11/20/17 9:27 pm

Voc, well stared. I should not have started by pointing out the willful ignorance, but it is a pet peeve.

4JC, I’m not trying to collect followers. I know it’s something people do on this app, but that’s not my purpose for being here. I’ve never had people share my information asking for followers. I use this app as a way to learn about views I see little of in the real world. There have been times when intelligent people on this app have taught me things I didn’t know or helped me to understand a view I couldn’t wrap my head around. I look to interact with people in order to understand, I think someone doesn’t have correct information (as above), or because it’s a poll of someone I respect. Clearly, we use this app in very different ways.

11/19/17 11:20 am

I would also! Both great guys really DOING something for the causes they believe in!

voc I am...what I am
11/19/17 10:48 am

I am absolutely shocked at the number of people who read GQ. I wouldn’t have guessed this many conservatives read that trash.

I really don’t think anyone other than a few people actually care who GQ thinks is the man of the year. To be honest, I didn’t even know they were still around until a bunch of people feigned outrage over this.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/19/17 10:52 am

I have never read. I never even heard of it before this but as it’s all over conservative news sources, everyone knows.
His name and the NFL thing has been in the Russian press, British press, Ukrainian press and Irish press. Honestly, GQ was failing apparently and now everyone is talking about it and some are buying it. Liberals are supporting it by purchasing copies.
To be honest, horrible choice from a moral point of view but fantastic choice from a marketing point of view. It made GQ relevant again.

voc I am...what I am
11/19/17 10:55 am

That is so true. I wonder what would have happened if the conservatives didn’t get so bent out of shape about this. Would GQ still be getting this kind of attention?

11/19/17 11:03 am

Wow! Great points. I guess I stand corrected! šŸ˜³šŸ™„šŸ˜³šŸ™„šŸ˜³

I’ve never read it before, for the record, so I didn’t realize they were struggling! Lol

11/19/17 11:04 am

Also, there used to be an emoji in one of the old chat rooms I was in, in which the emoji was beating his head against a brick wall. I really need that one for this! Lol

voc I am...what I am
11/19/17 11:05 am

Why? What was wrong with what we said?

11/19/17 11:07 am

Nothing was wrong with what you said. I felt like you were pulling me up short for posting the poll. I’m kind of agreeing with you—as it’s giving GQ social media attention.

11/19/17 11:08 am

The beating the head against the brick wall was saying that’s what I’M doing! Saying I shouldn’t have posted the poll! Lol

voc I am...what I am
11/19/17 11:09 am

Oh! No! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to give you that impression. That wasn’t it at all!

11/19/17 11:16 am

That’s ok. Y’all made some great points. I didn’t realize they were struggling and this might actually be helping them.

I don’t think it’s that conservatives are reading GQ. I think it’s just they saw the articles about GQ choosing Kaepernick, and they’re upset that they would choose someone that they feel is disrespecting our flag and military (I know—liberals don’t feel that’s what he’s doing, but it IS what conservatives believe) over someone that actually did something to help others.

11/19/17 11:20 am

Also, we see these two men as actually DOING something for the causes they believe in, while Kaepernick hasn’t done anything to help those he’s supposedly kneeling for.

11/19/17 1:28 pm

Once again 4JC, please don’t speak on things you don’t know about. I don’t follow you yet this is the second discussion I’ve had with you about Kaepernick and your willful ignorance about what he does and why. It’s very disappointing.
kaepernick7.com/mhome/

It should be noted, JJ Watts is a bit of hero in this house. Not only because of his fundraising skills, but because he is a really great guy. My cousins grew up in the same town. He has gone back to his schools and thanked his teachers. He does what all athletes should do.

11/19/17 3:41 pm

Do you have a NEWS article that tells about what Kaepernick has done, instead of his own page?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/19/17 4:41 pm

Wino, there was nothing wrong with what 4JC posted. People, including me and probably including you, post things that through discussion are found to be incorrect or other people make valid points. 4JC thought she knew about this. So she posted it. It created discussion and lead to her thinking about it in a different way. I see things posted on here by people that I think are wrong or know are wrong. Sometimes I call them out on it and sometimes think I’m right only to have my ass rightly handed to me on a platter (politely though). She was courteous about it. This is why SOH exists.

