FacePalm November 16th, 2017 5:44am

You are in a heated debate that is obviously going nowhere. Is it important to you for you to have the last word, or do you walk away while your “opponent” is still pressing their case?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
11/17/17 12:13 pm

If civility went out the window, and the other person is too narrow minded to see my opinion? Half the time it's either agreed the conversation is over because we can't agree (depending on who I.m arguing with) or I'll throw up my hands, yell screw this or something stupid and stomp off like an idiot

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/16/17 4:02 am

If I’m bored enough (and I know it’s somebody who can help themselves but to always bite the bait), I’ll string them along for a while for my own amusement. But most commonly I’ll say what I have to say and then I don’t really care about (nor always even read) what they respond with.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
11/16/17 7:44 am

Yeah, there are many on here whose chains I️ love to yank. And they’re deluded and OCD enough to think that the last word means that they a) won the argument, and b) have cowed me. It’s sad.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/16/17 10:26 am

It tends to be the unemployed, stay at home dads of this app that will always bite my bait. Already feeling like enough of a failure because their wife is the breadwinner, they have to turn to an app to get their feeling of accomplishment for the day. As long as they get the last word, who cares that they’ve thoroughly made a fool of themselves 🤣

ctskapski x
11/16/17 12:59 am

It really depends on whether or not the other person is attempting to reason the issue.
If they're using reason, there's a foothold for the debate which could lead to resolution.

SuperAgain They lie, Get Over It
11/15/17 11:54 pm

In a one-to-one debate, the sensible thing is to never argue with a fool, liar, or zealot. That would be a waste of your time. ...but sometimes your arguments are there for the audience rather than for your “opponent.” 🤔

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 11:34 pm

I usually try to but it sometimes tempting if there is something on my in regards to their comments.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/16/17 1:57 am

I do not believe in agree TO disagree. We can agree that we do disagree, however.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/16/17 5:00 am

FP, what is the difference, in your mind, between “agree to disagree” and “agree that we disagree.”

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/16/17 2:27 pm

It is just semantics, probably. In cases where the other person is factually incorrect the idea of agreeing to disagree feels like allowing their argument to have validity, which it does not.

I also don't believe in respecting an opinion that is nonsense. I respect the right to have an opinion, but I reserve the right to call it out if it is garbage.

phalnx Ohio
11/15/17 10:57 pm

I never walk away from a good fight...I'm stubborn like that.