Shazam November 17th, 2017 2:42am

I consider myself a Progressive. That doesn't mean I am a Democrat. Several years ago I did a poll asking folks what party I should belong to. The original Q and link to original responses are inside. Which party do think fits best?

PB246 California
11/20/17 5:05 am

Looney! 😂

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/18/17 6:09 am

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the "Progressive" part. Not sure about the "Democrat."

ozzy
11/18/17 6:50 am

The worse label here is “progressive”. Lol

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/18/17 7:07 am

Think so? See, I believe my stances listed below should be fairly middle of the road. And most (but not all) were for the first half of my life. They're considered "progressive" now because "moderate" no longer exists. I'm cool with being called that by those who would have been shunned as Birch supporters in my younger years.

⚡️

ozzy
11/18/17 9:07 am

Sorry, but your list below is not middle of the road. It is far left, and far from anything Reagan stood for. That was never the republicans.

It’s funny because I feel the Republican Party left me by going too far to the left. And the democrats have gone waaaayyy far left.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/18/17 10:55 am

Wrong answer:
support taking care of our poor but not permitting abuse - www.heritage.org/welfare/report/reagans-bold-welfare-initiative-offers-hope-the-poor

anti-world's police - absolutely a Reagan tenet

pro-balanced budget...duh

pro sep church/state but pro rel freedom - www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/president-reagan-speech-to-temple-hillel-and-community-leaders-in-valley-stream-october-1984

pro reasonable gun control www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html

for a balance of fed/state power: library.cqpress.com/cqresearcher/document.php?id=cqresrre1981040300

Should I keep going? Not sure what I'll find on healthcare, but I know he discussed open markets, election reform and eroding middle class.

⚡️

ozzy
11/18/17 2:42 pm

I think you’ve taken Reagan out of context on a few of these

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/20/17 5:32 am

Gotcha! I post an entire speech on pro sep church/state+rel freedom, and say he was pro sep church/state+rel freedom....and I've taken him out of context. Riiiiiiight.

OZ, maybe the issue isn't in my remembering what he and the GOP used to stand for. It's in yours?

⚡️

ozzy
11/20/17 6:34 am

I don’t think so SH

ozzy
11/20/17 6:36 am

Everyone has a balance point on issues. You are stretching those of Reagan till they appear out of context. I stick with my assertion.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/20/17 1:54 pm

OZ - I fail to see how I'm stretching anything at all. I am literally saying "I am for the same thing Ronald Reagan was. Here is what he said." There is literally zero commentary associated with that one could point to as "stretching." Stick with it if you must. But you're mistaken.

⚡️

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/18/17 6:17 am

It's what I was growing up - actually started a group of HS campaigning for Reagan. We didn't do much more than put up signs (and I wasn't allowed one in my yard). During my first semester of college, I was one of the 12 leaders in the "young Republicans" at my University and met George Bush at a rally. When I did this poll, it was in response to my saying the party left me. Still feel that way. It doesn't have the same soul as it used to. Or maybe it does, but it's been possessed by the demon Pat Buchanan?

⚡️

cpaswr just say the letters
11/18/17 6:45 am

In college, I was Republican. I’ve become more liberal as I’ve gotten older. If I had to put a date on it, I would say that I was no longer Republican by the end of W’s first term.

Louderthebetter
11/16/17 10:35 pm

Progressive.

It’s official we’re twins separated at birth.

Reasonable-ists unite🤞🏼

NDAmerican Florida
11/16/17 10:03 pm

Political parties are a means of grouping voters in factions whereas the representatives of those factions fail to adhere to the policies of said faction. Not worth it honestly.

Acow Where is the Source
11/16/17 9:57 pm

I’d say you’re a liberal with slight conservative fiscal viewpoints.

Don’t try to characterize yourself into a party, it’s not worth it.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
11/16/17 8:39 pm

Back when I was first getting into politics, I wanted to find a party I could be a part of, but I found that trying to do so led to me trying to justify some of the views of these parties that I didn't necessarily agree with.

Don't tie yourself down, be an independent.

jztheman Connecticut
11/16/17 8:17 pm

Come over to the Independent side. We have cookies.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/16/17 8:54 pm

JIM! This is the poll I mentioned. Haven't shifted a bit.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/16/17 8:04 pm

Squid Party. We support things like transparency, accountability, and equality. Standards are applied equally, partisanship is banned. All are welcome.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/16/17 8:11 pm

Just for that, I'm summoning the emperor. I've heard he'll appear if you say his name 3x
@fatshadow @fatshadow @FATAHADOW

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
11/17/17 1:44 am

🤣🤣🤣🤣

FATSHADOW endorses the Squid Party whole heatedly.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/16/17 7:44 pm

ORIGINAL Q:
What party should I belong to? I am prochoice, pro-marriage equality, am cool with pot being legalized but not hard drugs, support taking care of our poor but not permitting abuse, anti-world's police, pro-balanced budget...continued inside!

pro sep church/state but pro rel freedom, pro reasonable gun control, for a balance of fed/state power, pro universal healthcare and ending HCI firms, pro open market with oversight, for election finance reform, and believe our biggest problem is the erosion of the middle-class.

bit.ly/1nPIeIG

⚡️

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
11/16/17 7:55 pm

The link isn't working for me, although I copied it exactly from SOHs. Paste this in the search function if you have a similar issue. It's the 3rd listed:

What party should I belong to?

⚡️