gluxford1 November 13th, 2017 3:49pm

In an NYT op-ed, a professor asked aloud if it's okay for his kids to be friends with white people. He implied that the answer is no & that whites can't be trusted. Does it disturb you that people like this are shaping young minds in universities?

gluxford1 Arizona
11/16/17 6:43 pm

Only in your fantasy land of racist generalizations.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/13/17 8:52 pm

I agree that there is a problem with that comment. However, that being said, some people on here seem to have a real problem with college professors. First of all, while it is true that some of them are far-left wing, this is not true of all of them. They are mostly found within political science and social science disciplines. Second, college students aren’t necessarily as impressionable as one seems to think. If they have developed critical thinking skills, they should be able to see through a biased or blatantly false argument. At least I know I did, although I only took one class with a clearly biased professor. I don’t think that as many college students are being “indoctrinated” as some users here seem to think they are.

TheSpookyGhost paleoconservative
11/14/17 3:10 am

This sort of blatant indoctrination isn't as bad. It's the subtle, pervasive, and persistent sort that's really damaging.

azsageguy
11/13/17 12:17 pm

To me that looks like a good exercise in questioning authority. Which needs to be done more often.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 12:37 pm

Teaching your kids that some people are inherently untrustworthy because of your skin color is "good critical thinking" in your view? Explain why.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 12:38 pm

Correction: How does teaching young people that an entire racial group is inherently untrustworthy because of their skin color a good exercise in questioning authority?

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/13/17 3:53 pm

AZ. Would still find it acceptable if the professor said, “blacks can’t be trusted”?

azsageguy
11/14/17 6:42 am

I grew up with people around me saying that "You can't trust Blacks or Mexicans". I kept asking why until there was a satisfactory answer given. When no real answer was given, then I realized it was bullshit. People are the same no matter the color.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/14/17 9:20 am

Except for white people?

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/14/17 10:23 am

Az. So you are saying it is ok to be racist against whites but not against blacks or Mexicans?

azsageguy
11/15/17 6:08 pm

Think: you're missing my point. People need to think for themselves and not accept what people in authority tell them to think.

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/15/17 7:26 pm

I know. Lefties in authority have told me it is only ok to be racist against someone if they are white. I thought for myself and know racism is bad against any race.

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/13/17 11:52 am

Yes. The left has turned many institutions of higher learning into places of lower living. Time to clean these places up!

Jazzy5 USA
11/13/17 10:18 am

This is disturbing. That a parent/teacher would slant their child or student in this way. However:
According to the FBI’s uniform crime-reporting data for 2016, 90.1 percent of black victims of homicide were killed by other blacks, while 83.5 percent of whites were killed by other whites. While no life is inconsequential, the statistical evidence shows that—just as for blacks when it comes to black-on-black crime—whites are mostly victimized by other whites, with the vast majority of white murders committed by whites. This is because most victims of crime personally know their assailants

cowboy Doors of Perception
11/13/17 9:38 am

The Communists have been doing this since universities existed in the U.S.

mitchman399 Oregon
11/13/17 9:55 am

This is exactly the opposite of communism. Communism is about having no classes and everyone being completely equal. That being said this is still terrible.

cowboy Doors of Perception
11/13/17 9:56 am

Is that what your Marxist professor told you? Poor uneducated kid.

mitchman399 Oregon
11/13/17 10:52 am

I agree what the professor did is wrong. You can hate communism and you can hate what this professor did, but what the professor did is not communism.

cowboy Doors of Perception
11/13/17 10:55 am

I really sure you disagree with that Communist. 🙄

susanr Colorado
11/13/17 9:24 am

Gluxford, I got a notification for a comment in this poll, in which you must have tagged me, but I don't see the comment itself here. It must be a reply to someone who has me on ignore. I get the gist of it, though, from what shows in the notification: you didn't get a notification for that user's comment in your poll, right?

This is the 3rd person you're having notification issues with, then. I would ask here "Why is it always *you*, except that ironically, I just noticed I've got a notification issue *myself.* I didn't get a notification that I was *tagged* in a different poll earlier this morning, but I've been tagged in 2 others since then, and gotten notifications for both.

So I'm wondering if this is *very* common and we just don't notice it. I'll add this to my report. (No reply from SOH on that, yes...)

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 9:27 am

Yeah, that makes 3 people that it's happened to so far. It's happened to me twice now. It happened to @think4yourself and you once so far. Is it a server problem or something?

susanr Colorado
11/13/17 9:36 am

I have no idea. I'm not a programmer (what bits of FORTRAN IV I learned in 1962 aren't helpful here...) but I would think that a server problem would hit more consistently; that is, that if I didn't receive one notification of a tag, I'd think I wouldn't receive any, from any users.

I wonder if there's any consistency with the user *combination.* Do you receive *other* notifications from any of those 3 users at all, or other notifications of the same type from them? If you're not sure, could you ask the user in this poll to post another separate comment (not a reply, a new comment) in this poll and maybe in one of your other still open polls as well, and see if you get notifications for those?

If you do get them, maybe it's something that hits sort of randomly.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 10:13 am

I think it just stopped showing me notifications from those users altogether.

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
11/13/17 8:56 am

People will innately understand that his actions are racist even though their politics may for a time cloud their judgment. His actions will ultimately work against his agenda and drive more people to the right. It's stuff like this that led to President Trump's election. His actions are like a small contributary that combines with others to form a current that wins elections.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 9:00 am

Agreed. Well said!

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 9:03 am

For some reason your comment didn't show up in my notifications column. I had to click on the poll to see it.
@susanr it's happening again.

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
11/13/17 9:13 am

“Tributary,” not contributory.

omniku dot com
11/13/17 12:42 pm

Also agree but I don’t understand why it should drive people to the right. There was a time when the conservative philosophy had no racial affiliation, in fact many blacks were Republicans. Is conservatism now an inherently white philosophy?

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 12:47 pm

It drives people to the right by showing how insane, extreme, and race-obsessed the left has become.

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
11/13/17 1:04 pm

People offended by racism will see its pervasive use in the democrat party and some percentage of them will start voting the other way.

Okie1967 Is Biden self aware
11/13/17 1:38 pm

Some will also begin to question everything else they’ve been told by the democrats and will change some opinions.....eventually.

omniku dot com
11/13/17 4:07 pm

But how do you know the professor is a liberal/Democrat?

omniku dot com
11/14/17 6:29 am

Yeah. That’s what I’m asking. Is it now just assumed that Democrats are the party of non-white people and Republicans are the party of white people?

gluxford1 Arizona
11/13/17 8:53 am

It's extremely disturbing. Openly and rabidly racist people like this professor should not be in charge of shaping the minds of America's future. Also, it's people like this professor that caused the rise of the equally regressive alt-right. Rhetoric like this from crazed leftist professors only serves to create more division.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/13/17 11:34 am

70% of university level professors are sympathetic to Marxist philosophies!

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/14/17 7:35 pm

It is THE problem. Young minds and not established political parties Define our future.