rons November 21st, 2017 4:55pm

Which company launched the first domestic communications satellite in 1974?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
11/21/17 11:15 pm

👏👏👏👏👏👏 a poll not about politics! @!! and I got it wrong. 😄😄 I said ATT

Wert A picture of my junk
11/21/17 1:47 pm

Westar I, WU, was the first US domestic to use a geostationary orbit. But Canadian Anik I, two years earlier, was the first domestic geostationary.

rons screw politicians
11/21/17 3:56 pm

Oh, I work at WU and it was such a big deal. I worked on message switching to the NYSE NOT Westar.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/21/17 7:00 pm

Cool job... I bet that was interesting.

rons screw politicians
11/21/17 7:55 pm

It was good. All assembler language. Orders sent the the NYSE floor. When executed we match it to the order and sent the matched order back to the originator. That was 1969.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/21/17 10:54 pm

I miss coding in Assembler. Could probably still do it with the right processor... if one could be found...

rons screw politicians
11/22/17 6:46 am

Wert, I didn’t miss it. I did cobol for a while but in the early 80’s we bought Tandem Computers (lot’s of redundancy) and they use TAL. A one pass compiler with a powerful instruction set. The I got promoted to manager and Peter’s principle started to set in. It took years to reach my full potential of incompetence.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/21/17 10:36 am

To be fair, this is misleading. The first “commercially launched” is not the first US commercial communications satellite nor is it the first “domestic” one. The first? Intelsat 1 in 1965. The company? The COMSAT consortium (formed by act of Congress). The builder? Hughes. The launch system? Delta rockets (same as the Westar 1) ...originally a Douglas Aircraft launch system. The actual organization launching these? NASA.

smart1
11/21/17 10:18 am

I believe ATT owned Western Union at the time. A minor distinction.

rons screw politicians
11/21/17 10:26 am

ATT never owned WU. They sold the TWX telegraph service to WU a little earlier. I worked for WU starting in 1969-1991. ATT bought our email group and I became an AT&T employee Jan 2, 1991.
WU sold Westar, their microwave networks, the Telephone business. Today WU is money transfers around the world.

smart1
11/21/17 10:30 am

Thanks for the clarification.

rons screw politicians
11/21/17 10:31 am

WU was a great place to work, ATFT was not.