DerekWills November 19th, 2017 3:35am

I got a job offer from Lockheed Martin, and will be moving to Ft. Worth in January. My wife and I have been looking at rental property, but it’s hard to find a place that will allow my 3 precious pitties (see avatar). “Aggressive breed” restrictions

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/19/17 6:04 pm

Connect with a pastor and ask for help.
I’m not familiar with Ft Worth but can find my way, with challenges, around Dallas.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/19/17 7:13 am

We want to build a house on some land, so renting is our short term plan.

swervin Maryland
11/19/17 6:49 am

I know people are always saying "it's not the breed, it's how you raise them" and I totally get that. But if a Boston terrier or a bulldog goes crazy, it won't be able to kill a small child. If a pitbull does, it can and have been known to kill children. It's just a matter of statistics and if it's worth the risk. It's usually not for apartment buildings.

Ducttape
11/20/17 10:16 am

Actually in 2000 a toy breed killed a 6 week old. While finding a place that will allow 3 dogs in general will be a bigger issue, the negativity surrounding pits will make it even more difficult.

amarillo.com/stories/100900/usn_pet.shtml#.WhMNTGhMGEc

Liberty 4,032,064
11/19/17 6:18 am

“Aggressive breed” restrictions are dumb.
A no pets policy, however, is smart and prudent.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/19/17 12:30 pm

I agree, and I understand a no pet policy. I even understand “no pets over xxlbs.” What I don’t get is “no aggressive breeds.” That’s just dumb and completely ignorant.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
11/19/17 3:45 am

No pit bulls would be allowed on my property. Too many deadly incidents have happened with supposedly "nice" pit bulls. Other tenants should not have to fear for their safety.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/19/17 1:46 am

Congratulations on the job. I’ve only met gentle sweet pitbull’s.

imanag My heaven on Earth
11/19/17 12:16 am

Yay!! Congrats on the job offer!

I hope you find someplace that will take your dogs. Pit bulls can be great pets. Our one pit bull, Killer, was one of the sweetest dogs we ever had. He loved swimming and was convinced that he was the size of a cocker spaniel.

voc I am...what I am
11/18/17 11:05 pm

Your dogs are adorable. Pits are some of the most loyal and wonderful dogs breeds there are.

We had a tea cup yorkie that was the meanest dog I’ve ever owned (I loved that dog, but he hated anyone that wasn’t in our family). My sister in laws pit was terrified of him. She would hide when our yorkie came over because our yorkie was a bully to her.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/18/17 10:39 pm

Woohoo! You’re going to be closer to AT&T Stadium now! And only 6 hours from Odessa instead of 12!

bower8899 ...
11/18/17 10:06 pm

They are lovely dogs.

Pit Bulls are naturally more violent than other dogs, but a good owner means they can be quite docile. It's all about how they are raised.

SoCalGal
11/19/17 12:19 am

I was afraid of pit bulls until we rescued a puppy. She has turned out to be the biggest love bug dog I’ve ever had. Her bark is scary, but she’s a big baby that our little doxie bosses around.

sfcren Wyoming
11/18/17 9:23 pm

Congrats, we foster pitties

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/18/17 9:15 pm

My pitt mixes are babies. They sulk for hours if scolded. They would most likely lick a stranger to death and dance like idiots when they see someone new.

knetzere Illinois
11/18/17 9:13 pm

Congrats on the job. That’s the dream, make stuff that blows other stuff up

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
11/18/17 9:12 pm

Yeah many areas around Dallas don’t allow them

Kay41 the Midwest
11/18/17 9:00 pm

Our neighbors raised their pitbull from a puppy. We never once heard them mistreat it or abuse it in any way. It was not raised to be aggressive. One day my husband was out in the back of our house turning over the compost with a pitchfork. The neighbor's dog somehow escaped from their fenced yard and attacked my husband unprovoked. The only reason he wasn't seriously injured is because he fought him off with the pitchfork. The dog ran away after several jabs.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/18/17 9:01 pm

Yes, just one anecdotal story. But, I do believe there is a reason for those restrictions.

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
11/18/17 9:09 pm

The reason being generations of dog breeding for illegal dog fights which, although haven’t disappeared, have largely decreased in number; correlating with this decrease, the aggressiveness of descendants of fighting dogs has been slowly bred out.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/18/17 9:11 pm

Well, it wasn't bred out in our situation. That dog was aggressive for no reason.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/18/17 9:12 pm

There are stories like this for every breed. I'm on my third round of mixed pitts. The last was a rescue at 6 months old, loved me and my little ranch but refused to stay home. He had 5 neighbors that adored him one put in a doggie door just for him.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/18/17 9:13 pm

Perhaps, but you hear it with pitbulls more than any other breed. I believe that they are more aggressive (in general) than others.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/19/17 6:19 am

Correct. But how many of the thousand of dog bites make the news?
And how many of the Pit attacks are from dogs bred to fight?

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/19/17 12:37 pm

Kay, you hear it about Pits more because of the ridiculous stigma already attached to them. Chihuahua’s are actually the most “aggressive” breed by “nature,” but no one cares because they weigh 4 lbs soaking wet. In fact, Dalmatians are more “aggressive” than pit bulls and Rottweilers are, but no one cares because they’re not scary looking and owners of Dalmatians have always raised them right. A pitty doesn’t just “turn.” That’s ignorance to even believe that. There is no gene in their chemistry that makes them suddenly snap. What it boils down to is they have a stigma unfairly attached to them because bad people have done bad things to them more often than other breeds. You don’t blame the breed for bad actors, just like you don’t blame the religion or the tool used for terrorism. You blame the person, because that’s where the fault lies.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/20/17 11:44 pm

Pitties are sweet family dogs. Protective clowns.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/18/17 8:57 pm

I am not a fan of most aggressive breed restrictions. I hope you are able to find a home!

chinito Florida
11/18/17 8:48 pm

Smart. You don't want those dogs n my property

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
11/18/17 8:45 pm

They’re idiotic. Of my two dogs, my lab would be more likely to attack someone than my pit. It’s more nurture than nature at this point. If you raise your dog aggressive, then they’ll be aggressive. The converse is also true.