DerekWills November 13th, 2017 4:17pm

I want a serious discussion. I favor harsh penalties against those who falsely accuse others of sexual assault, but I want to encourage victims to come forward. I don’t want a victim to go to prison because a court was unable to prosecute her rapist.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/14/17 11:45 am

If Sally says bob raped her in 1985 in his office on Apple Blvd at 9am and Bob is running for a senate seat, then we need to check it out. If it turns out Sally was lying because Bob took a leave of absence all of 1985 and 1986 to work out of an office in London, England. Then Sally should have a bit of explaining to do. However, if Bob was at his office everyday in 1985 and she can describe what the interior looked like etc., then it’s he said, she said and no one should go to prison. However, if more and more allegations surface and all are credible, then Bob should have some problems. At the very least, drop out of the race.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
11/14/17 9:59 am

Coming forward after many years of suffering from the memory of the assault takes courage, knowing that you will be attacked upon disclosure.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
11/13/17 8:58 pm

I think no one should be thrown in jail unless it can be proven either way. Prove it was a false accusation or prove it was true.

lendluke iowa
11/13/17 5:52 pm

That is a difficult problem to solve. I think we should always err on the side of caution. I would rather have ten rapists go free than one innocent go to jail, similarly I would rather have ten false accusers go free then one who was actually raped go to jail.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/13/17 3:48 pm

I think the penalty that should be med out for falsely reporting any crime should be public flogging and a YouTube video. Nothing works better than publicly shaming someone.
Maybe we can bring back the pillory and stocks?

chinito Florida
11/13/17 3:13 pm

Unless you can absolutely prove that it didn't happen and the accuser made it up to damage the man, there should be no penalty.

You should be able to prove intent and that without a doubt it didn't happen. Like a video or proof that he was in a different country at that time.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
11/13/17 3:03 pm

I'm fine with harsh penalties if and only if you can prove malicious intent. Making a mistake should not be a crime.

MrsCrayonWax
11/13/17 2:42 pm

I think there is a difference (or should be) between false allegations and taking someone to court and losing. I’d say a lack of credible evidence would mean a DA would be unable to bring a charge and trial. Somewhere in that gray area is the answer but I don’t have it.

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
11/13/17 2:03 pm

Although I agree with the notion of higher penalties for false accusers I don't think that's a good idea.
It is already illegal to bear false witness/ or to file a false report, that should be enough.

Hogoke Constitution
11/13/17 1:20 pm

If it's obvious that they lied then I'd say not only give them the punishment the accused would've had but charge them for lying under oath too. The jury should decide if she was lying or not, there'd have to be a lot of evidence defending the defendant.

Qwesticles North Carolina
11/13/17 12:09 pm

People who falsely accuse others of sexual assault is disgusting. They should face the same penalty their victim would’ve. Although, it is hard to prove false accusations. I hope everything works out for the right people.

thebarr
11/13/17 10:53 am

Burden of proof both ways. There should be proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the person committed the assault before they are imprisoned. There should also be proof beyond a reasonable doubt that it was a lie before a person is prosecuted for lying.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
11/13/17 10:28 am

It’s certainly a tough subject because both instances are so hard to prove in most cases.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/13/17 9:47 am

It’s definitely a serious issue that needs to be addressed. It would be difficult to prove that an accuser acted out of malice rather than seeking justice.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/13/17 9:19 am

This is a touchy subject, and one with a legitimate slippery slope. Many victims remain silent for years; sometimes decades. The longer time goes on, the harder it is to prove. So how do we punish those who maliciously falsely accuse people of sexual assault without pushing true victims deeper into silence?

bower8899 ...
11/13/17 9:32 am

My opinion- we don't. This isn't something you can prove disprove.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/13/17 9:34 am

So there shouldn’t be any penalty for knowingly accusing someone of a sexual assault that never happened?

jrpacman Pensum iocus est
11/13/17 9:37 am

Victim proves allegations true: accused is guilty
Accused proves allegations false: victim guilty
Neither can prove: ?? Nothing?? I'm not sure about this case

bower8899 ...
11/13/17 9:41 am

There should, I suppose, but I don't know how you could prove this in most cases.

historylover Navy Seawolves
11/13/17 11:28 am

There should be repercussions for lying about sexual assault and harassment. It's a very complicated matter though. Even employment law is too tilted in favor of the employee. An employee can put a fellow worker or supervisor through hell. Most claims are never proven, and the accused has almost no rights. Many times, the accused is not even supposed to know what she has been accused of. But a murdered has the right to look accusers in the eye in court. A lot of changes should be made to our legal system.

historylover Navy Seawolves
11/13/17 11:29 am

murderer. Need edit feature.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/13/17 11:31 am

It's the PUBLIC that should be punished for being so stupid, ignorant biased and prejudiced as to believe rumors and take action on those rumors before they are fact checked.
Jobs
Careers
Lives
Are at stake here.
Millions were executed during the holocaust and subsequent Stalin years based upon evil rumors.
The communist hunt down in this country was not a lot kinder.
Character assassination is only possible when the public are willing to buy bullshit