11/19/17 5:25 pm

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/15/colin-kaepernick-honored-by-players-union-for-charity-work/105645590/

www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/09/15/dont-ignore-this-positive-pr-twist-to-colin-kaepernick/

Russian, there is a history where I’ve posted articles about Kaepernick and 4JC just makes excuses for not knowing information while claiming to get information from more than just places like Fox News. This isn’t the first time she’s spoken about him in a disrespectful manner without knowing about him. Only, I know in the articles I’ve posted for her before, that she requested, had information about his extensive charity work. As such, she requested information than chose to completely ignore it. At that point it is willful ignorance.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/19/17 7:39 pm

I think he is disrespectful ok this issue. She disagrees with you. You don’t like her news sources and she doesn’t seem to like yours but I very very much disagree with his kneeling. I would not consider kneeling or sitting for the national anthem and technically, it’s not my anthem. You simply view his actions in a different light, which is fine. People can have differences of opinion.
The issue was, did he deserve the citizen of the year? I would say no. Many people do charity work. Many people saved lives this year in forest fires, tornados, hurricanes etc. People are still volunteering to go into zones to help rebuild. However, let’s face it, people who are a nobody don’t sell magazines. KC did. It was a stroke of marketing genius.
I know nothing about it. I hate American football but this kneeling thing is being reported around the world and honestly, the Americans doing it are looking a little stupid in the eyes of much of the world.

11/19/17 8:30 pm

Thanks for the links, Wino. I stand corrected! I’m so sorry. I really don’t remember us talking about this before, and I might have gotten distracted or not had the time to look at the links earlier. I try to be very respectful of others here on SOH, so I’m sorry if I came across as unwilling to look at what you provided. I’m glad to see that Kaepernick is doing something to help others.

11/19/17 8:30 pm

Thanks for standing for me, RT! I REALLY appreciate it and you!

....

11/19/17 10:22 pm

For one thing, why even discuss it except to draw division? Why take away from someone being recognized for their work? What does that say about you? When someone is recognized for working with groups, people shouldn’t say, well so and so did more (I can almost guarantee JJ Watts isn’t saying that). People should say well done. It’s just not that hard and is the Christian thing to do.

4JC, you’ve posted on the subject enough where you really should know at this point that him choosing to kneel was out of respect. His friend who was in the service helped him with the idea so perpetuating this false narrative is contributing to division. If that’s what you want to do and the type of person you are, fine, but expect to be called out.

Russian, this is an argument that comes from the past. I don’t care if you like him kneeling or hate it. The fact is he has you talking and it came as a suggestion from his friend who was in the service.

11/19/17 10:22 pm

4JC can have an opinion, but when it’s thrust into my feed and based off a false narrative that I’ve called her out on before than I’ll call her out again. Each time I see it, I’ll call it out. Perpetuating misinformation only creates more ignorance and doesn’t help people understand one another.

11/20/17 12:28 am

Well I see that my admittance that I was wrong and my apology meant NOTHING to you. I guess I won’t be doing that again.

11/20/17 5:24 am

Wino why don’t you stop being an ignorant little prick. 4JC actually apologized but that’s not good enough for you. That piece of crap may may done some charity work but he disrespected the flag. As far as I’m concerned, you can take your self-righteousness and wipe it with the same toilet paper that should be on the cover of GQ with the piece of crap that’s on the cover.
I know he’s protesting supposed social injustice regarding police violence against blacks, but he decided to protest the sample of the freedoms that give him the right to be a jackass. If it wasn’t for what the flag represents, he would still be working the fields as a piece of property.

11/20/17 9:09 am

Clearly you are just as bad. His protest of kneeling was a way of showing respect to the troops while protesting police brutality. I went through and already posted articles and a timeline showing this to be the case for 4JC and don’t have time me this morning to do the same for you. It is, in deed, something most have known since the beginning as long as you don’t get your news through propaganda sources only.

