jstahl November 13th, 2017 10:59pm

Do you stick with the classics for Thanksgiving dinner (stuffing, yams, etc) or do you have any out of the ordinary dishes?

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/13/17 8:46 pm

Traditional, but vegan. Trader Joe’s has a wonderful stuffed turkey-less roast with vegan gravy. Then we have vegan green bean casserole, mashed potatoes (though I’m thinking mashed cauliflower this year), and Pillsbury crescent rolls, which happen to be vegan.

susanr Colorado
11/14/17 6:01 pm

Have you tried mashed cauliflower before? I like it a *lot* but I put in one or two things that are pretty high in butterfat (and in mashed potatoes, I would use butter). I have a number of recipes for mashed cauliflower that include butter and/or sour cream, but my favorite includes smoked Gouda cheese. (It also includes bacon, but I've never used that because my daughter is vegetarian, and I often share the dish with her.)

Do you include something creamy or otherwise high in fat in your mashed potatoes, or don't you try to reproduce that effect? I was vegan for some years, and I remember tinkering with various things (probably mostly soy, like soy milk and tofu) to get a "creaminess" effect.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/14/17 6:31 pm

Whenever I make mashed potatoes, I substitute olive oil for butter and almond milk for milk. They aren’t quite as creamy, though, I will admit. I’ve never been very good at making creamy mashed potatoes. As far as mashed cauliflower, I have made it before. I steam the cauliflower first, so that makes it closer to the consistency of mashed potatoes. I add some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/13/17 7:49 pm

A combination of traditional and some Puerto Rican and Chinese. We have an eclectic family makeup.

susanr Colorado
11/13/17 4:16 pm

A combination, usually, in recent years. My daughter is vegetarian; her husband and I are not, and it's usually just the 3 of us. I've been roasting a chicken for him & me, since a turkey is way too much for 2, even thought we both like leftovers. She makes a vegetarian entree (lately, Crescent Dragonwagon's Jewish-style "brisket" pot roast dish made with seitan and a bunch of vegetables); we all eat some of that. We also *love* most of the traditional side dishes so we usually make my family's bread dressing and whole-berry cranberry sauce, at least. My daughter often makes one or two non-traditional dips or things to nibble on during the day; my favorite is a miso-ginger-walnut dip adapted from a Mark Bittman recipe.

Last year we joined mutual friends who live across the road from my daughter & her husband, and we're doing the same this year. That mixes is up a bit more. They'll be turkey, but probably pieces, not a whole roast bird. Not sure what else.

susanr Colorado
11/13/17 4:18 pm

I've been looking at 2 other potential dishes for this year - scalloped sweet potatoes, and a winter squash stuffed with quinoa, corn and cherry tomatoes. Not sure if I'll get around to making either for Thanksgiving, though.

Oh, and dessert of course. Probably apple pie, homemade by my daughter.

jstahl Build that wall
11/13/17 5:48 pm

Yum! My mom always made mashed potatoes with mozzarella cheese and garlic, and now I make it. So good!

susanr Colorado
11/13/17 10:57 pm

That sounds really great!

jstahl Build that wall
11/14/17 6:50 am

It really is. We only make it once a year, and it's one of the things I look forward to most.

susanr Colorado
11/14/17 5:56 pm

Now you have me craving it! I don't think we usually do mashed potatoes, because my daughter's dish includes potatoes (and carrots, parsnips & celery), so it seems redundant. I don't even know what we'll have this year, but if anyone makes mashed potatoes I'm going to suggest your mother's version.