DonWichita Kansas
11/18/17 5:33 pm

Did once for two weeks in 1964 at $50 a week.
I was so embarrassed I took a 40 hour a week job that paid $1/hr. Instead.

hannahanderson Sammamish, WA
11/18/17 12:54 am

I have health issues and, despite applying for it and being unemployed for two years (19-21(which is now)) haven’t gotten anything. I’m struggling to get a sustainable job while living with my parents. I couldn’t be less surprised by the age gap in the results- quite in line with the dramatic drop historically in minimum wage. (If the minimum wage in the 1968 kept up with productivity and inflation, today it would be $26/hour)

OldLady
11/16/17 2:33 pm

Many years ago I worked at a mall beauty shop that closed. I collected for 6 months. Then went back to school

otisfuzz Georgia
11/15/17 1:53 pm

In my early 20's. I got laid off from a major health insurer. I got a 4 month full package and then I collected 10 months of unemployment. This was after 9/11 when they extended the benefit. It was then I realized I can sit home and veg and be perfectly content. Too bad I never found someone to fund that for me. So I had to get a real job.

MotoGeneral308 home
11/14/17 6:56 pm

I used to get laid off over the winter for a month. They always gave me the paperwork but I never did it. Just not acceptable for me to take taxpayer money for nothing. I did that for three years.

hazhap1 Las Vegas
11/14/17 8:21 pm

Generally speaking unemployment benefits are not taxpayer funded. Companies pay into a state unemployment fund, and unless it’s a serious emergency (like a few years back) the government just runs the program but doesn’t fund it.

MotoGeneral308 home
11/27/17 8:14 pm

In my case I work for the government.

smoothboy1982 Lexington Ky
11/14/17 4:24 pm

I milked it for the 99 weeks Obama gave! Thank you Democrats

pollman00
11/14/17 12:16 pm

My whole life. Never worked a day in my life.

auntiesamm Orange County CA
11/14/17 12:08 pm

20 years ago for 6 weeks until starting a new job.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
11/14/17 9:43 am

No. The only time I qualified for it was when I was discharged from the Navy. I got a job the second day I returned home.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
11/14/17 9:13 am

I was “laid-off” from Space Camp when the re-organized, so I did then.

BrokenMirror free speech
11/14/17 8:58 am

Students technically aren't unemployed.

sea California
11/14/17 8:42 am

Technically yes when I collected money for paternity leave.

gonzoboy Northern AZ
11/14/17 8:18 am

Never have. *Never qualified.

*Never qualified, so far!

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/14/17 5:50 am

Thankfully no, before I started with the company that I worked 36yrs for & retired, I wasn’t working for a couple of months, but didn’t even apply for it.

yeliretan
11/14/17 1:20 am

I should have. I’ve had health issues and at one point was out of work for 9 months and wish I could have had some help but I never applied because I kept being told I would have a job soon and they kept delaying it

Spiritof76 USA 1776
11/13/17 11:59 pm

Thankfully, no. If I ever had to collect unemployment, it would be very temporary. I would force myself to work practically 24/7 to secure a new job.

Flowbro Utah
11/13/17 11:38 pm

This is shocking

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/13/17 11:04 pm

Never came up, been straight employed since my high school job.

phalnx Ohio
11/13/17 9:11 pm

Yes, I used to claim 2-3 weeks every year when I worked for my last company. They were a Big 3 Auto subcontractor, and when they shut down their assembly lines for a few weeks to retool, we shut down with them. It was typically 2 weeks in the summer and 2 in the winter.

At my current company, for the first few years, there were some weeks where I was On-Call and they never called me for work, or would only call me for one day. In those instances, I'd file for either full or partial benefits for those weeks.

JulieB The Lake House
11/13/17 11:09 pm

It seems to me the company should pay for those times, since its due to the company's schedule. Or leave it as unpaid leave, although that might cause them to lose good employees. I don't see why something scheduled like this would get paid out through unemployment.

phalnx Ohio
11/13/17 11:31 pm

That's the way it works. If you work full-time for a company, and they lay you off...even if it's just for a couple weeks...you're entitled to unemployment benefits.

They are paying for it, actually...I don't know what the exact percentage is, but they contribute to the benefits fund.

JulieB The Lake House
11/14/17 7:36 pm

That may be how it is set up, but that doesn't mean it's right. It's gaming the system, by both the company and the employees.