As for 4JC, I don’t want or need an apology. I need you to not purposefully perpetuate a false narrative. That’s it. Actions speak louder than words.

11/20/17 9:12 am

I am well aware of what he did. 4JC did not and does not owe your ignorance an apology.
Maybe you should quit trolling.

11/20/17 9:19 am

That piece of crap was an average QB with nothing notable about him. Apparently, he got desperate for attention. Also apparently, GQ was hurting for sales.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/20/17 10:28 am

Wino.....your narrative could be and does seem to be the false one.

You applaud the kneeling. Some don’t. KC clearly was NOT honoring the troops. I mean, come on.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/20/17 10:33 am

His original 29 August statement said nothing about honoring the troops. You want to think it did...fine by me but don’t call the rest of us stupid for not making excuses for him.

11/20/17 10:53 am

I’ll give a comparison I just thought of.
This former quarterback, which had nothing notable going for him, decided to protest police brutality towards blacks by disrespecting the nation’s flag.
Tedy Bruschi, now retired, was an outstanding defense of player for the New England Patriots, suffered a stroke and spent time with stroke victims to raise awareness for stroke victims.
Which one is more deserving to be on the cover of a magazine or looked at as a roll model?

11/20/17 11:27 am

Russian, I at least respect you enough to acknowledge you.
Do research yourself as I provided links in a different poll. Kaepernick was originally sitting out of the anthem as a protest. His friend, either a vet or someone still active, asked if he could kneel instead as a sign of respect to troops. This all happened within days. Long before it ever became a national debate, but it requires one actually goes back past all the recent propaganda. I believe, at the time, it was mostly covered on ESPN and in SI. I can look for it after I finish volunteer hours with my kids today.

11/20/17 11:35 am

Russian there you go…anybody disagrees with him is a propaganda sheep šŸ˜‚

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/20/17 2:25 pm

The man wore socks depicting the police as pigs. I don’t care. You don’t kneel during the anthem. Apparently he’s not that great of a player but honestly, this all looks attention grabbing. I’m sorry his 11 million dollar salary was oppressing him. He paints with a broad stroke, all police officers in the country. Should I paint all black men, all football players, all Californians, the same way? No.
He’s no hero. He’s into BLM, which is little more than a hate group. I have no respect for him. None. I stand and it’s not even my flag. He’s half black/half white, raised by upper middle class white parents and is now embracing the victimization mentality of some in the black minority. If he wants to help the black community, work within the black community. More blacks are killed by other blacks than by the police. Wearing socks to indicate hatred for the police and kneeling during the anthem did nothing but divide the nation, lose the NFL money and saw him out of a job.

11/20/17 2:58 pm

It’s good to know what kind of person you are proving to be. I’m so sorry someone using their first amendment right and doing charity upsets you so much. You have every right to dislike him and he has every right to do what he does. I hope you don’t grow up continuing to fall for propaganda like what you just spewed out. I do feel for you. No one should be that angered by someone being recognized for work.

As for a timeline, here’s a simple one
www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/19253/from-a-seat-to-a-knee-how-colin-kaepernick-and-nate-boyer-are-trying-to-affect-change

www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

11/20/17 3:09 pm

I wonder if you have ever heard the saying “ just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should”.
I’m not going to argue whether not he has the right to protest the flag. I’m not even sure whether or not there is any point to explaining something to someone as ignorant as you. That flag is the symbol of our freedoms. That piece of trash is black. That flag is the symbol of every reason that he is not a slave. That flag symbolizes the reason that he can vote. He is so mistaken in his choice of objects to protest.
Since you are ignorant enough to justify what he did just because he has the right to, I probably just wasted this posting. Even a person in this thread who is not even American gets it.
It really disgusts me that I even have to explain something like this to anybody that would consider themselves an American. All you can say is that I watch too much propaganda.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/20/17 3:09 pm

I’m not angered by it. You seem to become irrationally irate when people disagree with you on this issue. 4JC expressed her opinion and you spouted off to her about what she said, expressing her own 1st amendment rights.
You can’t stand it when people disagree with you. I saw your response to her and thought it inappropriate so I spoke up. YOU have made this an issue buttercup, not me. KC does charity work and I applaud him fo4 it. The rest of it...not so much.
I didn’t even know GQ existed until this issue and I hate American football. No, I’m not angered. I’m simply stating my opinion as was JC, which you called hateful and ignorant.

