ProudAmerican45 November 16th, 2017 12:22am

49% in favor of mandatory military service for the youth..agree or disagree

lightsabr2 The Big Sky
11/16/17 8:02 am

Nope. In the highly technical, highly specialized modern military, what’s really needed is the enthusiasm and motivation to do the job right and with pride. I’d be worried that baby sitting the conscripts would eat so much time that efficiency actually goes down.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/16/17 5:08 am

The major problem is that those who wouldn't serve are relying on the very few to do all of the heavy lifting. If an all volunteer force cannot attract enough people, standards will have to be reduced and there goes your quality. At least the Israelis, vastly outnumbered, know that they can rely on all of their citizens in times of crisis and terror!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/15/17 7:38 pm

Works in Russia and Israel

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/15/17 7:34 pm

I see the appeal but I believe it imposes on fundamental liberty.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/15/17 10:21 pm

Enough of you with that attitude, you won't have to worry about individual liberty. By the way, the decline of the Roman Empire began when citizens thought themselves too good to serve in the Navy or the Legions.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/16/17 5:52 am

People don't think they're too good. It's quite the opposite. People think if they don't go to college they'll be unemployed become homeless and die. It's that drastic.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/16/17 6:58 am

Finny, you really have to stop listening to the Democrats and their lying Media lackeys. President Trump is doing great things because he has management expertise. If he gets the tax reduction that he wants, just as happened under Kennedy and Reagan, our economy will get a great shot in the arm. I have no idea of what the Democrats stand for anymore. Their goal seems to be only to regain the power that they totally misused and abused. Our big cities are all controlled by Democrats who only know how to mis-manage. I am a cynical retired engineering manager who has not been this enthusiastic about the future of our Country for a very long time!

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/16/17 7:12 am

I'm not listening to Democrats? I'm going off the generational difference and how many friends and people I know who've tried to kill themselves because they thought they wouldn't get into a good college.

I'm not saying there's merit to the claim that if you don't go to college that you'll become homeless and die, I'm saying that's what a lot of this generation THINKS it's their MINDSET.

Nor do I prescribe to group think (just because I'm a conservative I'm going to agree with all of them and their notions - no)

Nor do I think that it's due to "softness". The expectations and demands have raised due to advancing technology and feminization of society. The students aren't soft, the society is becoming soft.

Though, I do believe it imposes on liberty to demand service thus I don't think this is the right way to "harden" students / young folks

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/16/17 7:14 am

It would actually be another demand and barrier to the childhood this generation never got as it's all about college and protection from a very young age.

We have no time to be kids because parents have sheltered us and forced us into programs for our "benefit" to get into college - sports, volunteer, clubs, school, extra programs, etc.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/16/17 7:48 am

Finny, I was trying, in a possibly awkward way, to suggest that there is more reason for optimism than pessimism. You are correct in questioning the need for college. We have too many lawyers in this Country and not enough skilled technicians with AAS degrees. If you do something that you like to do, you will do it well. If you worry about things that you cannot control, you are wasting time and effort. When I was working in Colorado, we had assembly line employees who had Forestry degrees from CSU. Unfortunately, nobody had counseled them that their major would lead them to an overcrowded field. Pushing a child toward a field that holds no attraction for him or her, is a disservice. Many people, without degrees, have done well for themselves, simply by working for, and growing with a startup company. Don't panic. Be alert for opportunities!

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/16/17 8:06 am

I don't think you're understanding my point at all

Acow Where is the Source
11/15/17 7:33 pm

I️ see two really good points here. Military service teaches great characteristics like discipline, humility, and service, but requiring everyone to be in the military brings down the quality of the service.

A mandatory basic training and non-combat position would be great.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/15/17 10:24 pm

Switzerland has done pretty well with the approach and Hitler never considered conquering them!

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/15/17 7:03 pm

Disagree....as a vet & former navy recruiter. The majority of Americans don't even qualify for the most basic level of enlisted military service. They are too fat, stupid & lazy. Look in a mirror....80% chance that's you. Sorry...but that's a fact. I don't want your Ritalin sucking, pantywaist, entitled mama's boys in a foxhole with me. The military is challenging enough without forcing these losers in to be ied sponges.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
11/15/17 7:04 pm

Agree..amen! That’s what my husband said..

presrvd Phoenix
11/15/17 8:14 pm

Don't sugar-coat it Squid. Tell us how you really feel. =)

I also agree whole-heartedly.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/15/17 10:27 pm

The Navy changed my life for the good. We used to say service will make you or break you.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/16/17 4:33 am

Same for me Harry.

presrvd Phoenix
11/16/17 4:56 am

Same, except I went the Army route...

presrvd Phoenix
11/15/17 6:39 pm

No. The best fighting force is an all-volunteer fighting force. Forcing someone who doesn't want to be there brings down morale, and increases risk for everyone around them...

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/15/17 10:32 pm

Do you think that happened in WWII? At the start of the Civil War, troops could only march ten miles a day. By the end, they routinely marched thirty miles a day.

presrvd Phoenix
11/16/17 4:55 am

I do. Conscription causes resentment, and resentment is toxic to the team dynamic.

Malekithe Lets go Rangers
11/15/17 6:07 pm

"Service guarantees citizenship"

abusara i drink and i know things
11/15/17 5:39 pm

It's an idea with some merit. Not much, but some.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/15/17 5:26 pm

Our education system has gone past failing, and now threatens to destroy the nation from within. Kids should have an associate’s degree by 16, then serve a mandatory 2 years in the military in a NON combat role. Those that are worthy to stay own have a career. Those that don’t learn valuable life lessons/skills that will aid them forever.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/16/17 5:26 am

A strong democracy cannot tolerate citizenry that would not fight to support it. "A people who value security over liberty deserve neither." - B. Franklin. "The United States can only be defeated from within." - A. Lincoln. The next time you need help, ask a "Snowflake"!

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
11/15/17 5:25 pm

Stupid. Conscription only ensures quantity, not quality.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/15/17 10:35 pm

Somehow @Prince, I suspect someone of your quality would avoid the draft by moving to Canada.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
11/15/17 11:24 pm

You'd suspect wrong. My ancestors sent two men to reunite the union and three men to gain its independence. if we're in such desperate straits again I'd serve if called.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/15/17 11:56 pm

My apologies, Lee told Grant that if he had as many Irish under his command as Grant, he would have won the war.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
11/16/17 8:20 am

I'm not Irish...I'm descended from Englishmen. Puritans specifically on my mother's side.