badattitude November 17th, 2017 12:30am

Is it racist to ask illegal immigrants that are protesting the military "why don't you just go back if you don't like it here"?

PinkLabrador
11/17/17 7:58 am

Not at all.

Quit your bitching or leave.

11/17/17 11:17 am

Right. My thoughts exactly

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
11/16/17 10:04 pm

No but it’s a loaded and laughably illogical question to ask. There’s a dramatic disconnect between the US public and what goes on in the military, so opposition to what goes on there doesn’t mean opposition to what goes on here, not that a valid solution to any problem is leaving in the first place.

AlphonsoR
11/16/17 9:39 pm

Depends on if you're asking an actual informal question or you're saying it as an insult

11/17/17 11:20 am

There were some kids that were mad at the immigrants for disrespecting the veterans in the school parade. The kids who said that to the immigrants got suspended, but the immigrants who yelled at the veterans got no punishment. I personally don't think it's racism. They could have said that to local white kids just as easily and it wouldn't be racism.

OmenGaming
11/16/17 9:37 pm

Illegal immigrants shouldnt get to protest, they should be jailed and used for labor

auntiesamm Orange County CA
11/16/17 9:26 pm

No, it is a logical question.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/16/17 8:15 pm

What brought this about? Btw-when I served in the military (under Reagan, bush & Clinton) people protested me at EVERY duty station and nearly every port call I went. I was denigrated and assaulted. Guess what? They were all American citizens. Granted....I didn’t check ID. However....they were always Caucasian and cursed at me in the best English so I’m making an assumption. It was because of me that they had their right to assemble and speak freely.

11/16/17 8:16 pm

The kids were mad at the immigrants for disrespecting the veterans in the school parade. The kids that said that to the immigrants got suspended, but the immigrants who yelled at the veterans got no punishment.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
11/16/17 8:53 pm

Breck, you have said this a few times, but with no context. A link would help me understand more about what happened.

11/16/17 10:54 pm

They were interviewing the kids from the school on the radio this morning while I was driving to work. It's a high school in Minnesota. But what more do you need to know to answer the question. It's straight forward. Is it racist to tell kids that are new to this country and hate it here to just leave if they hate it so much? I mean, is it racist for people yelling at a movie how much they hate it to just leave if they hate it so much? I don't think it has anything to do with rascism. You're just telling people that you think that they would be happier someplace else.

missmorganmarie ...
11/17/17 9:55 am

i just tried to google it and found no links or anything about this story

11/17/17 11:17 am

Sorry. I'll try and look. They had the kids and parents being interviewed yesterday on the radio. I will let you know.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
11/17/17 11:36 am

Breck, that helps, but I still have a few questions. I suspect that both sides were somewhat wrong. However, it probably wasn’t racist. I answered “no” to the poll.

I understand that you may not have these answers, from just a radio broadcast, but here are some of the things I wonder about.

Were the protestors students? (If not, the school couldn’t do anything to them, of course, thus the uneven treatment.)

What did the protesters actually say or do? You say they were disrespectful, but how?

You call them “illegals,” but I wish I really knew that. Not all immigrants are illegal and many have become American citizens.

Did the students yell anything else? How did the school justify the suspension? If they did include racial epithets, that would change things.

And keep in mind that, if they were interviewing the students, you heard only their side.

11/17/17 12:09 pm

Well, let's see. All the kids were students at the same high school. The Somali kids may or may not have been illegals. One of the kids said they were but who knows. The Somali kids yelled murderers at the old veterans at the parade on the basketball floor. Then some blocked them and took a knee. The white conservative kids told them to stop making trouble and to go home if they hated it here so much. Then the Somali kids threatened to tear their arms off and beat them to death. The principle said that the Somalis had a first amendment right to protest but the other kids couldn't say anything or it would be racist. I don't believe what they said was racism. I think they're biased and trying to be politically correct. They don't want to punish the Somali kids because they're afraid of reprisals from the left.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
11/17/17 1:00 pm

If that’s exactly what happened, the principal was wrong. He should have either punished all of them or none of them.

The Somali kids actually DO have a First Amendment right to protest. The other kids EQUALLY have a First Amendment right to argue with them. None of what they said was racist (assuming that’s really all that was said).

11/17/17 1:28 pm

Thank you for the voice of reason. I agree with you.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/17/17 1:51 pm

Actually, if they are not citizens then they have NO Constitutional rights in America.

11/17/17 2:00 pm

I thought that too. And I get confused listening to the big heads talking about it. Some rights are for everyone and some are only for citizens. Any idea about the rules?

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/17/17 2:27 pm

As far as I know all rights granted by the constitution are for America’s citizens only.

11/17/17 2:34 pm

I think you're right. But now they're saying that rights like speech is a human right. I don't know where they get that. But there's some lawsuits regarding illegals and the right to free council. Which is obviously a constitutional right.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
11/17/17 2:37 pm

According to this, non-citizens living in the United States do have constitutional rights.

www.learnliberty.org/blog/t-he-constitutional-rights-of-noncitizens/

“Noncitizens undeniably have a wide range of rights under the Constitution. Indeed, within the borders of the United States, they have most of the same rights as citizens do, and longstanding Supreme Court precedent bans most state laws discriminating against noncitizens. There is little if any serious controversy among experts over this matter.”

The article goes on to say that *a few* specific constitutional rights are reserved for citizens. An example is the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Article IV, Section 2.

Then, it states, “That a few constitutional rights may be specifically reserved to citizens underscores the broader principle that the vast majority are not. There would be no need to specify such a reservation if the Constitution had a default rule limiting rights to citizens.”

11/17/17 2:41 pm

Interesting. Thanks. Liberal logic that a rule that specifically says citizens. Would apply to non citizens.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
11/17/17 2:51 pm

I’m confused, breck. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the article I linked?

If you are disagreeing, it appears that you may have misread that last part. Your comment is not actually what it says.

Also, I have no idea whether that source is conservative, liberal or neutral. I’m not a lawyer, but this strikes me ad a legal question, not an ideological question.

11/17/17 2:57 pm

No, I agree with what you sent. Thanks. I just don't agree with the judges decision on some of these things. I mean, how far do we let these rights go? We don't let them vote. But why not if we allow the other rights. Where do they draw the line?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
11/17/17 3:32 pm

We draw the line by reading what the law says and applying it. Voting laws *specifically say* that voting is for citizens only. The First Amendment, however, does *not say* that free speech is only for citizens. I don’t think it’s that hard if we read the law.

Of course, the law can be changed, but if not, we should follow it.

11/17/17 3:34 pm

I see your point, it has to specifically say for citizens. Because I don't think aliens can buy guns either. Thanks.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/17/17 4:18 pm

Pretty sure no felon can own guns. Invaders are felons (or should be).

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/16/17 7:39 pm

Nor necessarily racist, unless bigotry is the core motivation, but dikish in the extreme in every instance.

11/16/17 8:15 pm

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/16/17 8:19 pm

More poor parenting. At this rate we just aren’t ever going to get better.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/16/17 7:11 pm

No, it's a logical question to ask.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/16/17 7:06 pm

It's not because it's in regard to their actions because of their actions, not their actions as a consequence of their race.

11/17/17 11:24 am

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/17/17 1:17 pm

I didn't say it was racist, I said it's not

LibArtie SW Connecticut
11/16/17 7:33 pm

WRF as in why this stupid poll question exists.

11/16/17 8:15 pm