Cindy97 November 18th, 2017 5:28pm

I just got a job at my local airport (MSP) as a baggage handler. Have any of you guys worked in a job that requires security clearance and multiple background checks?

fcdrvr
11/18/17 10:00 pm

I have detailed private jets for many years and have never been required to have background checks or badges for it. Even at multiple airports. I pull up to the gate in my personal vehicle pulling my work trailer full of chemicals and supplies for the job and as long as I have a tail number they let me in. I could see a tail number from the street and say that one at the gate and they would prob let me in too. Security is like daylight and dark compared to commercial flights

playum
11/18/17 7:41 pm

Why would you need a security clearance to handle baggage?

Cindy97 Minnesota
11/18/17 7:44 pm

I’ll be in security areas that only airport and airline personnel can enter, and I’ll be handling people’s luggage, meaning I have to be trustworthy and not have convictions of well, you know, theft... and airports AND airlines are obsessed with safety (with good reason, might I add)

phalnx Ohio
11/18/17 12:46 pm

Yeah, I've had an Air Badge in the past...probably a truck driver variant of the one you have. I used to pull loads out of DTW.

susanr Colorado
11/18/17 11:37 am

Yes. While I was in graduate school, I worked as a government contractor at a federal research facility (NIOSH) where I did my research for the last 4 years of my program.

The weird thing is that they *forgot* to do the background check stuff until just before I got my degree (and stopped being a contractor). They did it then, though.

Because I was a contractor during the government shutdowns in the 90s, I was one of the relatively few people allowed in the building - almost none of the regular government employees were allowed in. So there was was, un-backgrounded. Good thing I'm a basically good person.

commonsense America isnt racist
11/18/17 11:30 am

Yes. I used to repair atm’s. I was alone inside banks at all hours of the night.
So many locks and alarms.