ShawPPM1214 Washington
11/13/17 9:00 pm

Might have to in a few weeks. I started a new job last month in an elementary school special needs class. This week several students have been pulled from the program. If one more leaves...then I'll most likely be layed off. I'm on the bottom of the totem pole.......I subbed in this class for a whole year last school year, and this school year I decided to take the plunge and get hired on as fulltime staff. Looks like that was a mistake. :( :( :( :( 😢

katerina13 stuck in the middle
11/13/17 8:54 pm

I wish I hadn’t, but I had no choice. I was laid off, lived alone with $10k credit card debt. It lasted six months, and right as it ran out, I was offered a job making less than the last. But I gladly took it!

BlackC
11/13/17 8:37 pm

I did but was a huge pain in the ass for the little amount of money one gets

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/13/17 8:35 pm

Could have once, but didn't want to.

Wizzobutter
11/13/17 8:34 pm

Only once, after getting laid off at age 53 after 31 years as an accountant. I also got a full year's severance pay and they paid me for the next four weeks, since they did not give me or my co-workers a 30 day notice. They then called me back for a retirement party and I still get invited to the annual Christmas party. How cool is that? My three co-workers all found good jobs and I ended up retiring to take care of my autistic brother.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/13/17 8:09 pm

A couple weeks over the years. Consider yourself fortunate if you never need to.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/13/17 7:57 pm

No, because I've never qualified for it, but if I ever do, I'll take it.

him420 California
11/13/17 7:45 pm

I collected it for 1 week just for fun when I retired

BlackC
11/13/17 8:41 pm

Happy for you but I found it a bureaucratic nightmare

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/14/17 6:28 pm

I agreed. It was about 2-3 weeks before they would even give me anything. And then they abruptly stopped and wouldn’t even tell me why.

BlackC
11/14/17 6:31 pm

I tried and did all their rules but found out all it caused was trouble for me whereas people that abuse the system that don’t follow the rules get paid right away

4Freedom1776
11/13/17 7:23 pm

Yes while going through trade school. I’d have class during the day for a whole week. The state compensated us for that time. Much obliged.

susanr Colorado
11/13/17 7:17 pm

No. The only time it was a possibility was when my postdoc job was terminated. (NIH funding had been reduced and the PI in the lab where I was working didn't get a major grant renewed, and had to cut back on research and staff.)

I thought about it, but it was questionable whether my postdoc position was even eligible for unemployment (it was in a weird spot legally), plus I wanted to move out of state soon anyway, and my understanding was that it would cut off then.

I decided that since I was 64 I might as well just decide I was retired. I probably wasn't going to find another job in my field, either, competing against an overabundance of newly trained postdocs (who could be paid even less than I was).

ovcourse 8646 Commiefornia
11/13/17 7:12 pm

A year after high school, I got laid off from Ford during the Arab oil embargo in the late 70’s. I collected unemployment for 6 months, and just as it was about to expire, I found a job that paid less, but allowed me to make a living. I eventually got wise and went to college. My degree has afforded me a good living.

CleverUserID Dayton, OH
11/13/17 7:05 pm

I have had to. I didn't want to, but I paid into it and earned the right. It wasn't truly enough to live on normally, so thankfully I had significant savings. It just barely got me through a very difficult time, though, so I'm glad it was there.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
11/13/17 6:59 pm

As an aside, if anybody needs a job move to Iowa!! We have 4% unemployment and you can't go five feet without running into a "Help Wanted" sign. We don't have enough people to do all the work that needs to get done.

4Freedom1776
11/13/17 7:25 pm

You know it! Where you from?

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
11/13/17 6:57 pm

No, because I've been employed continuously since I turned 16 in 2011. I've held multiple jobs for most of that time, too.

MachoMatt84 Climbing Mountains
11/13/17 6:50 pm

Unemployment? No. Panties? 😎

Kay41 the Midwest
11/13/17 6:50 pm

Thankfully, I've not needed to. I've been in the same place of employment since I graduated college in 1988.

cowboy Dawns Highway
11/13/17 6:47 pm

No. I’ve always worked.

bower8899 ...
11/13/17 6:56 pm

Some people don't have a choice

IEatzCookies Alderaan
11/13/17 8:04 pm

Bower, you realize not every conversation you have has to turn into an argument, right?

bower8899 ...
11/13/17 8:11 pm

This is a political debate forum

cowboy Dawns Highway
11/13/17 8:18 pm

It’s the internet. Idiots will argue over anything.

IEatzCookies Alderaan
11/13/17 8:48 pm

"political debate forum" dude, they literally just asked whether you split your Oreos into multiple pieces before you eat them. I wouldn't exactly call this an intellectual space for discussion.

bower8899 ...
11/13/17 8:54 pm

It is primarily a political debate forum. I am however sorry if I seem confrontational

yeliretan
11/14/17 1:24 am

I’m not sure if I would see it as a primarily political forum 🤔 it’s a mix. Lots of food and entertainment and product preferences. People can see things differently though, that’s okay.