Christmas flick, but I also think Die Hard is....and that film depends WAY more on Christmas than IAWL does. I mean, if you swapped out Christmas for Easter in IAWL, you wouldn't miss a beat. I'd even argue that Easter better aligns with the Christian themes you mentioned than Christmas does.

⚡️

timeout Boston Strong
11/25/17 12:03 pm

It’s a Christmas tradition, set at Christmas time. Of course it is.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/25/17 11:34 am

Christmas, not Christmassy. And hugely overrated, in my opinion, I give it about a four (out of ten).

rons screw politicians
11/25/17 11:29 am

Look Christmassy to me. Right Clarence?
youtu.be/OfUV-F9jFro

Louderthebetter
11/25/17 10:51 am

Not a Xmas movie.
Going to see it next week with The Symphony performing the score. Stoked.

“Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings”🧚🏼‍♀️
-Zuzu

rons screw politicians
11/25/17 11:32 am

I’ll watch them both again for the umpteen time. Do it every year. The Macy’s Parade, the Rose Parade, March of the Wooden Soldiers. Stuff like that makes me happy.