Snowflakes.....I do feel for you too. You must be from California.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/20/17 3:12 pm

As for your timeline, obviously the military and much of America disagree. If many military say they see it as disrespectful, he would have stopped. He didn’t. He seems to love the attention. Meantime, viewership, merchandising and ticket sales are down across the NFL. ESPN had lost viewers and revenue. Sure, they are non biased lol

11/20/17 3:34 pm

Well, 4JC and I have had this discussion before and she had said she would correct her understanding after it. She clearly did not and that is what upsets me. She seemed a reasonable person who truly wanted to understand. To apologize and say my bad is fine, but then to do it again on the same exact subject matter means you never were sorry and that is a huge pet peeve of mine. If one wants to be ignorant and spew garbage, they can, but suck it up and don’t apologize.

If you are choosing that path, that works. Best of luck as we will no longer be discussing things. If you’d like to base arguments off facts and reason, I’m happy to discuss. If not, there’s no need to discuss.

11/20/17 3:38 pm

You’ve got a lot of nerve. 4JC is one of the nicest people on SOH. You said you have a problem with people spewing garbage, but that doesn’t stop you from doing it. Hypocrisy Looks good on you.

11/20/17 3:38 pm

there’s no point in discussing anything.

As for the armed forces, most I know support him. In the real world, I know of one discharged marine who finds him disrespectful (to be fair, he was dishonorably discharged and is angry at much of the world). All others from JAG to SEALs to my friend’s son at West Point, understand and support his rights.

voc I am...what I am
11/20/17 4:02 pm

Wow. This thread got real ugly really quick. We all have differing opinions on pretty much everything. We can (we should) be able to have rational discussions about things without shitting on other people’s opinions.

Example: on the issue, I agree with wino. I don’t think they are disrespecting the flag or our troops, but I understand people do think they are. Those people aren’t going to be able to change what I know, and I’m not going to be able to change what they think (sorry, couldn’t resist), but we should be able to talk nicely to each other.

I fly off the handle a lot too. Just did this weekend with someone. Some one else came in and reminded me to respect others opinions. She was right, and now I’m passing it along to you, although I didn’t say it as well as she did.

Anywho....

11/20/17 4:07 pm

Many years ago, I took an oath to defend the Constitution and this country against all threats foreign and domestic. I take that very seriously. Unfortunately, this mentality that pig has is a bigger threat than anything external. I don’t expect an ignoramus to understand.
I have nothing further to say. I would prefer this thread to end.

voc I am...what I am
11/20/17 4:12 pm

Alright! Glad to see I helped! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ wowza.

11/20/17 4:39 pm

Wino, first of all, I don’t remember another convo with you about this. But you need to understand several things about me, that might make you less judgmental. After all, aren’t liberals the ones always preaching TOLERANCE?

1. You’ve been a member of SOH for over 4 years. I’ve only been here 14 months.

In that amount of time for each of us, here are our stats:

Followers: You-322; Me-337

Comments: You-7,946; Me-38,278

Polls Made: You-232; Me-1,324

Following: You-248; Me-533

Polls Answered: You-61,147; Me-22,587.

11/20/17 4:39 pm

2) So, as you can see, I’ve talked to a LOT more people here about a LOT more issues in 14 MONTHS than you have in 4 YEARS! I’ve had to learn who 533 people are in 14 months, and try to keep them all straight, and that’s just the ones I’m following. I’m sure there are many more I’ve interacted with, like YOU, who I don’t follow. Maybe the way you’ve treated me today is a reason that I never followed you? I don’t know, because I really don’t remember you.

2. I hope that you can understand that it would be harder for me to remember every person and what they say about every issue than it would you, since I’ve been so much more active. ESPECIALLY when you consider that I have 6 chronic health conditions, all of which cause memory problems and fogginess/confusion. I think I’m doing great to remember what I DO!

