Tariq88 November 14th, 2017 8:15pm

Inspired by obvious and recent polls; How do you view the Hjab? (Headcover and modest dress for women in Islam.)

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
11/16/17 12:36 pm

I don't believe it's a religious obligation. But seeing how many western countries, and many Muslim countries, have been victimized, especially in recent years, we see more and more women chose to wear it. Back in the 7th century it was cultural and frankly practical for people to cover up in the sandy environment. Nowadays it seems to be functioning more as a tool by which women find gender empowerment and as a resistance to oppression. So largely positive.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/16/17 3:53 pm

Conversely, some women feel empowerment in ceasing to wear it. It’s an individual thing.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
11/16/17 10:48 pm

Yes, particularly in nations like Iran where it is obligatory. However it must be noted that there are very few nations with such legal requirements. Contrary to popular belief, I think there are only two or three.

ozzy
11/15/17 6:16 am

Slavery

Kahunahammer west
11/15/17 4:49 am

As long as there is no Packer emblem on it, it is fine

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/15/17 2:42 am

It’s a piece of cloth. If women want to wear it for religious or cultural reasons, they can wear it. If they don’t want to wear it, that’s fine too.

Think Lovin Life
11/14/17 11:28 pm

Wear whatever you want, but when it’s time to identify yourself, you must show yourself.

Think Lovin Life
11/15/17 12:03 pm

Drivers license photos, and any interaction with law enforcement officials.

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
11/15/17 2:09 pm

The only time you have to be identified is in the process, after the fact or a suspicion of crime.

Think Lovin Life
11/15/17 2:26 pm

Robert ... so when there’s a group of masked individuals — like the fascist numbskulls that call themselves AntiFa — commit violent acts while masked, should all members be charged with the crimes?

Think Lovin Life
11/15/17 2:32 pm

Robert ... I’ll simplify for you. A group of masked individuals is involved in a violent protest. One masked member uses their bike lock in a sock weapon to crush the skull of an innocent bystander, should all of the masked individuals be charged with the violent attack?

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
11/15/17 2:51 pm

The police should do their job and investigate.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/14/17 7:55 pm

If it’s a choice, great. If the woman is forced to wear it.....not great

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
11/14/17 7:46 pm

I view it as piece of clothing associated with the Muslim faith.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/14/17 6:40 pm

If it’s a choice, I think it’s fine. No one should be forced to wear it.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/14/17 6:14 pm

Same way I would a yarmulke or other religious garb. Don’t care.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/14/17 5:58 pm

I would faint dead away from the heat.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/14/17 9:14 pm

You’re not kidding. I felt sorry, when I’ve seen families at theme parks - everyone is in shorts and tee shirts except the mother, who must be so uncomfortable covered up like that.

GayForJesus
11/14/17 5:57 pm

Oppressive without logical reasoning

voc I am...what I am
11/14/17 4:28 pm

Whatever floats your boat.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
11/14/17 4:05 pm

Very oppressive. Females are shamed from birth that they are less than men, that they must be covered up. It isn’t a choice, its indoctrination to keep women in their place. Wearing a disguise in public, covered from head to toe, is also a safety issue.

Maat wisdom listens
11/14/17 3:33 pm

Women should be free to dress as they choose.

MrsCrayonWax
11/14/17 3:28 pm

I’d never wear one (outside of a funeral service in a mosque out of respect) but women should be free to do as they choose and not be harassed.

historylover
11/14/17 3:27 pm

I see it as a sign of true oppression.

abusara i drink and i know things
11/14/17 2:59 pm

Don't wear one. Don't care if you do.

mitchman399 Oregon
11/14/17 2:51 pm

If you want to wear for it go for it. If you don't want to wear it don't.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/14/17 2:41 pm

Restraining. Hair ones not so bad. The ones that totally cover everything not so much.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/15/17 2:45 am

Full-body coverings are different clothing articles entirely.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
11/16/17 12:38 pm

A hijab only covers the hair. A niqab covers everything except the eyes, and a burqa covers the eyes with a mesh, I believe.

snagglepuss Story Time
11/14/17 2:33 pm

As a woman I feel sad that they are treated as their bodies need to be hidden.

martyt02
11/14/17 2:29 pm

1. What is the reason muslim women are required to wear it?
2. Would a muslim woman choose to wear one if she lived in a completely female world?
The answers two those two questions would give me comfort in expressing an opinion about this. Otherwise, I would have to say my opinion doesn’t matter

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/15/17 2:48 am

1. Culture, which is based on religion. Same as many clothing choices here, just a little more explicitly stated.

2. According to my understanding, when in the company of only females, most (not all) women elect to remove the hijab.

martyt02
11/15/17 12:48 pm

Wherever women wear a hijab to express their religious identity from choice, I agree with it. Women should have a choice.
Wherever women are forced to wear them, even when they would choose not to, I disagree with it.

