Red4799 November 17th, 2017 6:55am

Been planning out a series of novels I'd like to write (science fiction) My favorite plots involve dark and psychological themes. What kind of dark or psychological plot lines would keep you interested in something you're reading?

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
11/18/17 9:13 am

Historical fiction. Kinda like, what would happen if the Nazis won the war, if America lost the Revolutionary War or if the North lost the Civil War, the Times of Henry the VIII, stuff like that

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/17/17 7:16 pm

I am not a fan of thrillers and horror stories masquerading as sci-fi, so I am not your target audience.

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/17/17 7:21 pm

What sort of themes or story arches would make you more likely to read a genre outside of your typical interest (not saying you would.) Themes that transcend setting and plot ?

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/17/17 11:32 pm

I enjoy a good mystery, regardless of setting. Some peril is ok, but relentless peril annoys me. I like it when a primary character grows and learns and does not keep repeating the same stupid mistakes. Perfection annoys me as well. I prefer stories that are character driven, rather than 400 page treatises on the beauty of the mountains. I will read almost anything, but I make up my mind pretty quickly if I am not going to finish it. I really don’t like a book that is poorly written, as if the editor just shuffled the pages without checking anything, even if the concept is intriguing. I have been called a critical reader by some.
...

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/17/17 11:34 pm

Lol yes my writing style might not be for you but I still appreciate the advice 👍🏻

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/17/17 2:33 pm

What if kind of things. Like, what if Hitler won. What if Fanya Yefimovna was successful in her attempts to kill Lenin? What if Franz Ferdinand was not murdered. I guess like alternative realities but I don’t read that many of them.

auntiesamm Orange County CA
11/17/17 11:50 am

None. The topics do not interest me. Good luck on your writing.

bower8899 ...
11/17/17 7:50 am

I really enjoy non-linear storytelling

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/17/17 9:57 am

There are several different story arches within the plot that follow different characters, although it is not necessarily non-linear.

bower8899 ...
11/17/17 9:59 am

Like ASOIAF? With the various storylines I mean

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/17/17 10:02 am

Yes very similar. I loved the series, and a lot of inspiration came from martins work. I used ASOIAF as a template for the structure and formatting of my own storyline.

jlong105 Indiana
11/17/17 5:29 am

Two similar plot lines stick out to me that could be sculpted into something more complete through writing.

River Tam in Firefly and Kurt Russell in Soldier. They are similar lines that they were developed into highly effective killing machines from childhood. I think through writing, one could delve deeper into these type characters psychologically and create an awesome hero/heroine.

ishady 86451132020
11/17/17 3:30 am

Always liked the stories of war with aliens that are misunderstood or fighting against human corporate interests in deep space. Of course there’s always the character who is captured by said aliens and discovers their true nature and ends up fighting against his own species to stop the slaughter.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/17/17 1:52 am

In science fiction, one of my favorite themes is technological advancement in opposition to the fact that ‘people’ themselves do not advance at the same pace as their tech. In other words, we retain our base animal instincts, tribalism, etc. ...so those “darknesses” in our character are either suppressed or amplified by our technological advancement. 🤔

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/17/17 10:00 am

Yes this was going to be the main theme of my novels. The society is a technological utopia that is essentially turned into a dystopia by human flaws.
For example, the worlds I have created are ruled by a monarch. So it is an advanced society, yet one man still rules over it with all authority.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/17/17 12:55 pm

And your characters don’t need to be human to make the point... The Krell, in Forbidden Planet being an example that many may be familiar with.

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/17/17 12:59 pm

Yes. I was going to create a division between human and nonhuman-- both would look down on the other. Also, in a future setting, there could be a division between genetically enhanced individuals, and those who aren't, which could act as a division between the rich and poor.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/18/17 12:02 am

Cherryh has some excellent series, as does Nancy Kress.