11/20/17 4:40 pm

3) 3. I have RARELY interacted with you, compared to other people here, like Ptellini and RT. You can clearly see that they know me a LOT better than you do because we talk almost every day. All I remember talking to you about is asking you why you used the name Wino—are you an alcoholic?

11/20/17 4:48 pm

I find it very ironic that there were no responses to the comparison that I made…
I guess making constructive decisions in your actions to deal with an issue is asking too much of the liberal minded.

11/20/17 4:55 pm

Also, Wino, I often don’t get back to certain polls to answer someone because my notifications blow up and the notifications for certain polls drop off the bottom of my list. I have had more than 50 notifications in a 30 minute period before!

voc I am...what I am
11/20/17 6:43 pm

People stop looking at comparisons when you’re calling them names. That’s the only thing I got out of this whole thing is y’all calling each other big doo doo heads and poo poo brains. And then there was my awesome speech.

voc I am...what I am
11/20/17 6:47 pm

But my speech was awesome wasn’t it?

voc I am...what I am
11/20/17 8:48 pm

THANK YOU!! Thank you all!

11/20/17 9:43 pm

Well stated Voc. I should not have started with the willful ignorance, but it is a pet peeve when it’s repetitive.

4JC, clearly we use this app differently. I’ve never asked anyone to share a poll or asked for followers. I’m not looking to interact with as many people as possible. I use this to interact with people so I can understand a different point of view while shedding light on mine. I tend to only interact with those I think would benefit from information I have, who have information I might benefit from, or the polls of users whom I respect. Clearly, we use this app in different ways.

11/20/17 11:15 pm

I use the poll the same way you do, Wino. I didn’t say that I set out to have that many followers or solicited them. It just happened, probably because I try to be respectful of everyone, and don’t attack them as you did me.

I was only giving the statistics so that you would see that I didn’t willfully ignore whatever it was you told me earlier.

I admitted that I was wrong, as I didn’t realize that Kaepernick had given some money, but you can’t even acknowledge that I did so. Why is that? If you’re really wanting to use the app the way you say you do, then why ignore what I’ve said? You got all hot, thinking I ignored you. Aren’t you doing the same thing?

11/20/17 11:32 pm

Ok, I acknowledged your apology, but again words are words. Just because one apologizes doesn’t mean one has to accept it. I’m not looking for, nor would I want an apology. If you are actually sorry, from your language I doubt it, then I won’t see you spreading divisive false narratives. That’s it. That’s all I’m looking for.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/21/17 4:37 am

She acknowledged her error in not knowing he gave to charity, not an error in disagreeing with him and she had every right to post her beliefs. If you don’t want to see what she says in the future, block her.

“I won’t see you spreading false information”. In other words, she had to accept your sources as legitimate or you don’t accept it.

There is something way over the top arrogant in your comments to her. Clearly you see yourself as a superior intellectual being and your sources unimpeachable. I don’t know about her but I for one, I am not shocked.

Again, block her if your too much of a fragile snowflake that you can’t see anyone criticize KC because many of us probably will. She has every right too.

I think she’s apologizing she upset you because she’s a nice person. She’s not apologizing for her opinion of KC.

11/21/17 5:13 am

I can’t believe this is still going on.
Why is it still going on? Because wino can’t let it go…let it go. He needs to shut up and let it go…
Just put 4JC on ignore and get lost.

11/21/17 5:26 am

Since he is done some charity work, I think it’s only fair that everybody who’s done some charity work gets to be on the cover of a magazine.

11/21/17 8:57 am

It was going on because she asked a question, so I answered. Why you two are still commenting is beyond me.

voc I am...what I am
11/21/17 8:58 am

It’s also going on because ptellini hasn’t said how awesome I am yet.

11/21/17 8:59 am

I have been silent on your awesomeness because I cannot find the words to appropriately express such a thing.

voc I am...what I am
11/21/17 9:00 am

Lol! Thank you!

11/21/17 9:02 am

You’re welcome.

