DerekWills November 15th, 2017 2:33pm

Do you consider it a violation of the Commandment to not take the Name of G-d in vain if you tell someone you will pray for them with no intention of actually doing so?

liam2013 iowa
11/20/17 7:10 pm

I think it is the silliest commandment. Is God so vain?

martyt02
11/16/17 4:15 pm

With no intention ... false an hypicritical

thebarr
11/16/17 10:20 am

Dennis Prager has a great explanation of this (and the others) Commandment.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/15/17 9:55 pm

That is a really good question. I am inclined to say no. It is a lie, however.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/15/17 5:53 pm

I hate to admit it but this is a great question.

I would say yes. It’s not only a law about blasphemy. We are to sanctify G-d’s name and saying you will do something good in his name and not meaning to do it, would be to diminish his importance in the eyes of others who might find out and in your own heart.
So yes, I think it is

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
11/15/17 1:49 pm

Most people don't know Gods name... (yahwah)

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/15/17 2:09 pm

That’s not how it’s pronounced. No one knows how His Name is pronounced. Depending on the vowel sounds, it could be one of a myriad of variations.

(Check your private messages!)

mark4
11/15/17 10:51 am

Very interesting poll question.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/15/17 10:14 am

💠 DerekWills asked:
11/15/2017

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
11/15/17 10:17 am

I don’t ever do that. When I tell someone I’ll pray for them, I do so IMMEDIATELY. My memory is bad, so I do it then, in case I forget to pray again later. At least then, I know that I’ve prayed for them at least once. Then, as (if) I remember them later, I’ll pray again.

Hubby has a habit of doing this WITH people. If they ask him to pray, he’ll say, “Let’s pray right now,” and pray for them then. That way they know for SURE that he is praying for them, and it’s not just an empty promise.

Sometimes, I’ll even do that here in a poll.

...

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/15/17 9:35 am

I totally miss read it. No it’s not

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/15/17 9:35 am

Yes and no. One violates God’s law one doe not. In a manner of speaking it does because it is
Telling a lie .

BrokenMirror free speech
11/15/17 8:53 am

Kind of, from what I've read the emphasis it puts on blasphemy (sin in it's own right, don't get me wrong) is the result of a mistranslation of the Hebrew, which some scholars now suggest is mainly commanding that The only sin that God would not forgive of the Jews before Christ's sacrifice is to use his name to justify evil deeds or to CARRY his name in vain.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
11/15/17 8:50 am

No. That’s called lying. Taking His name in vain requires that you actually use His name inappropriately.

MrMilkdud
11/15/17 8:45 am

I️ don’t think so because you aren’t actually invoking the name of God. Its not good if they’re saying it insincerely, obviously, and that could rise to the level of blasphemy. But not all blasphemy involves taking God’s name in vain.

I️ can’t actually imagine someone doing what you’re describing, though. I don’t even know if it’s possible because just that brief act of sincerely expressing a desire for God to intervene is itself a form of prayer.

kscott516 Masks fail
11/15/17 8:20 am

No, it’s a violation of thou shalt not bear false witness against your neighbor.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/15/17 8:26 am

There’s a difference between lying and perjury. That Commandment deals with perjury specifically.

kscott516 Masks fail
11/15/17 10:00 am

The only difference between the two is location. Both are lies and the same in God’s eyes.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/15/17 10:17 am

Actually they’re not. Both Jewish and Christian doctrine makes a distinct difference between general lying and perjury.

kscott516 Masks fail
11/15/17 10:53 am

Are you suggesting the Commandment only refers to lying in court?

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/15/17 11:31 am

Jewish doctrine specifically defines this Commandment as perjury. Many Christian doctrines (including Catholic if I’m not mistaking) also specifically identify perjury.

kscott516 Masks fail
11/15/17 2:57 pm

I would argue that God does not want us lying ever, not just in a court of laws made by men.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/15/17 3:26 pm

Of course He doesn’t, but “bearing false witness” is a very specific type of lying, with potentially detrimental consequences.

kscott516 Masks fail
11/15/17 3:34 pm

Bearing false witness is attempting to claim something true that is untrue. It doesn’t matter if it’s in court or not and there are many examples in the Bible that support this. It’s a Commandment meant to not lie at any time.