Cole12 November 21st, 2017 5:41am

I'm very skeptical of artists who try to insert meaning, value judgments, & strong emotions into song lyrics. It all seems so fake. Unlike other art forms, music, in my opinion, should always be random & devoid of deeper meaning. Do you agree w/ me?

willwonka Missouri
11/21/17 8:33 am

Man. What chu talking about Willis?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
11/21/17 7:38 am

Music can be like poetry or like therapy. Like Springsteen, Dylan or nivana.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
11/21/17 5:43 am

Partially. I think all art is devoid of deeper meaning.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/21/17 5:23 am

Quite the opposite. Music is infused with meaning in the lyrics & the notes.

voc I am...what I am
11/21/17 5:08 am

If they didn’t have meaning, groups like NWA, Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, etc wouldn’t have been as big and influential as they were paving the way for the crap music you listen to today.

jrpacman Pensum iocus est
11/21/17 4:59 am

Now I get why you like hip hop

snagglepuss Story Time
11/21/17 3:06 am

Lyrics tell a story. Nothing wrong with reflection of our time.

phalnx Ohio
11/21/17 1:23 am

Not always, but more often than not. Bob Dylan's lyrics are certainly worth a listen.

Aaron89 California
11/21/17 12:39 am

My personal taste in music is rather broad, but if I had to narrow it down to the genres or eras, I would choose:
1. Classical such as Chopin, Pachelbel, Mozart amd Beethoven
2. Classic Rock and Roll
3. Punk Rock

ComradeJames nationalism
11/21/17 9:17 am

That wasn't the question. Like, at all.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
11/20/17 11:16 pm

Haha no, of course not. Music has the ability to convey messages and invoke emotion better than anything else. I appreciate people who don't waste or ignore that fact.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/20/17 11:01 pm

Music is sung poetry.
It may convey message.

Cole12 ...
11/20/17 10:52 pm

There are only 5 things that matter in music: cool beat, interesting voice, entrancing flow, words that get stuck in your head, and unique pronunciation of words (the fifth is a part of the fourth, but it's extremely important, so I listed it separately to emphasize its significance). The lyrics don't need to tell a story or convey a message - in fact, it's probably better if they don't. Really, you don't need to have "words" at all. Random human sounds - as long as they're catchy - are fine, too.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/20/17 11:02 pm

You know, there's instrumental music 😏

Cole12 ...
11/20/17 11:17 pm

True. I'm just talking about lyrical music here. I listen to a lot of instrumental music, too.

Aaron89 California
11/21/17 12:30 am

Great question, unlike the majority of polls on SOH, there is great potential for philosophical discourse. However, I disagree with your conclusion that “unlike other arts forms &c.”. Historically, many, if not the majority of great artist performed, sculpted, painted &c. majisterial pieces of art that contradicted their true mental states, perspectives as well as lifestyles.Many of the great Renaissance and Baroque artists were contracted by the bourgeoisie of their respective era to compose pieces of art that represented bourgeoisie interest. For example,Leonardo da Vinci painted and sculpted fine pieces for merchants & more significantly, the Vatican. Consider “The Last Supper”-how much meaning could it have had for Da Vinci (he was a homosexual)?Should the former have had any meaning than it must have perished along with Da Vinci. Baroque great Gian Lorenzo Bernini was also contracted by the Vatican and it is now believed that his faith in god extended no further than agnosticism.

Aaron89 California
11/21/17 12:33 am

2/2Nevertheless,for the reasons above, you have a right to be skeptical, but it should extend to all types of Artist.Plato for example, considered sculpters to be aesthetically brilliant however stagnate and empty of meaningful substance- pIainters were also brilliant (craft)ultamatly not adequatly educated on political & moral matters & were closer to posers whos success was due to “prejeduices that conformed to popular vogue”.In conclusion, more than ever before, we should be hypervigilant and skeptical of the so-called music artist of our day. Pop music is in its worst period ever. Its destoying the remnants of true art with the use of digital technology.Moreover,Its nothing more than elite bourgiosie propaganda of which markets superficial values as a means of marketing fashion and erodes the community by emphasizing the narcisstic “self”.Most significantly, its not just a weapon of influence, but of mass destraction as well.Worst of all is that society is oblivious to all of this.

deist
11/20/17 10:47 pm

Absolutely not, it would seem to me it is the reason for an art work, to convey a message or feeling... to inspire or relate ,,,,
this is the purpose of all art..