11/21/17 9:34 am

THANK YOU, RT! Yes, that summed up EXACTLY what I’m doing. I acknowledge that I was mistaken about CK giving to charity. But the ONLY reason that I was wrong is because even you said, I think, Wino, that these articles are only in sports related media. I don’t follow ANY sports related media because I’m not into sports at all. I haven’t seen ANYTHING about his giving in MSM.

And I stand by my comments that he is wrong to kneel for the National Anthem. If that’s what you’re upset about, Wino, get ready to be REALLY upset at a LOT of people because there are a lot of people that feel he’s disrespectful of our flag, our men KIA, our military in general, and everything our country stands for.

The National Anthem is something that has ALWAYS pulled us together, united us, even amidst our most difficult problems. And he’s using it to divide us, imho.

11/21/17 9:35 am

2) There are a lot of people that are cancelling season tickets, destroying products, etc. They believe he has the RIGHT to do what he’s doing, but they are putting their money where their beliefs are, and they have that RIGHT, also!

—-

11/21/17 9:37 am

And for the record, I WON’T be saying again that CK has never put his money where his mouth is, either, now that I know that he has.

I thought that would be obvious from my saying that I stand corrected. But maybe you don’t know me well enough to know that would be my next step? When I see my mistakes, I try to correct them (thus the use of the word corrected). Your continuing to make a big deal of this makes it look like you won’t give me the benefit of the doubt, UNTIL you see me make the same mistake again.

11/21/17 9:39 am

Wino, this thread has been going on so long that I’ve forgotten....what question did I ask that you’re now answering with all this? Lol

11/21/17 9:40 am

Thanks, RT and Wino, for standing up for me and my beliefs. And thanks, Voc, for trying to add some levity with your awesome speech! Lol

....

11/21/17 9:42 am

4JC You should just put the nut job on ignore. If he is on the cover of a magazine for giving to charity, then a lot of people should be on the cover of magazines.
In terms of the reason for his kneeling, I make this comparison:

11/21/17 11:45 am

I agree, Ptellini. But I do now give credit to CK for at least giving $900K of a $1million goal to 4 charities. Granted, that’s a drop in the bucket for him, but at least he did that.

I tend to give people more credit, though, if they DO something to help others, rather than just throwing money at a problem. If they get involved, etc.

Or if they give a bigger percentage of their money. For example, someone that is poor that gives up something in their lives to help those that are even worse off than they are. CK is not going to be hurting by giving up $1M!

Alcerus fascist
11/19/17 9:31 am

I don't know if police officers *can* be citizen of the year. Like soldiers and such, they're not really civilians. But I don't know the dynamics of the whole "citizen of the year" thing anyway. Is it a government thing, or like the "sexiest man alive", where it's just some magazine's opinion?

11/19/17 9:57 am

Colin Kaepernick was GQ magazine’s choice.

It’s what you mentioned, a la Sexiest Man Alive, Sexiest Woman Alive, Most Influential Man or Woman, Man or Woman of the Year, etc.

Alcerus fascist
11/19/17 10:56 am

Ah okay. Thank you for clarification!

Jazzy5 USA
11/19/17 8:27 am

Both: GQ, has lost it just like Rolling Stone, they will go down the drain.

11/19/17 7:44 am

šŸ’  Pic Poll

Left Pic:

Citizen of the Year
Police Officer Norbert Ramon rescued 1,500 Texans while battling stage 4 colon cancer.
Disclaimer—Ramon’s unit saved 1,500 people. He estimates that he, personally, rescued 200-300 people or more.

www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/health/houston-hurricane-harvey-police-beyond-the-call/index.html

Right Pic:

Little boy with a disgusted, incredulous look on his face, slanting his eyes over to a woman. Caption says:
“So you’re telling me that JJ Watt raised $37 million for Hurricane Harvey victims, but Colin Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem & now he’s Citizen of the Year?!!”

Here’s an article about JJ Watt:

www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/15/jj-watt-hurricane-harvey-fundrasier-37-million

....

11/19/17 7:44 am

I’m NOT debating this issue with anyone. The pics say it all for me & I have nothing to add. You may voice your arguments, if you wish, but I won’t be responding. Don’t have time. Too busy getting ready for Thanksgiving/Christmas!

SoCalGal