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 4:03 pm

Yes, correct they are aloud to remove it when around family and at home. Also it is a choice and not a requirement as far as the teachings of Islam go. I am not scholar or expert, so many others would know better than me, however from my understanding women who choose to do so for devotion to their God because Islam teaches modesty for both Men and Women not because a human body is bad or disgusting but for respect for ones self and to just boast and show of your body. Also the Hijab specifically is meant to protect a woman from harassment and unwanted attention so you can respect a woman for her personality and not just her body. So it is more for her own respect and not oppression.

playum
11/14/17 2:15 pm

It’s become a symbol of oppression & inequality if women in Muslim society. A constant reminder of an entire civilization stuck in the ignorant, barbaric dark ages.

(At least to us non-Muslims)

MrsCrayonWax
11/14/17 3:30 pm

Head coverings are worn by more than just Muslim women, FYI,

anniepoops wisco fever
11/14/17 2:11 pm

I think if that’s how they want to express themselves, you go for it. It’s all about choice for me.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/14/17 2:10 pm

An instrument of Islamic oppression.

lj74
11/14/17 4:32 pm

The Muslim women I have spoken to Glux generally have no objection.

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 3:44 pm

Some choose to wear and some don't. I am not a scholar but from my understanding it is prescribed and encouraged by the teachings of Islam and required or forced, and ultimately is the woman's choice. Most women, well actually all the women I know who wear to choose to wear it because it is important to them because of their faith. I also know there are women who choose not to as well. In both scenarios I have noticed leave it to be there choice and don't have a problem with it either way.

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 3:47 pm

I meant to say it is not forced or required. Prescibed but forced.

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 3:49 pm

I also meant to say their families leave it to be their personal choice.

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 3:51 pm

To simply answer your question gluxford, yes western choose to do so.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/15/17 4:00 pm

Not all Muslims are western Muslims and the western ones don't know what it's like to be forced to wear the burqa or hijab or suffer the horrible consequences that their Islamic theocratic government or the husband that was forced on them will surely dole out. Their choice is "Cover up or get acid thrown in your face".

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 4:09 pm

I know gluxford. Most Muslims do not condone that behavior. Islam itself does not teach that. It is horrible that that happens and is a reality. Countries pass horrible laws for Islam but they do so in a way that is extreme goes out of the boundaries of Islam. Culture as well families and husbands influenced by culture do it as well, and is without a doubt horrible and unacceptable.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/15/17 4:14 pm

Unfortunately most Muslims do condone this behavior or else there would be more speaking out against these practices instead of simply dismissing and ignoring them. I wish more of them followed your example.

Tariq88 Utah
11/15/17 4:20 pm

People do here and there, but yes sadly you are right not all do it and maybe not enough.

lj74
11/14/17 2:05 pm

Have no issue with it

voc I am...what I am
11/14/17 4:27 pm

Wow, really? Good for you!

lj74
11/14/17 4:31 pm

Why would I?

The burqas is another matter, but purely from a security perspective.

voc I am...what I am
11/14/17 4:34 pm

I’ve always seen you as very conservative. A lot of conservatives on here hate Muslims and anything to do with them, as can be seen in some comments in this poll. It’s just nice to see not all think this way.

MrAmerica Peaceful protestor
11/14/17 10:40 pm

I’m in agreement with Ij74 on both his comments regarding hijabs and burqas. If they choose to wear a hijab, then I don’t see a problem.

lj74
11/15/17 4:01 pm

I have served and worked with several Muslims as well as serving in a couple of Muslim countries while in the military as well. And yes, I am an independent conservative.
I do not have an issue with someone because of their religion. I do have an issue with those in a religion that commit acts of terrorism allegedly on behalf of their religion or who do not speak out against those who do so allegedly in the name of their religion. Difference.

voc I am...what I am
11/15/17 9:12 pm

Thanks for your service

Did you let the Muslims you served with know your feelings and did they denounce it or were they ok with it?

catpillow Florida West Coast
11/14/17 2:04 pm

Personally, I love the way my hair looks and the feeling of my hair flowing freely and blowing in the wind. I would never cover it.
For others, I think women (and men) should wear whatever is right for them. I don’t agree with clothing being forced on (or off of) a person for any reason. So, if women want to wear a hijab, then I’m all for it. If they are forced to wear one, I’m against it.

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
11/14/17 1:16 pm

I see it as like any other article of clothing....

Tariq88 Utah
11/14/17 1:15 pm

Hijab* Sorry.

Tariq88 Utah
11/14/17 1:28 pm

Please, honest thoughts don't feel the need to be PC. I will not judge. However I may just share my thoughts and views.